How do you carry around desktop+monitor?

genexis_x

Parents said that I'm insane and told me to get a laptop instead. Could anyone share your experience?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Parents said that I'm insane and told me to get a laptop instead. Could anyone share your experience?

Find the smallest PC Case you can find and buy a 15" (or so) USB powered monitor. Easy to move around now. But why would you wanna move it around? Usually desktop will not have that much of mobility.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

5 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

My case's delivery box fits my pc and all peripherals and cables, just gotta carry monitor as it is tho.

CPU: i5-7600k @4,9 GHz  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270 HD3P  RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB @ 2400MHz  GPU: Asus GTX 1060 6GB OC   Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400  Storage: Kingston V300 120GB SSD and WD Blue 1TB HDD  PSU: SeaSonic M12II520W Modular 80+ Bronze  Cooling: Cooler Master Z600 with Noctua NF-F12  Keyboard: Fnatic Rush G1 (Cherry MX blue)  Mouse:  Razer Taipan 8200dpi Headset: Logitech G35  Display: Asus VE247H,  Lenovo L192

PC box to keep PC and peripherals in, take monitor around seperately. 

idk

You may well be insane... how often do you intend to move around with your Desktop/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor Cables/Wall plugs for both monitor and PC/Additional peripherals?

You can get some pretty powerful laptops, and then get a dock to go with one and when you get home just dock it and continue working from there with an extra monitor.

Unless it'll be at home most of the time, I wouldn't recommend it being a desktop. This is my opinion though, it might be more feasible for you to get a Desktop and carry it everywhere although I can't imagine a use case for that.

Bespoke Software Engineer

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

Just now, Droidbot said:

PC box to keep PC and peripherals in

Can I put into a suitcase?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

if you're intending to move it around more than once a week and if you dont have a car to do so, just get yourself a laptop.. moving desktops around is a darn hassle.

Just now, Strayuru said:

You may well be insane... how often do you intend to move around with your Desktop/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor Cables/Wall plugs for both monitor and PC/Additional peripherals?

Not sure yet but mostly once per month

Just now, Strayuru said:

You can get some pretty powerful laptops, and then get a dock to go with one and when you get home just dock it and continue working from there with an extra monitor.

I have limited budget

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, manikyath said:

moving desktops around is a darn hassle.

Really? Haha

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Not sure yet but mostly once per month

I have limited budget

What's your budget roughly? Since it's around once a month, if you've done it well you should easily be able to move it around.

Also, what is your primary use case for this machine? Gaming, school work, studying, research, Game Dev?

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

Just now, Strayuru said:

What's your budget roughly?

RM3000-4000 (about $675-890)

Just now, Strayuru said:

Since it's around once a month, if you've done it well you should easily be able to move it around.

Alright!

Just now, Strayuru said:

Also, what is your primary use case for this machine? Gaming, school work, studying, research, Game Dev?

Gaming, school work, studying

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

RM3000-4000 (about $675-890)

Gaming, school work, studying

How heavy into gaming are you? If you're a hardcore "4K only" gamer then your needs will be much different to a casual gamer. If you play things like WoW and other MMOs without much need for insane graphics then it'll be much easier to find something within your budget.

With school work you could do it on pretty much anything if it's not too intensive.

I think it's also good to remember that if you build a desktop you can always upgrade later down the line. Obviously it'll be great getting super high specs on the first build of your machine, but you may want to keep the cost down at first and then save up later.

My desktop (I don't use it, I always work on a MacBook) is powerful enough to play most games at 60 FPS with reasonably high settings and was well within your budget.

Just now, Strayuru said:

I think it's also good to remember that if you build a desktop you can always upgrade later down the line. Obviously it'll be great getting super high specs on the first build of your machine, but you may want to keep the cost down at first and then save up later.

I play casual games like Dota 2 and CSGO but at highest settings, 1080p

Just now, Strayuru said:

Agree

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

I play casual games like Dota 2 and CSGO but at highest settings, 1080p

Agree

I'm no expert on building PCs, especially for gaming. But I think this should all work together, and be able to play most games at reasonable settings.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6hWTVY

It's just something that I threw together. I built my PC with no gaming in mind and it turned out really good as a gaming PC. Also, I haven't included an OS, I'm assuming that you have one already (to lower the costs) and the CPU is AMD to again lower costs. I have AMD in my machine and it works amazingly.

The GPU in that list is clearly not the best, but you can swap that out at any time, or at least that's what I would do if it doesn't live up to the specs I needed.

People will probably tear this build to pieces because it has AMD and a not-so-recent GPU, but in my honest opinion, it should work fine.

Just now, Strayuru said:

I'm no expert on building PCs, especially for gaming. But I think this should all work together, and be able to play most games at reasonable settings.

It's just something that I threw together. I built my PC with no gaming in mind and it turned out really good as a gaming PC. Also, I haven't included an OS, I'm assuming that you have one already (to lower the costs) and the CPU is AMD to again lower costs. I have AMD in my machine and it works amazingly.

The GPU in that list is clearly not the best, but you can swap that out at any time, or at least that's what I would do if it doesn't live up to the specs I needed.

People will probably tear this build to pieces because it has AMD and a not-so-recent GPU, but in my honest opinion, it should work fine.

Thanks. Btw I already create a part list.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Thanks. Btw I already create a part list.

If you did want to look at laptops or even show your family that the price difference is really high, show them this: http://www.dell.com/my/p/inspiron-15-7566-laptop/pd

It'd run really well anything you intend to do, but obviously, there's a nice price tag to go with it.

7 minutes ago, Strayuru said:

What? 740? 8350 just when AMD's new architecture is around the corner? 

You have a lot to learn, young padawan. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£185.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£45.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£47.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Plextor M7V 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£63.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  (£199.98 @ Novatech) 
Case: Antec NSK3100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£29.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£68.62 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £641.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-22 10:20 GMT+0000

20GBP over and the SSD is 256GB not 500+, but it's significantly higher performance. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

What? 740? 8350 just when AMD's new architecture is around the corner? 

You have a lot to learn, young padawan. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£185.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£45.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£47.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£68.62 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £641.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-22 10:20 GMT+0000

20GBP over and the SSD is 256GB not 500+, but it's significantly higher performance. 

I agree, I do not think it's the best for the price. My build was about £570 and works flawlessly, I can't complain. I can't wait for Ryzen, but I was under the impression ZM wanted a PC pretty soon. Plus personally, when pricing it all together an intel CPU was extremely expensive (on the link I sent).

Just now, Droidbot said:

1. I only need 1tb hdd and 120/128gb ssd
2. gtx1050 is fine
3. Is the case small enough? It needs to be as small/slim as possible
4. Here only have Super Flower Leadex Silver, Leadex Gold and Leadex II Gold

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Strayuru said:

I agree, I do not think it's the best for the price. My build was about £570 and works flawlessly, I can't complain. I can't wait for Ryzen, but I was under the impression ZM wanted a PC pretty soon. Plus personally, when pricing it all together an intel CPU was extremely expensive (on the link I sent).

They are expensive; Intel takes a huge profit margin on its processors. Hopefully AMD won't do the same. 

idk

Just now, Strayuru said:

but I was under the impression ZM wanted a PC pretty soon.

Not really coz I need to go to work for 3-4 months as I'm using my own money

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Strayuru said:

Plus personally, when pricing it all together an intel CPU was extremely expensive (on the link I sent).

It's okay. The pentium g4560 is a solid budget option.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler