$25 Backlit Keyboard Round Up

Linus, a "narrow" enter is only a negative in North America, the rest of the world uses ISO and we like our "big, two rolls" enter. That Zhishan keyboard has the perfect layout - two rolls enter without extra keys. 

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

Complaining about the "narrow enter key" is a bad complain, as it is the standard in most of the countries.

But the Zhishan doesn't have the proper ISO layout, but is a mix between 87 key (ANSI) and ISO enter key. It is the Asian layout, with long shift on both side.

36 minutes ago, Progressor said:

Linus, a "narrow" enter is only a negative in North America, the rest of the world uses ISO and we like our "big, two rolls" enter. That Zhishan keyboard has the perfect layout - two rolls enter without extra keys. 

4 minutes ago, Yesat said:

Complaining about the "narrow enter key" is a bad complain, as it is the standard in most of the countries.

But the Zhishan doesn't have the proper ISO layout, but is a weird mix between 87 key (ANSI) and ISO enter key.

Only if he were blind to his audience. "Most" of the world may use it, but most of his audience is not "most" of the world.

But why buy any of these when you can get backlit mechanical keyboards in the same budget range?

$30 TKL Blues

$29 Full Size Blues

$31 TKL Blacks or Blues

$32 TKL Browns

Heck, most of these backlit ones use doubleshot ABS keycaps too.

$24 TKL Non-Backlit Blues

Backlit mech keyboards fall under $30 quite often. I don't see why buying a membrane at this price point is a good choice.

W.R.T/ mechanical keyboards, for a budget, I'm partial to the Anne Pro, which is a 60% wireless one with customisable backlighting and Gatreon switches (pretty good). ~$60

3 hours ago, Cody_53027 said:

@LinusSebastianI feel like you really really need to see this one. Although $29.99, the Velocifire TKL01 has "BROWN" MECHANICAL SWITCHES and a few different LED effects and sturdy construction. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8YTYX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

seems intersting enough, if there's enough of these they could consider a follow-up with "community recommended alternatives", although i have to say, my first thought with "BROWN MECHANICAL SWITCHES" was something along the lines of "oh, so they type like poop." :D

tmw your keyboard is in the list

If someone only has $25 for a keyboard, I'd tell them to not buy one and just save up. If they need one they can get one from a thrift shop for $5 as they wait to have enough to invest in an actual keyboard.

11 hours ago, Yesat said:

But the Zhishan doesn't have the proper ISO layout, but is a mix between 87 key (ANSI) and ISO enter key. It is the Asian layout, with long shift on both side.

The ISO standard has a lot of variants depending on the country. Where I'm from(Bulgaria), the Zhishan and this type are the proper ones. And they're the best in my opinion - big enter, big shift, big backspace, all symbol keys on the right, no extra keys.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

15 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

The argument here reminds me of when I replaced my laptop's Canadian Bilingual keyboard with a US English keyboard. :P

IMG_0005.jpg

That looks like Tarans mobile editing rig for those macros.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

3 hours ago, ESPImperium said:

That looks like Tarans mobile editing rig for those macros.

It's the soon to be installed US English keyboard just sitting ontop of the laptop for comparison with the currently installed Canadian Bilingual keyboard. :P  I do not have a 190 key laptop. :P

For another $5, you could have added this keyboard to the mix.

7-Colors Illuminated Halo Breathing light USB Wired PC Gaming Keyboard Backlight

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182382857714?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't sell these or know a person who does, so this isn't an advertisement. Just a recommendation. I got one for $30 off ebay and I really like it. I think it would have won compared to all the others on the list.

On 2/11/2017 at 0:10 PM, Undertow_ said:

Does the typing in this video bother anyone else?

Totally. Carpal tunnel for all! fast and weird finger position hunt-peck. As someone touchtyping this message, this hurt.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

On 2/11/2017 at 4:28 PM, Junel said:

Yo @nicklmg, is it me, or has this not been on Floatplane Club?

It was there

Posted on January 21, had some schedule changes that delayed it a bit.

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

No permissionSorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it.

Yea my AZIO L70 isn't the prettiest thing in the world after a year and a half of use. The paint on the keys are flaking off and all of the LEDs are significantly dimmer then the Caps Lock and Win Lock indicators.

16754154_10211650304993702_1676830410_n.jpg16780635_10211650303273659_2037669474_n.jpg16788017_10211650300833598_1773102430_n.jpg16754680_10211650321514115_793485938_n.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

36 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Floatplane dawg!

The notification email showed the text. So, the email service that parses the text doesn't know to hide the floatplane link, I guess.

2 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

The notification email showed the text. So, the email service that parses the text doesn't know to hide the floatplane link, I guess.

Ohhh gotcha. Yeah I guess not!

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

It was there

Posted on January 21, had some schedule changes that delayed it a bit.

Thanks dude, my bad, must have missed one! 

• 9 months later...

Just watched this video, the first mentioned keyboard (which its Amazon page is down, which was even mentioned in the video) looks exactly like the Rii RK100, except with a different logo slapped on it.

I've used that one and it's quite terrible.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/