[UPDATE] Corsair 750D and 60mm radiators

well since i took the plunge into the Corsair 750D, i have had some reservations on maximum limits of what the case can actually hold from all the different review sites information. the above picture is a ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, XSPC RX360, and Corsair SP120 fans shoe-horned into a Corsair 750D. the actual fitment is probably a deal-breaker for most water cooling enthusiasts. slim-to no space for a standard 60mm thick radiator in the roof of a Corsair 750D. the 8-pin on this and other motherboards is very questionable with a standard 60mm radiator installed. to mount this, you actually have to allow the fan to press against the 8-pin/motherboard with some pressure. some of the builders will not think of this as acceptable and possibly get discouraged on what hardware they might already own or have just purchased.  i believe this can be easily remedied like the Fractal Design roof layout, to offset the 120 mounts more towards the left side panel (or just inline with the 140 mounting holes) if Corsair deems a revision to the roof mounting strategies.

the radiator mount in the front is a different story. Corsair has used raised mounting pads to locate the fans (120/140 x2). to mount the radiator (240/280) these pads (not used on radiator installation) interfere with the fan mounting of the radiator and the use of standard 30mm fan screws. its a tiny inconvenience, as most radiator manufacturers supply 30mm long fan screws (to prevent radiator punctures). this application will require 33mm screws (?) for fan/radiator installation on the front panel. meaning user will probably have to cut down 35mm screws to a shorter length.

floor mounting of a 240 radiator is almost flawless. my edition will only allow four (half) fan screws to secure the radiator to the case (rear HDD mount). i saw on another forum, there are adapter brackets (for the asking) to use all eight screws or use a template, mark new hole locations and drill new mounting holes. just a word of warning, my XSPC RX240 was a very, very tight fitting to the forward bulkhead. so it might be possible the brackets will help this issue. the XSPC has a shallow short end tank as some other radiator manufacturers have a taller tank, so this might be a hard lesson to get into up on assembly. but use of the brackets will raise the assembly from a level floor seal, to an elevated position to allow case air into the radiator, instead of direct exterior air. Corsair has definitely known the radiator in the floor was probably going to be an option as the front fans have an elevated position as not to mount just in front of the radiator. not going to blast Corsair for not having a filter at the floor location, as they are already getting a lot of grief over it already.

so far it is a good case. i'm still bolting/unbolting hardware configurations to best suit the case. once i have a "bead" on what can/cannot be used on the Corsair 750D, i'll hopefully have a member review or just poke the information into the proper section.

these are minor roadblocks that can be easily overcome by experienced builders and case modders. but for the first-time users and inexperienced could be kind of hellish and cause some complications in a build. i am hoping @Corsair George can lend some insight on these critiques'.

That's a close fit

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Thanks for the great info! 750D rad info has been hard to come by. Do you think the XT45 from Alphacool is a better option for the top?

better? for fitment, yes it is an alternative. the Alphacool XT45 or the EK XT at 47mm. but if you can get by with the slight pressure of the fan on the connector, then 60mm is all good.

you should liquid cool that chipset/mosfet.

i've got a XSPC kit. will have to see how the run looks to use it. using SLI 780 and

either the XSPC 780 Razor or HeatKiller Ni-BL blocks.

x79-2.jpg

the entrance of the chipset block is too far right for either block, but the koolance

is discontinued. just might have to go the XSPC route.

i've got a XSPC kit. will have to see how the run looks to use it. using SLI 780 and

x79-2.jpg

the entrance of the chipset block is too far right for either block, but the koolance

Crap, so you're saying that 60mm is the max I can put with a radiator + fan? I was hoping to slap a BlackIce GTX 360mm GEN II 54mm radiator + GT-AP 45's on there.

Crap, so you're saying that 60mm is the max I can put with a radiator + fan? I was hoping to slap a BlackIce GTX 360mm GEN II 54mm radiator + GT-AP 45's on there.

no radiator 60 and fan 25 = 85mm total no more..

so your BIX 360 is fine..

x79-2.jpg

nice

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

no radiator 60 and fan 25 = 85mm total no more..

so your BIX 360 is fine..

Thank F***ing god :) I might go with alphacool NexXxos UT60 then >_< eh. lol Gonna ramp those GT-AP 45's to the max cuz im insane and love seeing my components stay cool ^^

Components staying cool>Noise

Hope to find out what kind of fittings you going to use for the radiator to get it through that little hole o_0. I've been contemplating on how to get that through but anyways funny thing AIRDEANO, I have tried been trying to measure out how much radiator space and fan together i can get out of the 750D and finally come with the conclusion 63mm for radiator from you. What a beast. Alittle more than I'll ever need but I'm extremely happy to find out everything works out fine.

Hope to find out what kind of fittings you going to use for the radiator to get it through that little hole o_0. I've been contemplating on how to get that through but anyways funny thing AIRDEANO, I have tried been trying to measure out how much radiator space and fan together i can get out of the 750D and finally come with the conclusion 63mm for radiator from you. What a beast. Alittle more than I'll ever need but I'm extremely happy to find out everything works out fine. 

yeah the RX360 plus a fan set is 86mm total.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at the EK XTX which is 64, that with fan is a no-go.

So I thought, anyone considered mounting the rad up against the roof and then put the fans on top of the case (Possibly ina  fan shroud for looks). That should free up room enough for even extra fat fans to work with the case. Thoughts?

I'm looking at the EK XTX which is 64, that with fan is a no-go.

So I thought, anyone considered mounting the rad up against the roof and then put the fans on top of the case (Possibly ina  fan shroud for looks). That should free up room enough for even extra fat fans to work with the case. Thoughts?

do what ya gotta do, but that's old 800D modding to put a speed bump on the roof.

it'd be easier to sell the XTX and get a UT60, SR1, or possibly RX360.

You could have always "adapted" the rings on those fans if it came to that. You would maybe get an extra mm.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

just a question.. Can i fit a 64mm rad in the case like the  EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (360)?

only way to do that would be to mount the fans outside the case on the roof.

you just don't have that kinda room between the roof and the upper edge of

motherboard (8-pin, MOSFET 'sinks, RAM 'sinks). but conventionally, no.

its suffering with a 60mm, the extra 4mm will deffo be a deal-breaker.

Out of curiosity, how long is that power supply? looks rather short with a 240 shoved in the bottom there

Out of curiosity, how long is that power supply? looks rather short with a 240 shoved in the bottom there

Its 160mm

• 1 year later...

Hello, i have a Corsair Obsidian 750D and Asus Rampage V Extreme Mainboard. I want to buy Koolance Hx-360xc radiator (54mm) and 3x Corsair SP120 fan (push) for roof of a 750D. Will I have problems in the 8pin socket?

Hello, i have a Corsair Obsidian 750D and Asus Rampage V Extreme Mainboard. I want to buy Koolance Hx-360xc radiator (54mm) and 3x Corsair SP120 fan (push) for roof of a 750D. Will I have problems in the 8pin socket?

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

you'll be fine with that thickness of radiator. the extra 6mm of the XSPC is the issue.

good luck!