Chrome users on Windows will soon be able to only get extensions through Google's store

chromelogo620x340pxhedimg.jpg

In an attempt to improve Chrome's security,Google has announced that all extensions for Chrome's beta and stable versions on Windows must be hosted in the Chrome Web Store as of January. Users on the dev or corporate channels, however, will still be able to install add-ons from local sources as usual. This should reduce the chances of having malicious extensions hijack the browser. There are however no plans to introduce this on other platforms since Windows users is where most complaints come from.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/07/chrome-windows-extension-policy/

This really sucks since I do use some apps which are only available outside the Chrome store but I guess there's still the option of switching to dev channel, even if I wish we weren't forced to switch to it because of the many people who fall for these despite Chrome warning them of the risks.

Yep it's sad

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

ahh I see ...way to google chrome although I just ranted about you 30 minutes ago.....-_-

I use the HD2.6 extension for things like straight HD videos on youtube.

Does anyone know of the extension on youtube were you can pause the video or restart without it refreshing the entire video?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Looks like I'll be switching over to Firefox when this happens, because there's some extensions that I use that aren't in the Chrome Webstore. I really don't want to switch, because I love Chrome, so hopefully some kind of work-around will come out. 

COMIC SANS

Only thing I say to this:

I am using Firefox.

But mostly web browsing is done on my Mac using safari...

Ehh Chrome isnt that great... Its like hey stopped supporting it now

Yeah, I kinda prefer FF as a browser TBH but I love Chrome's ability to sync with other devices, especially on android.

Looks like I'll be switching over to Firefox when this happens, because there's some extensions that I use that aren't in the Chrome Webstore. I really don't want to switch, because I love Chrome, so hopefully some kind of work-around will come out.

Not really a work around but if you read the article, I mention that you can switch to the dev channel and still get that functionality, so it's not that bad from that aspect.

I've been wondering why the Flash plugin in Chromium has been bugging out recently in Windows.

Maybe this will be good for the non-techy people, but I hope theres an opt-out option somewhere.

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

I've been wondering why the Flash plugin in Chromium has been bugging out recently in Windows.

Maybe this will be good for the non-techy people, but I hope theres an opt-out option somewhere.

Once more, not exactly an "Opt-out option" but:

...if you read the article, I mention that you can switch to the dev channel and still get that functionality, so it's not that bad from that aspect.

Really, Google? I thought you were the good guys. Now you're almost as bad as Apple, locking everyone into your software...

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

So does this affect Chrome on Mac?

Because I love YT center extension and I don't know what I'd do without it;

Similar thread here but don't think it is the same: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59271-google-says-it-will-begin-banning-most-chrome-plug-ins-in-jan-2014/

Pretty nice that they did this in order to secure their browser.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

so eta on them removing adblock and youtube center from the official apstore?

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I've been using the Dev channel since Chrome first came out (2008?), and it's only really broken maybe 3 times since then?

So, thankfully the feature's still available on that channel.  Still kinda sucks, though.  Shows the direction in which Google's been taking its services in general.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

What if i already have some installed. Will the ones I already have be disabled.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Really, Google? I thought you were the good guys. Now you're almost as bad as Apple, locking everyone into your software...

Yeah! What have happened to Google's spirit? This last year a (new?) ugly side have come forward. Any manufacturer of items to Google Android is locked to them; forced Google+ on Youtube; Microsoft prevented to put use Youtube and so on.

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs

Yeah! What have happened to Google's spirit? This last year a (new?) ugly side have come forward. Any manufacturer of items to Google Android is locked to them; forced Google+ on Youtube; Microsoft prevented to put use Youtube and so on.

The worst part about it is that they earned our trust first, only to completely shatter it and make sure we have no other options. It's a complete dick move. I've always been a huge supporter of Google, but recently, I'm not really sure. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole