Memory clearance with the R1 ultimate CPU Cooler

Skiiwee29

So I am going to be buying the R1 Ultimate for coolling my i7 6700k as the H7 is not quite up to par with my OC when in games like Battlefield 1 etc that is CPU bound and is pushing my CPU temps up to low 80's. I will need to switch RAM kits as my current Trident Z's will be way to big to use with the R1 Ultimate, and yes I am using the Ultimate, not the universal. 

So I need a 2x8 kit no larger than 31MM in height. Help me find the right kit. Current colors are Black/red in my case. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Corsair LPX comes in red

lpx.jpg

Wow. Switching out a cooler + ram? 

Why not an aio? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Wow. Switching out a cooler + ram? 

Why not an aio? 

I dont want an AIO. I have a full EK loop in my other room that I just need to get a water block for but I want to do air cooling as its much quieter  than an AIO and performs as good if not better than 95% of them.... 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

39 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I dont want an AIO. I have a full EK loop in my other room that I just need to get a water block for but I want to do air cooling as its much quieter  than an AIO and performs as good if not better than 95% of them.... 

Yea it doesn't really seem worth it to downgrade from a trident kit. 

Have you considered other cooolers? Like the noctua nhd 15

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

31 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Yea it doesn't really seem worth it to downgrade from a trident kit. 

Have you considered other cooolers? Like the noctua nhd 15

How would it be a "downgrade"? There is no real tangible difference in gaming performance from kit to kit. I don't do anything that would require ultra top of the line RAM. I only got this kit because I love the looks. Besides, this kit is faulty and I just don't want to send it back either. with XMP enabled, I get crashes and blue screens left and right and tons of errors on Memtest. With XMP off, no problems, no errors, and no crashes. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

21 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

How would it be a "downgrade"? There is no real tangible difference in gaming performance from kit to kit. I don't do anything that would require ultra top of the line RAM. I only got this kit because I love the looks. Besides, this kit is faulty and I just don't want to send it back either. with XMP enabled, I get crashes and blue screens left and right and tons of errors on Memtest. With XMP off, no problems, no errors, and no crashes. 

Helps in minimum fps and in scenarios where one is CPU bottlenecked. Still its a downgrade. But if it really doesn't matter to you then there's no problem.

Of course it won't behave like that in all games.

Xmp profiles are constantly being worked on my by mobo makers. So a bios update might fix it.

Either way, I do suggest picking another cooler since the Ultimate R1 is a really tight fit on consumer mobos. 

DSCN1231.jpg

R1_31.jpg

But if the R1 Ultimate is a must, then I'd suggest a hyper X fury. It looks like they would fit. 

Any standard or close to standard height ram would do like an Aegis kit: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/xxs8TW/gskill-memory-f42400c15d16gis

That being said, low 80's is fine if your temps don't get much higher. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Any standard or close to standard height ram would do like an Aegis kit: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/xxs8TW/gskill-memory-f42400c15d16gis

That being said, low 80's is fine if your temps don't get much higher. 

Fine yes, but I like that extra degree of comfort knowing I have the best possible overclock I can and the best cooling ability that I can. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

@Pohernori your video only shows the different between ram speeds, not ram kits. if I were to replace mine, which is currently running at stock default 2133 with a kit of Vengeance LPX at 3200Mhz, your video would show it to be an increase... not a decrease... 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig