CCleaner, does it really help a windows PC?

So every so often I use CCleaner on my computer too, what I think is, help my Windows workstation be a little cleaner and get rid of extentions, temp files, and registry keys. However, I wanted to ask, does it really help or work on Windows to run a problem that cleans your windows OS? 

Thanks in advance! 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

https://decentsecurity.com/#/registry-cleaners/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2015/06/digital-snake-oil/

It's generally no longer recommended. 

Edit: Registry cleaners are not recommended. I guess using CCleaner to get rid of temp files isn't horrible.

I only use it to clean up my temp files. I have a lot of programs and dont feel like going into each piece of software to clean up.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I find it does to an extent. I've done the worst case scenario and ran it on somebody's computer who downloaded every option toolbar ever, and saw very slight improvements after running it. At the very least, I've never seen it break anything and it's a convenient way to get rid of temp files.

it's ok to get rid of temp files on a system

but it's not the best, i generally blast my systems with it every week but thats what i do

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

6 minutes ago, Kick said:

5 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Beyond freeing up some space, not really. In fact, messing with the registry might break things as opposed to fix it. Hasn't happened for me yet, though.

Well the part I noticed was CCleaner seemed to think the certain files that are installed, needed to be cleaned, even though they are still there, I could always just reimport my registry if something doesn't seem right.

EDIT: should I just reimport my supposedly "cleaned" registry? Just so nothing happens?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

CCleaner is  somewhat still good, especially for the temp files like mentioned, but I wouldnt really advise it any more nowadays, unless for specific use such as getting rid of windows.old folder etc.

stay away from other ´´performance boosters´´ though, stuff like advanced system care from iobit which is quite famous are likely to do more damage than good.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

CCleaner is  somewhat still good, especially for the temp files like mentioned, but I wouldnt really advise it any more nowadays, unless for specific use such as getting rid of windows.old folder etc.

stay away from other ´´performance boosters´´ though, stuff like advanced system care from iobit which is quite famous are likely to do more damage than good.

Are windows.old folders protected somehow? Why would you need a third-party tool to delete them? 

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I've heard that. I usually use what Microsoft built into their own OS because they would know what needs to be cleaned, and usually I just go through temp folders on my own since I know where they are.

1 minute ago, Kick said:

Are windows.old folders protected somehow? Why would you need a third-party tool to delete them? 

They are in that you need to take ownership of them to delete them as a user admin. I've done this myself since I know how windows server permissions work.

I tend to run it on a regular basis, particularly after installing NVIDIA drivers to remove any temp files that might be present. It can remove a fair amount of junk, but the registry cleaner(just like any others out there) needs to be used in a cautionary way. It might be pretty safe to run the module, but it's not perfect and it can delete something Windows requires. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Kick said:

Disk Cleanup is sufficient for that.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

They are in that you need to take ownership of them to delete them as a user admin. I've done this myself since I know how windows server permissions work.

Thanks, I haven't had to mess with any machines with recovered / upgraded OS in a while, totally forgot it needed that. 

Nope, it won't be at all noticeable beyond a placebo. Just maintain your machine properly.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, Kick said:

Thanks, I haven't had to mess with any machines with recovered / upgraded OS in a while, totally forgot it needed that. 

Oh yeah, windows perms can be a headache, but if you do it a lot like I do it's not hard to forget. If you do just message me again and I can help you out.

2 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Nope, it won't be at all noticeable beyond a placebo. Just maintain your machine properly.

Sounds good, thanks. I'll just be importing my backed up registry now. 

EDIT: On second thought since I've already deleted these "keys" I am not sure if I should import it again.

4 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

As far as I'm concerned, that's part of the maintenance factor.

I have another question, what about programs like RevoPro which uninstalls the program and deletes that programs left over reg keys, Is that safe or good to use?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

CCleaner has other tools that dig into the system like killing startup programs that don't appear in Task Manager's startup tab and context menu entries.

But again, is it better to just simply go to the program that is running and tell it not to startup instead of having some third party application do it?

1 minute ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

But again, is it better to just simply go to the program that is running and tell it not to startup instead of having some third party application do it?

It's only deleting the startup entry. I guess it can cause issues, but only if the program re-creates the entry upon startup.

24 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

So every so often I use CCleaner on my computer too, what I think is, help my Windows workstation be a little cleaner and get rid of extentions, temp files, and registry keys. However, I wanted to ask, does it really help or work on Windows to run a problem that cleans your windows OS? 

Thanks in advance! 

IT Consultant with 10+ years in the field reporting in here, 5 of which were spent selling and repairing computer in a retail environment. Short answer: it's not really necessary for today's operating systems. (Unless you run MacOS which STILL DOES NOT have a way to actually uninstall applications. In 2017. WTF Apple. Why you make my life difficult?)

7 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

I have another question, what about programs like RevoPro which uninstalls the program and deletes that programs left over reg keys, Is that safe or good to use?

Long Answer: RevoUninstaller and CCleaner have some useful features outside of cleaning up the registry. I'll use CCleaner to manage startup items, since it's easier than dealing with Task Manager, the Startup Folder, and Task Scheduler separately. I'll also use RevoUninstaller and CCleaner to uninstall stubborn programs, or programs that install but for some reason failed to create proper, working uninstallation entries. (Why developers, why?)

Isn't it better to disable startup from within the program itself? Yeah, it is, but some programs (Skype can die anytime now) don't let you easily do this without logging in first, which is completely counter productive. 

I still use both on client computers, and will indeed use the registry cleaning portion of CCleaner. However, I DO NOT use it blindly. Meaning, if I need to cleanup someone's registry, I'll first make a backup, then scrutinize why CCleaner flagged something for removal. If I understand why it was flagged, such as an orphan file association with a program that's no longer installed, then it goes bye-bye. Otherwise I skip it, since you can definitely remove things you should not.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's only deleting the startup entry. I guess it can cause issues, but only if the program re-creates the entry upon startup.

So what do you think of RevoPro? I asked a few thread postings back.

2 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

So what do you think of RevoPro? I asked a few thread postings back.

I don't have experience with that program.