Simple Poll: Skylake build or a less robust Kaby Lake build due to cost?

Simple Poll: Skylake build or a less robust Kaby Lake build due to cost?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Skylake build or a less robust Kaby Lake build due to cost? Both have the same budget.

• Skylake Build filled out with more
    • Kaby Lake Build with less due to higher cost

Discuss why. Ask me anything.

Get a headstart on your next build with Logical Increments! 

Logical Increments solves the biggest problem of building a PC: Knowing which parts to pick and making sure everything is 100% compatible. They curate a list of recommended PC builds using the best parts for your budget, all guaranteed to be well-balanced and a great value for the money.

If you have to get a system right now, then go with Skylake. It's cheaper and is just a hair slower than Kaby Lake. Although, I highly recommend waiting for AMD Ryzen.

6 minutes ago, theCynicalMonk said:

Discuss why. Ask me anything.

what country are you in when i did my kaby lake the cpu was 15 dollars cheaper and the motherboard was 30 dollars cheaper then if i went skylake

How much more money is kabylake than skylake? part for part

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

The Skylake and Kaby Lake prices are fairly close on the processors (at least on the X700k SKUs) so it is really close, but if you need to go all out and this is determining between a k SKU or Non-k SKU, I would go with Skylake.  Just not enough gains to justify Kaby Lake over skylake.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Unless you really want that 4k Netflix there isn't much of a difference between skylake and kabylake

ah ha that's where you are wrong skylake is 15% faster than kaby lake, right? it's that way round isn't it (I forget) :P

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

The Skylake and Kaby Lake prices are fairly close on the processors (at least on the X700k SKUs) so it is really close, but if you need to go all out and this is determining between a k SKU or Non-k SKU, I would go with Skylake.  Just not enough gains to justify Kaby Lake over skylake.

That's what I'm getting at! It's not worth it IMO. And I'm in the US, Alaradia.

Logical Increments solves the biggest problem of building a PC: Knowing which parts to pick and making sure everything is 100% compatible. They curate a list of recommended PC builds using the best parts for your budget, all guaranteed to be well-balanced and a great value for the money.

2 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

ah ha that's where you are wrong skylake is 15% faster than kaby lake, right? it's that way round isn't it (I forget) :P

Do you have a source to back that up? I'd like to see it. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come across brashly

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Unless you really want that 4k Netflix there isn't much of a difference between skylake and kabylake

But can't a GTX 10xx series GPU do the same?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, theCynicalMonk said:

Do you have a source to back that up? I'd like to see it. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come across brashly

I was joking, kaby lake is a little faster than sky, but not by much

And more, several more

Buying 7th generation won't benefit you that much more. And CPU IHS is poorly put together, so the temperatures are much higher. (cue in all of the delid kits that are comming out as crazy). Go for 6th generation. 

A friendly advice. I'm rocking a 6700k and It purrrs liek a Kitty :D 

11 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Buying 7th generation won't benefit you that much more. And CPU IHS is poorly put together, so the temperatures are much higher. (cue in all of the delid kits that are comming out as crazy). Go for 6th generation. 

A friendly advice. I'm rocking a 6700k and It purrrs liek a Kitty :D 

Thanks for that, I think you've made my mind up :)

23 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

But can't a GTX 10xx series GPU do the same?

Technically, it can do 4K and HDCP 2.2 over HDMI 2.0b easily. But currently, only Kaby iGPUs are supported. I believe Netflix is holding out 4K unless one has a panel and iGPU capable of 10 bit color (across multiple API) and at least one HDR standard. The GTX10 series so far, only seems capable of pulling 10 bit color off when using DirectX.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

29 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

Well, on that note, then OP might as well just go with Haswell, since it still outperforms both Skylake and Kaby Lake chips in real-world software performance. (the only actual benchmark that matters.) If you've got software optimized for the higher performing single-core thread then great - go with Kaby Lake, but otherwise I don't understand why anyone would go with Intel's latest desktop offerings for performance alone.

However, if OP wants 4K Netflix (at least until someone cracks it), Thunderbolt 3, DDR4 support, etc. then it makes sense to go with Kaby Lake.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Well, on that note, then OP might as well just go with Haswell, since it still outperforms both Skylake and Kaby Lake chips in real-world software performance. (the only actual benchmark that matters.) If you've got software optimized for the higher performing single-core thread then great - go with Kaby Lake, but otherwise I don't understand why anyone would go with Intel's latest desktop offerings for performance alone.

However, if OP wants 4K Netflix (at least until someone cracks it), Thunderbolt 3, DDR4 support, etc. then it makes sense to go with Kaby Lake.

DDR4 is possible with skylake as well as thunderbolt, and I give 4K another 3-4 months max I would say, there is no real benefit to kaby, as if you go a overclock able sku for sky you can get the same overclocks and clock speeds as kaby lake, when overclocked it's self (roughly, silicon lottery and all)

And more, several more

in the uk the i5-7600k is cheaper then the 6600k atm so thats clear which to get but honestly theres like 5-10% gain on kabylake which is basicly the clock difference between then get a good cooler and just oc sky lake and u basicly have kaby lake performance  

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Performance aside, if pricing is about the same, I would suggest anyone building a new system today to look at Kaby Lake. Not that you can future proof but for anyone looking to keep their system for any extended period of time, getting parts that play nice may be an issue. Users with DDR2 was hurting once DDR3 become the norm. I don't think DD3 will go away anytime soon but technology over the last 10 years has changed alot. On a similar note, go for Win 10 if you do not have any legacy hardware or software that absolutely require Win 7. In 1-2 years, you will regret running Win 7 when newer hardware comes out and you need to install these.

ok, who is going to fight me? lol