Thin laptops are overrated

Eason85

I'd rather have a laptop with a smaller footprint with better cooling and battery life than something flat and thin with shitty battery life, poor thermals, and a large footprint. Thin 15.6" laptops with large footprints like the GS63 make me fucking sick. I have never put a laptop down and thought "god, why can't it be thinner?" but I put a laptop down and think "WHY UR ASS SO BIG?!" ALL THE TIME. Discuss.

8 minutes ago, Eason85 said:

I'd rather have a laptop with a smaller footprint with better cooling and battery life than something flat and thin. Thin 15.6" laptops with large footprints like the GS63 make me fucking sick. Discuss.

Uhm portability? As someone who commutes every day 16Km to uni, I can appreciate thinner and lighter laptops. I don't quite feel like carrying a behemoth on my backpack every day.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

I'd rather have something thin and light to easy carry around with ok battery where I can recharge it later.

Real laptops have mass.

wait what

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

3 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

Uhm portability? As someone who commutes every day 16Km to uni, I can appreciate thinner and lighter laptops. I don't quite feel like carrying a behemoth on my backpack every day.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I'd rather have something thin and light to easy carry around with ok battery where I can recharge it later.

I'd like to point out that there's a difference between light and thin. One does not guarantee or exclude the other. In my opinion (and personal experience with university) thickness doesn't make much of a difference as long as it fits in my bag, and it would have to be 4-5cm thick in order to not fit. On the other hand, weight can and will strain your shoulders and back. I use a thinkpad x220, which is thick by modern standards but not heavy, and honestly I've never had a problem with its thickness. For comparison, previous generation macbook pros were significantly thinner but not lighter.

As for the footprint, after getting used to a 12.5-13" size I find 15.6" to be larger than I need or want, but if it didn't come at a weight cost and it fit in my bag I don't think I'd have much of an issue using one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I'd like to point out that there's a difference between light and thin. One does not guarantee or exclude the other. In my opinion (and personal experience with university) thickness doesn't make much of a difference as long as it fits in my bag, and it would have to be 4-5cm thick in order to not fit. On the other hand, weight can and will strain your shoulders and back. I use a thinkpad x220, which is thick by modern standards but not heavy, and honestly I've never had a problem with its thickness. For comparison, previous generation macbook pros were significantly thinner but not lighter.

As for the footprint, after getting used to a 12.5-13" size I find 15.6" to be larger than I need or want, but if it didn't come at a weight cost and it fit in my bag I don't think I'd have much of an issue using one.

Have you ever seen a laptop that is thin but really heavy?

Yes I said

12 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'd like to point out that there's a difference between light and thin

That is the reason I said thin AND light. Logical AND :D

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

i used to think bigger was better i spent £2k on a 2011 17" macbook pro then came a time where i needed to take it places and i tell you lugging round a 17" laptop made from aluminium is not fun hence why i now have a dell xps 13 which is more powerful than the macbook was (apart from the graphics) and a 12" macbook for personal uuse and i told my work to get me the smallest laptop possible so i have a lenovo thinkpad x230 these two laptops combines way less than the macbook saving my back should i need to for some reason take both somewhere 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Have you ever seen a laptop that is thin but really heavy?

Yes I said

Not really heavy but I the topic at hand was wether thinness in particular is overrated or not. My point is that you can have most of the benefits without making the laptop particularly thin, therefore making the race to shave one more mm kind of pointless in my opinion. I wish they'd focus on other parts, like not gutting the I/O and build quality just to have it ever so slightly thinner. Much of the same goes for phones, I don't care for 1 or 2 more mm if it gets me better battery life and a headphone jack.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I Think People are taking what he meant partially Wrong. the MSI laptop is Thin and has a small battery but its got a stretched out body just so it can be thin to accommodate the internals still see the big black chunck at the top in the below picture. I Think OP is saying why do this? they should just make the laptop the Thickness it needed to be and keep a big battery in it not streach it out to put on paper how thin it is. 

I Could be wrong idk. If i am i agree with the Thin and Light laptops cause i had a 17 inch Gaming laptop back in 2011 was 10lbs most backpacks couldnt zipper with it due to the size and the weight was too much. If you plan on even once and a while taking it with you something close to the Alienware 13 or razer blade gigabyte 14 aero or similar 13-15inches that are less then 5lbs  are necessary.  but the prices start jumping when you want really thin and light  

Untitled.png

^^^ you're right, that's basically what I meant. companies have squashed laptops flatter only to make them wider. They make the bezels ugly and fat, then they charge you extra for a "premium" laptop that has "tiny" bezels.

compaq-presario-m2000-15-windows-xp-pro-

Check out this new laptop, guys. Look how razor-thin its bezels are! Somehow people haven't noticed that in 15 years the most basic things haven't improved, they've gotten worse.

