Beginning programming

So I have been wanting to get into programming for awhile now, yet been so busy haven't gotten the chance to really learn much unfortunately. I am doing some college classes for it next semester (C++) but id like to know a bit before going in.  Therefore, I'm coming here for some recommendations on a bookor two, to try and understand the actual structures and command in the code. I can look at peoples code all day long hell I can even write a bit if I have a decent guide. However unless I know what I'm looking at I won't learn anything... Im sure you all understand. So if you have any recommendations on a good book or possible class that actually lays a foundation rather than just "monkey see - monkey do" type thing i would love to check it out. Preferably C++ or Python from what i gather those are the 2 that would lay a good foundation.  My PC has a linux distro installed so python should be good to learn first ? or just get C++ out of the way?

I would recommend a few books, but they're kind of pricey. For instance I would recommend starting with C just so the nuances of syntax (it gets annoying for me to switch between Python and C because you forget little things that make your code break), but The C Programming Language book (which is basically the C manual) is like $60 new. I would recommend another book by Deitel, but I saw the latest version of that went for $150 on Amazon.

I would say if you have a Barnes and Noble nearby, go check out what they have.

youtube, then google anything you're stuck on. oh and c++ all the way

library - i would go borrow some learn insert language here books in just one hour a day by sams - they are pretty nice - i use some of their reference books at work

31 minutes ago, Stellammattum said:

So I have been wanting to get into programming for awhile now, yet been so busy haven't gotten the chance to really learn much unfortunately. I am doing some college classes for it next semester (C++) but id like to know a bit before going in.  Therefore, I'm coming here for some recommendations on a bookor two, to try and understand the actual structures and command in the code. I can look at peoples code all day long hell I can even write a bit if I have a decent guide. However unless I know what I'm looking at I won't learn anything... Im sure you all understand. So if you have any recommendations on a good book or possible class that actually lays a foundation rather than just "monkey see - monkey do" type thing i would love to check it out. Preferably C++ or Python from what i gather those are the 2 that would lay a good foundation.  My PC has a linux distro installed so python should be good to learn first ? or just get C++ out of the way?

I started with Python because that's how my degree is organized. One of my professors dislikes Python because it's a language that really does not want you to fail and will do anything to hide issues. It is a good starting point if you have absolutely no background in programming, just to get to know the basics of Arrays, and etc. C and C++ would be my choice. Once you get a hold on those, advancing to something like Java isn't hard at all.

I recommend DrBFraser on YouTube (totally not because he's one of my professors). He does mostly stuff on Java and Android programming but does have some C and C++ stuff here and there.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I am studying software engineering 3rd year, and in my school they dont expect you to know anything, they teach you fomr the scratch (hahaha :D [its funny because scratch is a programming languaje to teach kid the programming basics]) indeed, you should try this one, scratchm and then if you are feeling confident, you can try, with C, as they suggested, because learning programming on your own is something not that good, you get some bad habits... Dont you worry, theyll teach you soon enough, but in the meantime take a look to scratch and maybe some C. Good luck!

Start with C++ (or Perl which is probably already installed on your system) as it'll teach you many basics of how a computer actually handles your code. You can still get spoiled with Python later (but you shouldn't). Python requires you to write horribly verbose code and supports not even half of the C++ features. 

By the way: While I like C, C and C++ have diverged quite a bit over the past few decades. C is still almost a subset of C++, so learning C++ will give you a basic understanding of C too, just less frustrating. 

Write in C.

16 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I started with Python because that's how my degree is organized. One of my professors dislikes Python because it's a language that really does not want you to fail and will do anything to hide issues. It is a good starting point if you have absolutely no background in programming, just to get to know the basics of Arrays, and etc. C and C++ would be my choice. Once you get a hold on those, advancing to something like Java isn't hard at all.

I recommend DrBFraser on YouTube (totally not because he's one of my professors). He does mostly stuff on Java and Android programming but does have some C and C++ stuff here and there.

Thanks I will give him a look. Im actually taking a computer security course right now. I hate learning all of these attacks and not being able to understand the process that went into making them. Learning the theory is one thing, knowing how its actually done is another Imho. But I really do enjoy security and like learning the intricacies of it. Apparently according to my teacher I'm pretty good at working out physical security attacks and social engineering attacks. I guess thats all that really counts :P knew those lock picking skills would come in handy one day!!

