Building a system for a quiet medical environment

sky_scourge14

Hey 

i have to build a pc for a sleep study, this will be right next to a sleeping person so you can imagine how quiet it must be our competitor's price is $3000 we will sell it from around $2000 - 2500 (not concerned) 

Competitor's specs (all i know):

Cpu: i7 3770

ram: 8gb

Gpu: 8800 gts

My specs: 

CASE-FDR4-thbblk.jpg Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl  In stock $149.00  button_update_cart.gif$149.00 btn_x.gifCMPSU-RM750-thumb.gif Corsair RM-750 80 Plus Gold Power Supply  In stock $189.00  button_update_cart.gif$189.00 btn_x.gifcorei7_thumb.jpg Intel Core i7 3770  In stock $349.00  button_update_cart.gif$349.00 btn_x.gifSH-224DB-thumb.jpg Samsung SH-224DB 24x DVDRW OEM  In stock $19.00  button_update_cart.gif$19.00 btn_x.gifwd-green_thumb.jpg Western Digital WD Green 1TB WD10EZRX  In stock $69.00  button_update_cart.gif$69.00 btn_x.gifNF-P12-PWMs.jpg Noctua NF-P12 PWM 120mm Fan  In stock $29.00  button_update_cart.gif$29.00 btn_x.gifGV-N660OC-2GDbbs.jpg Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB  In stock $229.00  button_update_cart.gif$229.00 btn_x.gifKHX16C10B1K2-16X_s.jpg Kingston HyperX KHX16C10B1K2/16X (2x8GB) DDR3  In stock $179.00  button_update_cart.gif$179.00 btn_x.gifMSIGD80.jpg MSI Z77A-GD80 Motherboard  Ships in 24hrs $169.00  button_update_cart.gif$169.00 btn_x.gif
Sub-Total: $1381.00

how can we make this more silent and still keep up with the competitor and is there anything speical about 8800 gts for a $3000 build ? 

I think the only thing special about the 8800 gts in a $3000 build is that it's awkward.

What's the system being used for?

This should be in the New Builds and Planning section btw.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What are the requirements for this PC? How powerful does it need to be?

As long as you have silent coolers, your system will be quiet. The main concern is the GPU and the HDD for as far as I can see. I'd go with an SSD and a custom loop for absolute silence.

The 8800 GTS is an OLD card that isn't manufactered anymore afaik.

well you see we cannot put water coolers (dont ask customers order) next it's going to be used with a software called "nexus laboratory management" and ssd has read and write times which wont last and its for 24 hour use anyway so doesn't need a fast boot time

Try an ssd for complete silenc, are you gonna use stock cpu cooler? 

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

I think the only thing special about the 8800 gts in a $3000 build is that it's awkward.

What's the system being used for?

This should be in the New Builds and Planning section btw.

sorry new here :P

Try an ssd for complete silenc, are you gonna use stock cpu cooler? 

yep that seems like the cheapest option

well you see we cannot put water coolers (dont ask customers order) next it's going to be used with a software called "nexus laboratory management" and ssd has read and write times which wont last and its for 24 hour use anyway so doesn't need a fast boot time

A ssd has limited writes and not reads. Also, a good modern ssd should easily last longer than you need it to. 

http://www.compumedics.com/prod_content_frame.asp?id=4&item=software

update i think that is the software using for this and also linus says that is a quiet hard drive its going to be up for 24 hrs for at least a year so......

also noctua will be used for rear exhaust unless others have a better solution 

My recommendations: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/208ry

Remove all stock case and heatsink fans.

Use the S12A ULN's. 1 for front intake, 1 for rear exhaust. NF-F12 for Hyper 212 Evo. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

yep that seems like the cheapest option

Stock cooler and a silent build?

Goodluck... Those things are loud. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

Stock cooler and a silent build?

Goodluck... Those things are loud. 

With decent airflow, they aren't loud at all.

Stock CPU cooler in a silent build is NOT going to work. It is by far the most noisy component in an average build.

At near idle, it's not that bad, but if they put any kind of load on it, then yes, that will be a problem

At near idle, it's not that bad, but if they put any kind of load on it, then yes, that will be a problem

It really is that bad, trust me, I'm running one on my 3930K right now until I figure out what I want to run it with.

It really is that bad, trust me, I'm running one on my 3930K right now until I figure out what I want to run it with.

I have used it on my home server (which sits in my bedroom and is online 24/7) and it really wasn't so bad.

I have used it on my home server (which sits in my bedroom and is online 24/7) and it really wasn't so bad.

What chip were you running?

Edited by MG2R
Mistake, see below

its in a always air conditioned room so it don't have to work as hard and also ssd if it has limited write  doesnt that mean a hard drive will last longer than ssd and also i dont have all the money the world cause i have to buy 8 of these :P

What chip were you running?

