95% of the 500 Fastest Supercomputers Run Linux

Sasquatch43

So i found a wikipedia article that says:

"  as of June 2013, more than 95% of the world's 500 fastest supercomputers run some variant of Linux, including all the 44 fastest Linux also runs on embedded systems(devices where the operating system is typically built into the firmware and highly tailored to the system) such as mobile phones,tablet computers, network routers, building automation controls, televisions and video game consoles; the Android system in wide use on mobile devices is built on the Linux kernel."

Link to the Article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#Market_share_and_uptake

I found it really interesting that almost all of the fastest computers in the world use a variant of Linux. I was also wondering is this just because it is free or is companies that use linux to make their own OS which then causes them to have faster computers.

Thoughts?

Also sorry if this has already benn posted. I searched for it but didn't find anything.

Because Linux is light weight and open source, if you are building a super computer you need to have a lot of custom OS/Software implementations/features. This makes it easier to work with than something like a Windows platform. Linux here is essentially a base model which is heavily modified (which is the strength of Linux).

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

It's probably because Linux is extremely flexible for what they're trying to do.

I was looking into another article that said they optimize the Linux OS in each computer specifically to the hardware in them.

I was looking into another article that said they optimize the Linux OS in each computer specifically to the hardware in them.

I'm fairly sure that was what he meant. And honestly this should come as no surprise to anyone who knows anything about computers.

I thought the Chinese had a the fastest super computer and it run their own private OS? 

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/china-builds-worlds-fastest-supercomputer-20130618-2of1z.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

WHAT ??

i thought they all ran windows 95

thanks for the heads up

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Duh, the only market Linux/UNIX based OS's ISN'T dominant is the desktop market.

I thought the Chinese had a the fastest super computer and it run their own private OS? 

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/china-builds-worlds-fastest-supercomputer-20130618-2of1z.html

That's just one, and it's OS is almost certainly a derivation of Linux.

This is an interesting one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Windows can't utilize all the cores very good and if I recall correctly it has a 192 core restriction and supercomputers need more. Also you can create much more custom software for Linux for mathmatical algorithems and such

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

There are probably alot of reasons supercomputers choose linux.

Linux has a pretty high limits

It also allows for hotswapping CPUs and memory

Not very surprising, they can build their own custom version of Linux tuned for the specific hardware in the machine.

This is news? :lol:

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Duh, the only market Linux/UNIX based OS's ISN'T dominant is the desktop market.

That's just one, and it's OS is almost certainly a derivation of Linux.

This is an interesting one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS

That's my point, the article says ALL of the top 44 are Linux derivatives,  So is the Chinese their own or a derivative?

So in north korea if you are lucky enough to have a computer you can also have this heavily modified OS to monitor and control your web experience. :(

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm surprised (if true of course) that it's only 95% that run Linux. Windows is a terrible OS for high performance computing. 

That's my point, the article says ALL of the top 44 are Linux derivatives, So is the Chinese their own or a derivative?

So in north korea if you are lucky enough to have a computer you can also have this heavily modified OS to monitor and control your web experience. :(

I would say definitely. 'Linux' is a kernel, not an operating system, so there are hundreds of different OS's that use the Linux kernel that are in turn themselves classified and referred to as Linux.

Also yay for communism...

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I have a better question: what the hell does the other 5% run? DOS?

So i found a wikipedia article that says:

Link to the Article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#Market_share_and_uptake

I found it really interesting that almost all of the fastest computers in the world use a variant of Linux. I was also wondering is this just because it is free or is companies that use linux to make their own OS which then causes them to have faster computers.

Thoughts?

Also sorry if this has already benn posted. I searched for it but didn't find anything.

They must know that Windows is not the fastest or most optimized OS for speed :/ Or anything for that matter...