What is the best GTX 1080 for overclocking?

nEAt

I'm building a new system and wanted to know what GTX 1080 edition is the best overclocker? Which of them flaunts the best cooling solution, base power consumption, etc.

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but a forum search raised no answers, neither did a quick Google search.

anything with three fans or a water cooler and probably one that is factory oc if possible then you should be able to get even higher

• EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
  • Galax (or KFA2) GTX 1080 HOF
  • Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
  • MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
  • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 (iCX)
  • Gigabyte GTX 1060 Xtreme Gaming

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

There is none, each individual card has a different chance at overclocking. Called the silicon lottery. Buy 100 of the exact same model and you'd get a wide range of overclocking.

For best temps go with a Hybrid.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid

I second this. I have this card and LOVE IT.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

There is none, each individual card has a different chance at overclocking. Called the silicon lottery. Buy 100 of the exact same model and you'd get a wide range of overclocking.

Oh yeah and this.

Most cards with a decent amount of cooling will achieve the same overclocks, due to having no voltage control and no bios flashing on the Pascal cards...

My GTX 1080 G1 Gaming under water gets about the same as most "super overclocking cards" because of the cooling on it... I am actually reaching the power limit that the OC utility gives me...

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Jay got one of these and a Founders overclocked better than it.

And it doesn't have RGB!? What is this, 2016?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Word has it the Amp Extreme is quite good this time round. 

Get a waterblock and any card will go fast. - except the HOF, they are slow. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Word has it the Amp Extreme is quite good this time round. 

Get a waterblock and any card will go fast. - except the HOF, they are slow. 

Custom loop is out of my budget :D

anything with a full coverage waterblock available, once temps are fully under control it simply comes down to the lottery on how good of a chip you got. cooling is important to prevent any throttling, so thats why I say water, if you don't want a custom loop, Jay got great temps with like no throttling (from what I remember) off of one of the hybrids, which got even better when he did a push/pull with the EK Vadar fans

2 minutes ago, nEAt said:

Custom loop is out of my budget :D

That's unfortunate. You'll have to stick with a hybrid card then. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The Nvidia Founders Edition cards overclock the furthest. Nvidia binned the chips and used the best ones on their founders cards. Most of the FE cards overclock past >2100 .. Most of the board partners cards (EVGA MSI Zotac) rarely reach <2100.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

36 minutes ago, PCMasterDebater said:

The Nvidia Founders Edition cards overclock the furthest. Nvidia binned the chips and used the best ones on their founders cards. Most of the FE cards overclock past >2100 .. Most of the board partners cards (EVGA MSI Zotac) rarely reach <2100.

Generally, this. Most Tech Youtubers have found that Founder's cards usually overclock the best.

Best air cooled in terms of raw overclock, Zotac's AMP Extreme, EVGA's FTW/Classified (Probably the FTW2 by default), and the Asus ROG Strix O8G version.

I'd throw in the MSI Gaming X/Z for best overclock because of their extra pins for power draw and arguably the best cooling technology. (Twin Frozr is just so good at pushing off the heat, I think only Zotac can really come close.)

@Linus Theft Tips Actually I have seen several benchmarkings showing the FTW2 is actually literally identical to the FTW1 although usually 3 to 5 degrees Celsius hotter.

I would buy the FE because like stated that is the flagship of the card, the reference, nVidia builds them premium for best results etc, a safe bet if you don't mind extra fan loudness.

Spoiler

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

@Linus Theft Tips Actually I have seen several benchmarkings showing the FTW2 is actually literally identical to the FTW1 although usually 3 to 5 degrees Celsius hotter.

I would buy the FE because like stated that is the flagship of the card, the reference, nVidia builds them premium for best results etc, a safe bet if you don't mind extra fan loudness.

Hide contents

The changes in the FTW2 don't impact the GPU, since that wasn't the problem. EVGA used different chokes and added asynchronous fan control so while one fan cools the GPU the other fans the power delivery. This means the power delivery can be significantly cooler while keeping the GPU fan speed lower therefore lowering the noise coming from the card. 

Also completely different backplate and other changes. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.