Windows 10 Install, Taking forever to format the drive

bobhays
Go to solution Solved by bobhays,
3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If it doesn't, use Rufus with the official ISO.

It did work, I can't believe all of this was because the cable might've been a little loose and didn't show up in anything other than the OS installation. 

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my desktop with Windows 8. I decided to do a clean install instead of an upgrade. I plugged in the boot USB and got the drive formatting part. I deleted both partitions (that windows creates) on my SSD and then selected it and clicked new. The drive had been formatting for over 20 minutes so I decided to restart. When I got back to the same part it showed 2 partitions, one was the small partition windows makes, the 2nd was the main unallocated space. This time instead of clicking new I just pressed next but it's still stuck trying to format the drive.

What can I do to get the drive to finish formatting?

I would personally make an ubuntu usb, boot it, use Gparted to make a single partition over the full disk, quick format it, then create a new partiton table and reboot to the windows installer.

Let me know if you want detailed instructions for the above, but you should be able to youtube

4 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

I would personally make an ubuntu usb, boot it, use Gparted to make a single partition over the full disk, quick format it, then create a new partiton table and reboot to the windows installer.

Let me know if you want detailed instructions for the above, but you should be able to youtube

Thanks, I was thinking of doing that but was wondering if there was an easier way than making a portable linux drive. I guess I'll just try that

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

probably a bad drive.

It could be, but I've been using it for years without much of a problem. That being said, using it might not be exclusive to formatting issues.

1 minute ago, bobhays said:

Thanks, I was thinking of doing that but was wondering if there was an easier way than making a portable linux drive. I guess I'll just try that

It could be, but I've been using it for years without much of a problem. That being said, using it might not be exclusive to formatting issues.

It could also be permission errors. once had a laptop that could only write to a single drive at a time, and when I booted a windows usb, it chose to have write access to the usb instead of the hard drive, that was awkward that was

34 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

It could also be permission errors. once had a laptop that could only write to a single drive at a time, and when I booted a windows usb, it chose to have write access to the usb instead of the hard drive, that was awkward that was

Ok I just used gparted and wiped all the partitions and redid the partition table as MSDOS and it's still stuck.

4 minutes ago, bobhays said:

Ok I just used gparted and wiped all the partitions and redid the partition table as MSDOS and it's still stuck.

do you have another pc? you could install windows to the same drive using another pc.

You would need to remove all drives from the working pc (storage drives) and connect the one you are trying to install windows too. (IMPORTANT, Make sure you remove ALL DRIVES except the one you want to install windows to!) otherwise the windows installer may detect other windows installs and overwrite them

Install windows as normal, using the working pc

during the install it will count down from 10, and say it will automatically reboot (DO NOT LET IT) 

during this 10 seconds you need to hold the power button on the pc, force it to turn off

put the hard drive back in the broken pc

25 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

do you have another pc? you could install windows to the same drive using another pc.

You would need to remove all drives from the working pc (storage drives) and connect the one you are trying to install windows too. (IMPORTANT, Make sure you remove ALL DRIVES except the one you want to install windows to!) otherwise the windows installer may detect other windows installs and overwrite them

Install windows as normal, using the working pc

during the install it will count down from 10, and say it will automatically reboot (DO NOT LET IT) 

during this 10 seconds you need to hold the power button on the pc, force it to turn off

put the hard drive back in the broken pc

I don't have another desktop so I don't think I can do that. Also the windows boot USB is no longer booting into the install part. It will begin to boot and I will get the spinning dots of windows loading, but then the screen will just go black instead of the installation part. The weird part is this was working just fine before and I did nothing to the USB drive. I then redid the boot drive in case something got messed up and it's the same problem. The only thing I did in between it working and not working was I ran another gparted to reformat the SSD.

7 minutes ago, bobhays said:

I don't have another desktop so I don't think I can do that. Also the windows boot USB is no longer booting into the install part. It will begin to boot and I will get the spinning dots of windows loading, but then the screen will just go black instead of the installation part. The weird part is this was working just fine before and I did nothing to the USB drive. I then redid the boot drive in case something got messed up and it's the same problem. The only thing I did in between it working and not working was I ran another gparted to reformat the SSD.

wait so how did you remake the windows installer?

and is the pc your trying to fix a laptop?

10 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

wait so how did you remake the windows installer?

and is the pc your trying to fix a laptop?

When I originally made it I just used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsofts site. Since that one didn't seem to work properly when I remade it I used a clean .ISO from a torrent and Universal-USB-Installer from pendrivelinux.com

Oh and I'm trying to fix my desktop and I'm using my laptop to create the boot drives and stuff.

1 hour ago, bobhays said:

When I originally made it I just used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsofts site. Since that one didn't seem to work properly when I remade it I used a clean .ISO from a torrent and Universal-USB-Installer from pendrivelinux.com

Oh and I'm trying to fix my desktop and I'm using my laptop to create the boot drives and stuff.

Don't format.  Instead, boot from the Windows installer, go into advanced mode, and delete all partitions.  Then choose to install on unallocated space.  Windows will create all the necessary partitions for you.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Don't format.  Instead, boot from the Windows installer, go into advanced mode, and delete all partitions.  Then choose to install on unallocated space.  Windows will create all the necessary partitions for you.

I've been trying that and it hasn't worked until now. I'm still not sure what the issue was. I changed the partition table from MSDOS to GPT and then redid the USB so now it got to the drive part. This time when I clicked new on the empty drive it created 1. Recovery Partition, 2. System Partition, 3. Left most of it unallocated. Then on the unallocated partition I again clicked new, then it made 3. MSR, and 4. Main OS partition. It finally began installing the OS but then I got an error 0x8007045D

It might be the ISO you got.  When using the MCT, you should save as an ISO and then burn it to a flash drive with Rufus.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

It might be the ISO you got.  When using the MCT, you should save as an ISO and then burn it to a flash drive with Rufus.

I made one with the MCT. I made one from using Universal USB Installer from ISO, and another from just copying the ISO contents directly to the flash drive, I dont think that's the issue.

I remember this happened one time before because of a loose sata cable where it would read data fine but wouldn't work for installing the OS. I just reconnected the SATA cables and the installation is running right now. I'll update this thread with whatever happens next.

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If it doesn't, use Rufus with the official ISO.

It did work, I can't believe all of this was because the cable might've been a little loose and didn't show up in anything other than the OS installation. 

6 hours ago, bobhays said:

Bad iso`s can cause every sort of damn issue, and worse when you google it and the error blames something else. I always keep "known to work" ISO`s on my hard drive and always use rufus portable that is kept with my ISO files

42 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Bad iso`s can cause every sort of damn issue, and worse when you google it and the error blames something else. I always keep "known to work" ISO`s on my hard drive and always use rufus portable that is kept with my ISO files

The iso wasn't the problem though, the sata cable was loose. And yea I got a few error codes 2 said that I had to format the drive and 2 I couldn't find any reference to.