NBN co Announces first Fibre-to-the-curb Suburbs

SammoFS
3 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

my friend is on iinet, hes on the cable plan. he usually got 88mbps now he only gets 8mbps

It was much worse in Brisbane, was getting a decent 8/1 but a couple months after being bought out by TPG, that droped to 1/0. I literally could not upload anything. Switched to telstra since, now have 20/1 cable. Still terrible upload. 

Just now, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

It was much worse in Brisbane, was getting a decent 8/1 but a couple months after being bought out by TPG, that droped to 1/0. I literally could not upload anything. Switched to telstra since, now have 20/1 cable. Still terrible upload. 

im on tpg at my mums house. 4/0.80 it sucks. at my step-dads house it's 30/2

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Flip the table again?

8JLXG4.jpg

180?cb=20100702150413

Looks like a great price. I pay 35euros for 2mbps down in Germany.

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Looks like a great price. I pay 35euros for 2mbps down in Germany.

rip

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

It australian HFC just bad or something? I'm on Canadian HFC on docsis 3.0 (though 3.1 for downstream is available i havent switched modems yet), I get gigabit down/50 up. Gigabit up will happen once docsis 3.1 is fully rolled out I'm told.

And who though fiber to the curb instead of FTTP was a good idea, I thought all the work was getting it up to the curb. Curb to house should be much easier right?

"VDSL2 allows for the same speed as FTTP: 100/40" 

VDSL2.   USING FIBER.    AT ONLY 100/40 mbps.     Is this real life?

I'm impressed they are managing speeds that low on a new fiber buildout.

This entire situation makes no sense.

Edited by Swatson
mad

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

49 minutes ago, Swatson said:

It australian HFC just bad or something? I'm on Canadian HFC on docsis 3.0 (though 3.1 for downstream is available i havent switched modems yet), I get gigabit down/50 up. Gigabit up will happen once docsis 3.1 is fully rolled out I'm told.

And who though fiber to the curb instead of FTTP was a good idea, I thought all the work was getting it up to the curb. Curb to house should be much easier right?

"VDSL2 allows for the same speed as FTTP: 100/40" 

VDSL2.   USING FIBER.    AT ONLY 100/40 mbps.     Is this real life?

I'm impressed they are managing speeds that low on a new fiber buildout.

This entire situation makes no sense.

the reason people are doubting gigabit speeds on docsis3.1 on hfc is because nbn has been horrible.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Fibre to the Curb is probably so the NBN boxes are not located on private property, meaning the techs don't have to enter said private property to replace a faulty unit or stuff. That and so NBN doesn't have to try and (re)wire whole apartment blocks too (a Fibre-Copper convert box maintained by the apartment complex makes retrofitting easier probably).

Also, if you qualify to get Skymesh's FTTP 100/40mbps NBN connections, for the same $100/month (rounded up) as their FE12600 (600GB+1.2TB) & 2000-Special (1TB+1TB) plans, Westnet/iiNet provides FTTP 100/40mbps NBN that's Unlimited with Pay-As-You-Go phone calls.

On the flip side, if you're stuck with Fixed Wireless 25/5mbps, you're still paying less for the same or more data - $80/month (local & standard national calls) for Unlimited Fixed Wireless, compared to the WB2600 (25/5) or WD6240 (50/20) plans at $85/month from Skymesh.

NBN Sat is a mixed bag for 25/5mbps comparisons, as $55/month will net you the 120GB/month (40+80) plan (Off-Peak being 1am-7am local) from Westnet/iiNet, whilst Skymesh has the SB-35-50 (85GB/month) plan for $60/month or the SB-50-70 (120GB/month) for $125/month being the closest price-wise and data-wise plans I can see on the 25/5mbps option.

<Note: All prices for Skymesh services are NOT including the Discounted or Bundled values, trying to compare worst-case pricing without (if possible) phones & calls baked in on both sides in comparing plans.>

If I missed any better comparisons looking at speed-to-speed and dollar-to-dollar values, it wouldn't surprise me being like 4am when I'm typing this and I could do with some sleep soon. >.>;

1 minute ago, Technous285 said:

Fibre to the Curb is probably so the NBN boxes are not located on private property, meaning the techs don't have to enter said private property to replace a faulty unit or stuff. That and so NBN doesn't have to try and (re)wire whole apartment blocks too (a Fibre-Copper convert box maintained by the apartment complex makes retrofitting easier probably).

Also, if you qualify to get Skymesh's FTTP 100/40mbps NBN connections, for the same $100/month (rounded up) as their FE12600 (600GB+1.2TB) & 2000-Special (1TB+1TB) plans, Westnet/iiNet provides FTTP 100/40mbps NBN that's Unlimited with Pay-As-You-Go phone calls.

On the flip side, if you're stuck with Fixed Wireless 25/5mbps, you're still paying less for the same or more data - $80/month (local & standard national calls) for Unlimited Fixed Wireless, compared to the WB2600 (25/5) or WD6240 (50/20) plans at $85/month from Skymesh.

NBN Sat is a mixed bag for 25/5mbps comparisons, as $55/month will net you the 120GB/month (40+80) plan (Off-Peak being 1am-7am local) from Westnet/iiNet, whilst Skymesh has the SB-35-50 (85GB/month) plan for $60/month or the SB-50-70 (120GB/month) for $125/month being the closest price-wise and data-wise plans I can see on the 25/5mbps option.

<Note: All prices for Skymesh services are NOT including the Discounted or Bundled values, trying to compare worst-case pricing without (if possible) phones & calls baked in on both sides in comparing plans.>

If I missed any better comparisons looking at speed-to-speed and dollar-to-dollar values, it wouldn't surprise me being like 4am when I'm typing this and I could do with some sleep soon. >.>;

its 4am here too dude. im up waiting for amd's stream. (capsaicin and cream) *cough* My Republic has been the best performance imo *cough* you pay 59.99/69.95 per month/month to month (I don't know the difference) for 100/40 and honestly, from their customers responses, It's been very very good

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

1 minute ago, Rika Shiguma said:

its 4am here too dude. im up waiting for amd's stream. (capsaicin and cream) *cough* My Republic has been the best performance imo *cough* you pay 59.99/69.95 per month/month to month (I don't know the difference) for 100/40 and honestly, from their customers responses, It's been very very good

It being 4am isn't a good thing for trying to think if you've been up since around 1:30pm yesterday - brain is tryna shut down. :P

Anyways, I'm paying $89.90/month (inc $29.95 landline) for the Grandfathered Home-3 Turbo (350GB/month Anytime "upto" ADSL2+ speeds) from Westnet that's capped at 8032/384kbps "ADSL" thanks to an old Telstra local exchange... Plus $55/month for Westnet's NBN Sat 120 Boost (40+80 upto 25/5mbps) for dad's net.

I'm sitting on the old-but-large ADSL connection as I need the lower ping times for my online gaming (NBN Sat doesn't get below 500ms, but ADSL gets 50-250ms depending if Aus servers or US/NA ones), plus I can safely set-and-forget to download large items (like 5-10GB) whilst I'm sleeping on it, whilst we got the NBN Sat for dad since he doesn't do much down/uploading but I can tap in and use it for WAY faster uploading of stuff to like YT than compared to using the ADSL (0.384mbps Vs. 5mbps, the ADSL provides 3/40th's of the upload speed compared to the Sat).

3 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

It being 4am isn't a good thing for trying to think if you've been up since around 1:30pm yesterday - brain is tryna shut down. :P

Anyways, I'm paying $89.90/month (inc $29.95 landline) for the Grandfathered Home-3 Turbo (350GB/month Anytime "upto" ADSL2+ speeds) from Westnet that's capped at 8032/384kbps "ADSL" thanks to an old Telstra local exchange... Plus $55/month for Westnet's NBN Sat 120 Boost (40+80 upto 25/5mbps) for dad's net.

I'm sitting on the old-but-large ADSL connection as I need the lower ping times for my online gaming (NBN Sat doesn't get below 500ms, but ADSL gets 50-250ms depending if Aus servers or US/NA ones), plus I can safely set-and-forget to download large items (like 5-10GB) whilst I'm sleeping on it, whilst we got the NBN Sat for dad since he doesn't do much down/uploading but I can tap in and use it for WAY faster uploading of stuff to like YT than compared to using the ADSL (0.384mbps Vs. 5mbps, the ADSL provides 3/40th's of the upload speed compared to the Sat).

only reason im up now is because i did an all nighter lastnight and slept at 8am and woke up at like 3pm.

Im on 4/0.80 and my mum is paying 59.95 when we could be paying $80 for 30/2 (Cable) We can't get nbn yet :/

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Just now, Rika Shiguma said:

only reason im up now is because i did an all nighter lastnight and slept at 8am and woke up at like 3pm.

Im on 4/0.80 and my mum is paying 59.95 when we could be paying $80 for 30/2 (Cable) We can't get nbn yet :/

Can't even get cable in my part of the Riverina (hell, don't even really get Digital-FTA here). Lockhart (about 45km drive away) has NBN Fixed Wireless but the NBN crews have completely avoided my town even though Oaklands & Jerilderie have got NBN Fixed Wireless and my town sits basically on a North-South & East-West crossroad! >.<

And the NBN site refuses to provide anything resembling their old 3-year Construction Plan page where you could find out when folks are gonna get FTT* or Fixed Wireless, now it's some BS search engine that gives me the same crap I can find out on Westnet/iiNet or Skymesh.