23 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

I am studying software engineering 3rd year, and in my school they dont expect you to know anything, they teach you fomr the scratch (hahaha :D [its funny because scratch is a programming languaje to teach kid the programming basics]) indeed, you should try this one, scratchm and then if you are feeling confident, you can try, with C, as they suggested, because learning programming on your own is something not that good, you get some bad habits... Dont you worry, theyll teach you soon enough, but in the meantime take a look to scratch and maybe some C. Good luck!

That is why I wanted a book not necessarily to just learn how to do it before I start. Its more like just to know the terminology and structure of the code, and of course do a little playing around :) Try my hand at it shall we say.

8 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Start with C++ (or Perl which is probably already installed on your system) as it'll teach you many basics of how a computer actually handles your code. You can still get spoiled with Python later (but you shouldn't). Python requires you to write horribly verbose code and supports not even half of the C++ features. 

By the way: While I like C, C and C++ have diverged quite a bit over the past few decades. C is still almost a subset of C++, so learning C++ will give you a basic understanding of C too, just less frustrating. 

I think C++ is where ill start then i don't need to be spoiled then ill be lazy and take shortcuts. Trust me, I don't need shortcuts I would definitely take the easy way haha.

57 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I would recommend a few books, but they're kind of pricey. For instance I would recommend starting with C just so the nuances of syntax (it gets annoying for me to switch between Python and C because you forget little things that make your code break), but The C Programming Language book (which is basically the C manual) is like $60 new. I would recommend another book by Deitel, but I saw the latest version of that went for $150 on Amazon.

I would say if you have a Barnes and Noble nearby, go check out what they have.

The closet Barnes and Noble is couple hours away. But got a pretty big books a million but there coding books selection is slim and the few I've seen didn't get great reviews on amazon etc.

1 minute ago, Dat Guy said:

There is always Wikibooks. 

I think i found a good one Im gonna check out ( Programming Principles and Practice C++ - Bjarne Stroustrup )

16 minutes ago, Stellammattum said:

That is why I wanted a book not necessarily to just learn how to do it before I start. Its more like just to know the terminology and structure of the code, and of course do a little playing around :) Try my hand at it shall we say.

So then you should really try scratch, It will teach you some programming basics like loops, conditions and other stuff, and by the way, dont ever buy a book. Everything you need in on the internet, trustme, I have never bought one, and ill never will (about programming). Buying books its something that my teachers had to do because they hadnt all the online resouces that we have nowadays.

6 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

So then you should really try scratch, It will teach you some programming basics like loops, conditions and other stuff, and by the way, dont ever buy a book. Everything you need in on the internet, trustme, I have never bought one, and ill never will (about programming). Buying books its something that my teachers had to do because they hadnt all the online resouces that we have nowadays.

Thats not always true your right according to programming probably. The books will go out of date eventually. Yet  there are somethings that need actual books as the internet provides to much conflicting information for Ex. Nursing. So I don't see books going away any time soon in college personally other than a ebook. Edit. Im gonna go look that Scratch up I have never heard of it before. 

5 minutes ago, Stellammattum said:

Thats not always true your right according to programming probably. The books will go out of date eventually. Yet  there are somethings that need actual books as the internet provides to much conflicting information for Ex. Nursing. So I don't see books going away any time soon in college personally other than a ebook. Edit. Im gonna go look that Scratch up I have never heard of it before. 

Yes, of course I was talking only about programming. It evolves so fast that doesnt make sense to buy a book because in 1-2 months they are gonna publish a new version and you book will be oudated (well, the basics will always be the basics, but you also have the basics on any page on the internet).

2 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

Yes, of course I was talking only about programming. It evolves so fast that doesnt make sense to buy a book because in 1-2 months they are gonna publish a new version and you book will be oudated (well, the basics will always be the basics, but you also have the basics on any page on the internet).

My apologies I wasn't sure if you meant just buy a programming book or any school book  even though you ( ) it.

1 minute ago, Stellammattum said:

My apologies I wasn't sure if you meant just buy a programming book or any school book  even though you ( ) it.

Hahaha, no worries! :D good luck with the programming!