[H] delided a Kaby Lake i7 7700K, the results are .. interesting

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

( ಥـْـِـِـِـْಥ) what!?  Please for the love of god... *facepalm* someone needs to explain to them that's not how temperatures work.  For example, 40 C is not "twice as hot" as 20 C since 0 in whatever scale you're using, unless it's absolute is just some arbitrary value with no meaning in this context.

while you're at it, also learn him how to round off numbers :D

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Would be nice if, you know, a BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY WITH A MONOPOLY ON CPUS, does things right out of the factory regarding temps. 

yeah and if company managers could stop embezzling money and the government could stop favoring products and laws only to make that tax money and bacon would grow on bushes :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

liquid ultra is 38.4 w/mk, why didn't they use conductonaut? (73w/mk)

and anyone afraid of delidding, der8auer made a delid kit

It performs the same from what I've seen.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

6 minutes ago, Lays said:

I think it takes extreme cases for it to manifest it's difference.

4 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

Where can I get one of those ? And a step by step guide for noobies like me would be welcome.

right now only at caseking.de, but he promised worldwide shipping soon

35 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

-snip-

I'm pretty sure the GTX 480 is even hotter, get four of them with an FX-9590 or a Pentium D. xD

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, Lays said:

You can only dissipate heat so fast with air and water based cooling....which would be why that's the case.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

You can only dissipate heat so fast with air and water based cooling....which would be why that's the case.

Considering conductonaut and CLU are no good for subzero, it's not really much of a big difference I can't imagine.  I know people who use conducto and people who use CLU, and they always see about that 20-25c drop.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

12 minutes ago, Majestic said:

liquid ultra is 38.4 w/mk, why didn't they use conductonaut? (73w/mk)

Tried both of these pastes and they performed about equal, but the CLU was heaps easier to spread on to the die.

1 minute ago, Kumaresh said:

OK, I can get the delid mate, but what do I get for the new TIM to get this best performance? Some recommend another thermal paste while others say liquid metal o.O Which do I get for the best performance, where do I buy it and how do I apply it ? Sorry for being a noob :/

Liquid metal is the best, anyone who tells you otherwise has no experience first hand with delidding.

Just now, Lays said:

Considering conductonaut and CLU are no good for subzero, it's not really much of a big difference I can't imagine.  I know people who use conducto and people who use CLU, and they always see about that 20-25c drop.

Is Conductonaut electrically conductive? I really don't want to have to mess around with additional nail polish to make sure I don't short anything on my 4790K, which is currently being run with an adapted Pentium 4 cooler, and thermal compound with only 0.9 w/mk (its the same kind of stuff I find inside OEM machines-but at $25/150g...its worth it for S370/Slot 1 bencharking)

PMSL

Just now, Majestic said:

If you're not going to use liquid metal, don't bother delidding imho.

Liquid metal has no tangible benefits over some non metal products...and the jury is still out on how long they last before they need to be re-applied.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Liquid metal has no tangible benefits over some non metal products...and the jury is still out on how long they last before they need to be re-applied.

It has a significantly higher thermal conductivity. And mine has been applied for 3 years now.

31 minutes ago, Majestic said:

right now only at caseking.de, but he promised worldwide shipping soon

Particularly for those in north America, look up the Rockit 88 which has been around for a while.

14 minutes ago, Majestic said:

If you're not going to use liquid metal, don't bother delidding imho.

I lost the IHS lottery on one 6700k, where it would give bad results at 4.2 GHz due to temps above 80C with decent air. After a delid and using Noctua paste the hottest core dropped 15C and all was good again.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

30 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

I wouldn't normally consider delidding given the risks and voiding of warranty, but it's really hot where I live and I also want to over clock my system o.O I might thermal throttle like crazy and 10-20 degree temperature margins would make a huge difference.

you could use black glue / silicone to attach the IHS  and no one will be the wiser - if you do it properly

Just now, zMeul said:

you could use black glue / silicone to attach the IHS  and no one will be the wiser - if you do it properly

So you'd have to make the IHS look like shit again is what your saying.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

So you'd have to make the IHS look like shit again is what your saying.

what!?

[H] used red silicone to put it back on

1484857165b9Q0qmS6fl_1_5_l.jpg

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

I expect better from you man

2 hours ago, stealth80 said:

I delidded a 3770k and damaged a memory controller, still worked in single channel its what made me switch to the 4790k, and some guy on ebay got a bargain and fully knew what he was getting

so you sold the 3770k on ebay? 

3 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Mine was hitting 100C in stress tests while everything was stock. I undervolted my chip just to cool it down.

Haswell situation hmm. 

No wonder there is "Kabylake refresh" coming next.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, Lays said:

Thermal shock, tldr the die is too small for the heat to dissipate when they solder it, so it will kill chips

I'm not sure TLDR was appropriate there, since the part after it was 643% longer. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440