Low-end celeron. Now, you might think "yeah, that's a very low power chip". And while you're right, at idle, the power output of low-end and high-end CPU's doesn't differ that much. That's why I said "at near idle"

@Hans Christian | Teri : sorry man, it seems like I accidently edited your post instead of replying to it. I've changed the post back to what I think your question was and the above sentence was my answer to that question.

its in a always air conditioned room so it don't have to work as hard and also ssd if it has limited write  doesnt that mean a hard drive will last longer than ssd and also i dont have all the money the world cause i have to buy 8 of these :P

Even in an air conditioned room, if you put any kind of actual load on the CPU, that stock fan will ramp up quickly. I'd say test it out and after that decide which cooler seems right for you.

According to SSD write endurance tests, SSDs can actually take quite a bit of writes before (like more than 600TB on a 120GB drive, IIRC) they die of. My recommendation would be to write everything to a NAS system which sits outside of the room and just have SSD for OS+software. You don't only gain silence, but also data redundancy that way ;)

The pc is just acting as a dump then the files recorded from there will go to the main server though rendering those files temporarily will be very big on the hard drive 

If the storage requirements are high and you want quiet + reliable then go with WD Reds. Although I'm not sure what the load would be with the above and how that sort of cost would be justified. What's the need for the GPU if it's just doing monitoring? Could you get away with integrated graphics? If the goal is as quiet as possible then a graphics card of any reasonable spec is going to have a fan that's louder than most of the other components. In terms of loudness it'll most often be:

#1 GPU cooler

#2 CPU cooler

#3 HDDs

#4 Case fans

#5 PSU

If the aim is for as quiet as is possible with no water cooling with that application. Maybe something closer to this?

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.00 @ CPL Online) 
CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($75.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Motherboard:  Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case:  Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($128.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply:  Corsair RM 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($144.00) (PLE)
Total: $796.00

and swap out the WD Red for an SSD if you find even the WD Red too loud or if/when you realise that the storage requirements aren't nearly as high. Which I'm fairly certain is the case.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Hard drives are ticking time bombs that will randomly die on you. Ssd's are you durable, have no moving parts, and modern ones tested to last ~250 years with a decent amount of daily writes. They'll likely last longer than you need them to. 

The pc is just acting as a dump then the files recorded from there will go to the main server though rendering those files temporarily will be very big on the hard drive 

Btw, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

• Fanless psu, Seasonic ~US$120.

Integrated graphics.

SSD, up to 1TB ~US$90 - $650, current generation can take upwards of 200TB writes. Or, go with an Enterprise unit like Intel 710 ~US$1,400 (500TB - 1.5PB writes life span).

Noctua NH-L9i cpu cooler ~US$50, not much better than stock cooling wise, but substantially quieter.

i5-4570S ~US$205.

Fractal-Design Define Mini mATX case ~US$100.

If needed, replace 120mm case fans with Corsair AF-120 Quiet Edition ~US$15 each.

mATX motherboard of choice

memory of choice

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

• Integrated graphics.
  • SSD, up to 1TB ~US$90 - $650, current generation can take upwards of 200TB writes. Or, go with an Enterprise unit like Intel 710 ~US$1,400 (500TB - 1.5PB writes life span).
  • Noctua NH-L9i cpu cooler ~US$50, not much better than stock cooling wise, but substantially quieter.
  • i5-4570S ~US$205.
  • Fractal-Design Define Mini mATX case ~US$100.
  • If needed, replace 120mm case fans with Corsair AF-120 Quiet Edition ~US$15 each.
  • mATX motherboard of choice
  • memory of choice

Corsair AF120's aren't that quiet compared to most of the Noctua selection.

Speaking of which, the NH-L9i is not that quiet compared to other higher profile coolers.

• Integrated graphics.
  • SSD, up to 1TB ~US$90 - $650, current generation can take upwards of 200TB writes. Or, go with an Enterprise unit like Intel 710 ~US$1,400 (500TB - 1.5PB writes life span).
  • Noctua NH-L9i cpu cooler ~US$50, not much better than stock cooling wise, but substantially quieter.
  • i5-4570S ~US$205.
  • Fractal-Design Define Mini mATX case ~US$100.
  • If needed, replace 120mm case fans with Corsair AF-120 Quiet Edition ~US$15 each.
  • mATX motherboard of choice
  • memory of choice

If the storage requirements are high and you want quiet + reliable then go with WD Reds. Although I'm not sure what the load would be with the above and how that sort of cost would be justified. What's the need for the GPU if it's just doing monitoring? Could you get away with integrated graphics? If the goal is as quiet as possible then a graphics card of any reasonable spec is going to have a fan that's louder than most of the other components. In terms of loudness it'll most often be:

#1 GPU cooler

#2 CPU cooler

#3 HDDs

#4 Case fans

#5 PSU

If the aim is for as quiet as is possible with no water cooling with that application. Maybe something closer to this?

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.00 @ CPL Online) 
CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($75.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Motherboard:  Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case:  Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($128.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply:  Corsair RM 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($144.00) (PLE)
Total: $796.00

and swap out the WD Red for an SSD if you find even the WD Red too loud or if/when you realise that the storage requirements aren't nearly as high. Which I'm fairly certain is the case.

http://pccasegear.com/

guys has to be on this website please i can only get it from here or www,hallmark.com.au