name some movies where america isn't the hero of the day

ArcThanatos

ok not meaning to piss anyone off here (but if you must take offense.. well thats your stick in the mud)
i want a good movie, preferring action movie... where america or an american isn't the hero, ill take a mexican chinese hobo with a salami stick if i have too.
i dont want to watch anythin Michael "EXPLOSIONS" bay related, due to movies like the last air bender, the last sumari, 47 ronnin, DC\Marvel movies. anything vin diesel\steven seagull and all alike have become rather boring and tedious, any one got some ideas ?

things like district 9 im all good for
tomorrow when the war began

Chappie, its about a robot with real AI basically growing up in a south african township.

Elysium is about a future where all the aristocrats go and live on a massive space station come planet and leave all the poor in squalor on earth, then one guy gets cancer from being in the factories radiation chamber and spends the rest of his life (about a week) bringing justice to elysium and helping the poor.

Both are by the same guy who made district 9.

- snip-

Serenity?

It's a little bit of a cheat since America isn't actually a thing in Serenity, but the heroes have a bit of a thing against political superpowers.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I didn't know there were so many "America" movies that you have to make a request with the criteria that you don't want an American-hero movie.

@ArcThanatos

Americans/American allies as antagonists

Generation War (Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter), which is WWII from the German perspective. Tv series on Netflix. 

Battleship Yamato, about the voyage of the IJN Yamato. I don't know exactly where to find this one.

Isoroku, about the WWII military career of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (known for proposing the attack on Pearl Harbor). Again, you will have to do some digging.

Main character not American

Enemy at the Gates, about the battle of Stalingrad following the Russian sniper Vasily Zaytsev.

Admiral, about the Dutch Admiral Michiel de Ruyter and the Orangist revolution

The Admiral, about Vice-Admiral Alexander Kolchak and his role as the leader of the anti-communist White Movement during the Russian Civil War.

The Admiral: Roaring Currents, about the battle of Myeongnyang in 1597 and follows the actions of the Japanese and the Korean Admiral Yi Sun-sin.

This is just a short list, if you want more just ask.

Ip Man, Red Cliff (both have sequels) and Blitz for starters. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

I didn't know there were so many "America" movies that you have to make a request with the criteria that you don't want an American-hero movie.

We can just add this to the list of things Kloaked doesn't know.

(Oh damn shots fired.)

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

We Were Soldiers 

Dr.-Evil-746x400.jpg

Battle Royale 1&2 (Japanese Movie)

Shaun of the dead 

Hot Fuzz

28 days later

Brotherhood of the wolf (french movie)

Godzilla movies (save for 2)

Police Story 1-4 (Jackie Chan Movie)

Rumble in the Bronx  (Also Jackie Chan Movie)

Lord of the the rings trilogy

3 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Well Hollywood IS in the U.S.

Got to keep up the hate America post count, eh?

Have to live under a rock to not be exposed to all the movies where America or an "American protagonist" isn't involved.  But when your examples list Michael Bay and Marvel, that's not exactly an indication of a broad movie-going experience.

Hell, seems like half of the "American" actors are Canadian anyway.  Not to mention British, a.k.a. "the good ones".

4 hours ago, RocketFarmer said:

Got to keep up the hate America post count, eh?

Have to live under a rock to not be exposed to all the movies where America or an "American protagonist" isn't involved.  But when your examples list Michael Bay and Marvel, that's not exactly an indication of a broad movie-going experience.

Hell, seems like half of the "American" actors are Canadian anyway.  Not to mention British, a.k.a. "the good ones".

i have seen alot of other movies where americans arent the heros, but id like a list so i can find some i haven't seen.
id love to see more Firefly, the expanse kinda shows. vikings is awesome, so is GOT.

to be clear i dont wanna see shit like Housos either. (aussie show. basically its a bunch of bogans being stupid.)

its not a "i hate america", its just alot of shows i have watched lately are all about the american hero thing.

its a "i want to watch something thats not about america"

as is there are some aussie movies that i completely hate and think are utter garbage.

hate that movie, and "Australia" the movie was so shit. ... ill slash my wrist with a spoon before watching it. (FYI im also aussie, and i think there are very few movies here worth watching)

attack on titan was... wierd as hell. i like it, but it was wiiiiierd.

Green Street hooligans was a great movie

... any one know of Movies like "The Monkey King" worth watching as well ?

8 hours ago, Kloaked said:

you know that kid in the class who always has a story of how great he is..... no one likes that kid (looks at michael bay) is there a criteria where we can elect to stop him making movies.