1 minute ago, Technous285 said:

Can't even get cable in my part of the Riverina (hell, don't even really get Digital-FTA here). Lockhart (about 45km drive away) has NBN Fixed Wireless but the NBN crews have completely avoided my town even though Oaklands & Jerilderie have got NBN Fixed Wireless and my town sits basically on a North-South & East-West crossroad! >.<

And the NBN site refuses to provide anything resembling their old 3-year Construction Plan page where you could find out when folks are gonna get FTT* or Fixed Wireless, now it's some BS search engine that gives me the same crap I can find out on Westnet/iiNet or Skymesh.

lmfao

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

The thing is no ISP wants to pay nbnco $150 just for the AVC of 1000/400 mbit/s (and we haven't gotten to the CVC they have to commission as well)so they just offer 100/40 which is $38

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

18 hours ago, leadeater said:

Flip the table again?

snip

Those speeds are available to RSPs in Australia already but for some reason NBN is charging ridiculous CVC costs (like $23/Mbit). Once these are inevitably reduced the RSPs will start providing it. MyRepublic in Australia is pushing for 1000/400 plans to be available this year. (Same price)

EDIT: It's slowly being reduced, from NBN site.

nbn introduced the industry average discount model for CVC last year. This move saw the effective unit price per Mbps drop from $17.50 to $15.75 in June 2016. This was followed by a further reduction to $15.25 in December 2016. 

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

3 minutes ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Those speeds are available to RSPs in Australia already but for some reason NBN is charging ridiculous CVC costs (like $23/Mbit). Once these are inevitably reduced the RSPs will start providing it. MyRepublic in Australia is pushing for 1000/400 plans to be available this year. (Same price)

EDIT: It's slowly being reduced, from NBN site.

nbn introduced the industry average discount model for CVC last year. This move saw the effective unit price per Mbps drop from $17.50 to $15.75 in June 2016. This was followed by a further reduction to $15.25 in December 2016. 

It's also good for you to know we had the same issue and ran the Gigatown competition as well. Without that we would also be stuck on 100Mbps max.

34 minutes ago, PerfectTemplar said:

19 hours ago, leadeater said:

Flip the table again?

snip

Its $17.5 per mbit, also RSPs get discounts based on how much CVC they purchase. Its called dimensions based discounting

Here is the current price list for Wholesale: http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/sfaa-wba2-product-catalogue-price-list_20161205.pdf

42 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Its $17.5 per mbit, also RSPs get discounts based on how much CVC they purchase. Its called dimensions based discounting

Here is the current price list for Wholesale: http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/sfaa-wba2-product-catalogue-price-list_20161205.pdf

Chorus’ residential wholesale gigabit broadband service will be available to broadband retailers at an introductory price of $60 per month until 30 June 2017 after which it increases to $65 per month. The business service will be priced at $75 per month from launch.

NBN prices suck

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

NBN prices suck

no sh*t

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

1 hour ago, Rika Shiguma said:

no sh*t

Meanwhile in Universities across Australia gets 1gbps.

Western Sydney Uni: 5956377752.png

22 hours ago, leadeater said:

Flip the table again?

8JLXG4.jpg

180?cb=20100702150413

Damn.... And here I am in Canada paying $60 Canadian rupees for 10 down 1 up..... GIMEEEE!!! But our cable is over subscribed with no plan to upgrade or change anything so far...... AAAAnnnddd MTS got bought out by Bell which is one of the worst isps here.... FUCKKKKK!!!!!!!!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

1 minute ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Damn.... And here I am in Canada paying $60 Canadian rupees for 10 down 1 up..... GIMEEEE!!! But our cable is over subscribed with no plan to upgrade or change anything so far...... AAAAnnnddd MTS got bought out by Bell which is one of the worst isps here.... FUCKKKKK!!!!!!!!

lol

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

12 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

WHAT THE FUCK FIG(AODFHKTHEALTHY

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

16 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

WHAT THE FUCK FIG(AODFHKTHEALTHY

That's nothing, university I work at has multiple 40Gbps connections per campus. Best to leave business connections out of this, it'll just want to make everyone cry even more.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's nothing, university I work at has multiple 40Gbps connections per campus. Best to leave business connections out of this, it'll just want to make everyone cry even more.

So when can I move in? HI NEW ZEALAND ILL BE THERE IN A FEW YEARS

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

43 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Just rollin through 

6092589349.png

idk