dizmo

Why not  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you click?

• I take most of my pictures with my smartphone
    • I take most of my pictures with a compact camera
    • I take most of my pictures with a DSLR
    • I don't take pictures

Smartphone cameras just keep getting better and better as they attempt to squash what's left of the pocket camera market.

DPAF, dual camera, 4k, excellent low light, frickin' laser beams super fast shutter speeds, almost instant auto focus; they're quite impressive.

Yeah, you youngins might not appreciate them, but I used to have to go down to Save On to get my pictures developed before I got to even see them.

Sony released some interesting news lately, they've made the world's first 3 layer stacked CMOS image sensor with integrated DRAM for smartphones.

The 21.2MP, 1/2.3", 1.22µm sensor packs 1Gb of DRAM between the pixel layer and circuit layer.

Images and footage is stored on the DRAM chip, then exported to the phone's ISP for processing.

Basically the connection from the camera to the phone is much slower than from the camera to the chip.

Why should you care?

It greatly decreases the amount of time it takes to process a picture, going from 1/30 of a second down to 1/120. I know, just numbers, so here's pictures.

img03.jpg  

This picture is 1/30                                                                                

img04.jpg

This picture is 1/120

The train is moving in the photo, and that's why we're to be impressed. Which I am, or might be if it shows up in enough cameras that already took excellent pictures.

Oh, yeah. There's also the fact that it can capture 1000fps clips in full 1080p.

It words it as being able to "seamlessly combine normal speed movies and super slow motion movies" so I don't think you'll be recording lengthy slow motion sets. It's the first iteration though, so it'll only get better.

There's also adjustable settings that will detect sudden subject movement and record super high speed footage, though how well that works in practice will have to be seen.

I don't have high hopes for that feature.

Naturally, there's a video.

Unfortunately there was no info about how much slow motion footage could be captured at any given time. I don't imagine it's much with the limited storage.

Pretty neat, if not a little gimmicky. I think the fact that photos can be captured with less distortion or hopefully greatly reduced motion blur is a much more interesting improvement.

Plus, since it's only the first iteration it'll only improve as we move forward. A module with 10Gb of DRAM for image processing? Now that'd be awesome.

I imagine we'll see these on phone next year, or perhaps a Pixel 2017. Maybe the Note8, though I doubt it.

Now if only phone manufacturers could realize how easy and awesome a dedicated camera button would be...

What do you guys think? Do you take enough photos with your phone to care about the camera improvements?

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/sonys_new_image_sensor_can_shoot_1080p__1000fps_video_thanks_to_onchip_ram-blog-23250.php

Source: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201702/17-013E/index.html

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

so TL;DR: They've reduced the rolling shutter problem and can do super high fps 1080p video.  Nice :D 

As for killing the pocket camera market, I think that's already happened.  Basically it's a decision between convenience (smartphone) and quality (DSLR) at this point... pocket cameras only give you the worst of both worlds xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

now this

this is cool

the part with the dog jumping is amazing in that video, but the low framerate is strange

idk

That dog's manhood almost collided with the bar.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

59 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The 21.2MP, 1/2.3", 1.22µm sensor packs 1Gb of DRAM between the pixel layer and circuit layer.

So, it only packs 125MB of DRAM between the pixel and circuit?

Capitalization is important, yo. It's the difference between gigabyte (GB) and gigabit (Gb).

1 hour ago, MegaDave91 said:

That dog's manhood almost collided with the bar.

Of course that's the only thing you notice about the video. xD

Now we need 120000fps capable smartphone cameras. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I hope they make the native dynamic range and low light performance not shit. If I could get clean images at iso3200 from a smartphone that would be great.

Very awesome! This would definitely be my interest in future phone. That's a ton of FPS :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Finally, slow motion in a phone where it actually means slow motion. Not this 480p 240fps crap in most phones. 

Good work Sony!

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

so TL;DR: They've reduced the rolling shutter problem and can do super high fps 1080p video.  Nice :D 

As for killing the pocket camera market, I think that's already happened.  Basically it's a decision between convenience (smartphone) and quality (DSLR) at this point... pocket cameras only give you the worst of both worlds xD 

Mmm I think they still have their place. The ergonomics of a decent pocket camera still outweighs the smartphone, or when you go traveling and you don't want to bring your expensive phone.

9 hours ago, Daring said:

So, it only packs 125MB of DRAM between the pixel and circuit?

Capitalization is important, yo. It's the difference between gigabyte (GB) and gigabit (Gb).

I'm aware of the difference.

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What if I had a Gopro? 

What if?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, CtW said:

I hope they make the native dynamic range and low light performance not shit. If I could get clean images at iso3200 from a smartphone that would be great.

Particularly with regard to low light performance, that's kind of tricky with a sensor the size of a pinhead :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Now let's hope they can create software good enough to match the hardware. While the sensor is really good on my Z5P, image processing is falling behind the competition on similar/the same hardware.

12 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

Now let's hope they can create software good enough to match the hardware. While the sensor is really good on my Z5P, image processing is falling behind the competition on similar/the same hardware.

That's dependent mostly on the company that implements it. Most companies use a Sony sensor.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Damn that FPS ! :-O

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

That's dependent mostly on the company that implements it. Most companies use a Sony sensor.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Sony for whatever reason makes great sensors, but just so-so software that gets outperformed by a lot of their customers' implementations. Being a user of an Xperia Z5P, it's just a bit disappointing. You would think the originator would have the best implementation of their own hardware, but it's just not the case with Xperia phones. It's no where near bad, in fact far from it, but just isn't as good as others. :/