IMG_0010-copy-800x420.jpg

BUY NOW BUY NOW ITS NEW ITS MODERN ITS SLIM *vomits blood*

Anyway, yeah: what I am mostly annoyed at (if all things like weight are equal) that being 1" thick is far better than having a huge footprint, poor thermals, and shit battery life. [x220 and x230 intensify]

I prefer laptops that just run well. Weight is not a problem. I mean...just get stronger... I carry 2-3 laptops around every day (still out of shape as fuck). And yes larger laptops are annoying, but I'd like to point to a video that Rossman did about how older thinkpads with protruding batteries were so much better. Because you can actually hold the damn thing. I can do it with my current AW and my Thinkpad 560, but on the AW I always feel like I'm going to break the back plastic shroud. So fuck that, that stays in the suitcase in the hotel for gaming purposes on occassion. Zbook and T560 still daily drivers. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Because thinnes is hot right now, the same goes for form over function.

I am still rocking a T420s, because new laptops seems rather meh (there are some few laptops I find interresting).

They choose to make their laptops thinner, but at the cost of cooling and hardware, meaning they put a lower TDP CPU in their laptops or they just make it wider to accommodate for the lost vertical space. 

I wish that we still had the big batteries that stuck out from the back of the laptop. Like this

Spoiler

x220.jpg

Also who really cares if their laptop is 3 cm thick or 1.5 cm thick? 

@Pendragon You mean this video, right? 

I fully agree with him and I wish that my T420s could have such a battery.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

@Pendragon You mean this video, right? 

YEAAAAA. It's how I carry my laptops when I'm moving about. 

Laptop Main

i like thin laptops (though i miss the gaming on the go).

I used to carry 7-12KG bags around (my friends would have around the 16kg),

usually i would pack everything i might need (cables, adapters, books ect).

Recently however i've moved to a lighter setup, the downside of not having everything i need all the time is fine though

2 hours ago, Eason85 said:

"god, why can't it be thinner?"

You ever picked up one of those 17.3" ROGs?

Because I have one of them as my daily driver and I ask myself that all the time.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

As a university student, I disagree. I don't have space for a desktop and have one machine for both work and play. Having a laptop under 4-5 lbs that won't break my back is bliss, and they do have a market atleast for me.

PC in Profile

2 minutes ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

As a university student, I disagree. I don't have space for a desktop and have one machine for both work and play. Having a laptop under 4-5 lbs that won't break my back is bliss, and they do have a market atleast for me.

Well that's at least 2 of us

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

2 hours ago, Funtoink63 said:

This thing was a god though. You could of bought this hella early and kept upgrading it. 

Laptop Main

7 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

This thing was a god though. You could of bought this hella early and kept upgrading it. 

I only know about this one. Are there any more of this kind of laptop?

1 minute ago, Funtoink63 said:

I only know about this one. Are there any more of this kind of laptop?

Ummmm not really anymore. Clevo still releases upgradable laptops. But not that upgradable. They changed alot of things around when Pascal was launched and the MXM machines made in Pascal needed to be modded to work on Pascal. 

Upgradability is no longer guaranteed. The only current laptops like that are the following:

MSI 16L13

P750DM2

P775DM3

P870DM3

P870KM1

or variants of these in the maxwell generation. 

Laptop Main

8 hours ago, Suika said:

You ever picked up one of those 17.3" ROGs?

Because I have one of them as my daily driver and I ask myself that all the time.

Amen, I got a G751JT and am currently trying to sell it so I can get something smaller, it was good when I traveled twice a year, but now I carry it around daily and just can't take it, I have to take 2 backpacks, 1 for my books and one for the laptop.

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

Amen, I got a G751JT and am currently trying to sell it so I can get something smaller, it was good when I traveled twice a year, but now I carry it around daily and just can't take it, I have to take 2 backpacks, 1 for my books and one for the laptop.

SAAAAAAAAMMMMEEEEEE

I have the G751JM and I'm selling it too. I dunno what I'm going to buy but I've seen some GTX 1060 laptops hit as low as $850 so I'mma try and fetch one of them, they're usually like half the weight of the ROG lmao.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

SAAAAAAAAMMMMEEEEEE

I have the G751JM and I'm selling it too. I dunno what I'm going to buy but I've seen some GTX 1060 laptops hit as low as $850 so I'mma try and fetch one of them, they're usually like half the weight of the ROG lmao.

I'm going mid range now, because I want to allocate some of the money for a new 7600k, I made a thread just now about this laptop but noone wants to give me advice on it. I'm not 100% sold on that 950M 4GB.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Ideapad-700-15-6-IPS-Full-HD-Laptop-Core-i5-6300HQ-12GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-/391693823119?nav=SEARCH