Any downsides to Ryzen?

20 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Besides the possibility that the specs / benchmarks or prices are far off? 

For gaming and everyday use. 

Was eyeing 7700k (with ROG Maximus IX Hero), now looking at 1700X (with ROG Crosshair VI Hero). 

Either for 1080 GTX. SLI considered in the future. 

Let me look into my crystal ball.... I DON'T FUCKING KNOW. IT'S NOT OUT YET.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

4 minutes ago, Gene Starwind said:

I pay $100 per month for 25 Mbps, and I only have 500gb of data.

I usually end up going over, which cost $10 per 50gb.   The bill was $150 last month...  

Fucking scam monopolies!

Where do you live???

2 minutes ago, Cyborgsmith said:

Where do you live???

Southwest Virginia USA

500gb of data is NOTHING split between 3 people 

1 minute ago, Gene Starwind said:

Southwest Virginia USA

Ive heard the infrastructure/monopoly situation is terrible, throughout the US. 

23 minutes ago, Gene Starwind said:

I am jealous of people without data caps... How do you do it!? 

Because maybe they don't live in the same part of the world you live in.

I know, amazing and mind bending but it's true.

1 hour ago, Cyborgsmith said:

Yah, it sucks...  There are 2 options here, the Shentell package I have, and Verizon.  Verizon only offers 3Mbps, and by 3Mbps I mean 1-1.5Mbps...  You pay for 3 Mbps, and then they cap you down to 1.5 Mbps.

1 hour ago, killcomic said:

Because maybe they don't live in the same part of the world you live in.

I know, amazing and mind bending, but it's true.

I was clearly being fictitious...

1 hour ago, Qwweb said:

You do know that the only CPUs that support >128GB of RAM are Xeons and Opterons right?...

I know that's how it is <u>now</u>. (Mobile in portrait hides a lot of formatting buttons.)  But hopefully a near-future mainstream/HEDT platform would support more.

I'm thinking ...

• Some server platforms now support like 24 TB of RAM, like the SuperMicro 7088B-TR4FT.
  • Back in Socket 604 days, it appears it was up to 32GB or so, according to this.
  • Pentium 4 desktop, around the same time IIRC, peaked at about 4GB.
  • That's a 768x boost on servers, but only a 32x boost on desktops.

I'd like to see desktops catch back up to how far they were behind, if not better.  At minimum, I'd like to see the next gen at Intel go to at least 128 or 256GB on LGA11xx, and 512GB or 1TB on LGA20xx Xxxx.  That's BEFORE going to DDR5.

From the DDR4 Wiki:

The DDR4 standard theoretically allows for DIMMs of up to 512 GiB in capacity, compared to DDR3's theoretical maximum of 128 GiB per DIMM.

4 DIMMS would be 2TB, 8 DIMMS would be 4TB.  Let's say non-ECC can't go that high.  Could non-Xeons still go to 32 or 64GB per DIMM, or 128 to 512GB per board? (And hopefully it'd push the prices of lower capacities down.)

At any rate, I don't want to be running out of RAM on my next system, until the fastest CPU I could buy (which is released about the time the PSU's 10-year warranty expires, but I'd buy 5 years later so it drops from $4K to $100 or what old Xeons do) is about as useful as a Netburst or 1st-gen Core 2 Duo is today.

23 minutes ago, Gene Starwind said:

Yah, it sucks...  There are 2 options here, the Shentell package I have, and Verizon.  Verizon only offers 3Mbps, and by 3Mbps, I mean 1-1.5Mbps...  You pay for 3 Mbps, and then they cap you down to 1.5 Mbps.

I was clearly being fictitious...

Were you now?

5 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

At any rate, I don't want to be running out of RAM on my next system

Obscene amounts of RAM cost obscene amounts of money, that will never change. With programs becoming more and more optimized and effecient, at some point we will see a decrease in the amount of RAM needed, not the inverse. The higher capacity DIMM dies cost significantly more and for most purposes are not practical whatsoever. For instance; right now, a 1x64GB module of RAM costs ~$750. This is not because of the manufacturing process, but because there is little demand for such capacities. Even Linus, in several of his videos, admits that 128GB of RAM is over the top for even prosumers.

42 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Obscene amounts of RAM cost obscene amounts of money, that will never change. With programs becoming more and more optimized and effecient, at some point we will see a decrease in the amount of RAM needed, not the inverse. The higher capacity DIMM dies cost significantly more and for most purposes are not practical whatsoever. For instance; right now, a 1x64GB module of RAM costs ~$750. This is not because of the manufacturing process, but because there is little demand for such capacities. Even Linus, in several of his videos, admits that 128GB of RAM is over the top for even prosumers.

YES!!!  I was also thinking I'd like to see programs be more efficient, so we can catch up to the effective gains of the 1980s and early 1990s. :)  At the same time, I dont want people who want their legacy apps (like single-threaded, devs no longer updating) to run faster, to be left out in the cold. :(

Also, I want to see SSDs (and whatever takes the place of HDDs like the WD80EFRX or ST8000AS0002 in relative $/TB & TB/drive) surpass the then-equivalent of the fastest Corsair Dominator Platinum quad-channel RAM.   If the performance equivalent of NVMe SSDs could catch up to then's Titan XP VRAM or Xeon E7 level 1 CPU cache, that'd be awesome.

If we had RAM/Cache-speed SSDs with excellent reliability & endurance, at spinning-HDD prices & capacities, it would help <i>immensely</i>!

1 hour ago, Cyborgsmith said:

I pay $70 for full gigabit fiber with no data cap in a small desert town, USA. It could be cheaper but I can't complain.

3 minutes ago, dexT said:

I pay $70 for full gigabit fiber with no data cap in a small desert town, USA. It could be cheaper but I can't complain.

There is gigabit internet close to where I live.  About 30 miles or so.

How the hell did this topic go from discussing RyZen and its benefits / cons into fucking e-peen discussions about internet speeds?

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

Just now, Gene Starwind said:

There is gigabit internet close to where I live.  About 30 miles or so.

I'd look into moving. 

Just now, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

How the hell did this topic go from discussing RyZen and its benefits / cons into fucking e-peen discussions about internet speeds?

Calm down.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

Calm down.

I'm really furious! What part of my post does it imply that I'm mad? You can detect tone of voice over text?

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

6 minutes ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

More like micropeens.  

The discussion about ryzen is over.  If it performs as expected, ~+-5% broadwell-e, and is priced as expected, then it will dominate the desktop scene, until Intel releases more cores or lower prices.  And intel isn't going to lower prices, so 2107 belongs to AMD. 

Just now, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

I'm really furious! What part of my post does it imply that I'm mad? You can detect tone of voice over text?

Cool story.

The only downside is that it isn't out already. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Yes it might suck, not hating i have a 8350 but they could fuck it up never know with amd.

8 hours ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

Probably the part where you use expletives as adjectives in your initial introductory question. You might have intended one tone, but the way you wrote it lends itself to be interpreted by everyone reading it in a different tone.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Probably the part where you use expletives as adjectives in your initial introductory question. You might have intended one tone, but the way you wrote it lends itself to be interpreted by everyone reading it in a different tone.

That sounds like a personal problem.

1 minute ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

That sounds like a personal problem.

Just trying to help

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

We don't know anything yet, those leaks could be fake.  Ryzen could either be a game changer or become the next Fury X  - aka "Overclockers dream".