[H] delided a Kaby Lake i7 7700K, the results are .. interesting

This is why Ryzen is so important. Intel is like a fat lazy greedy corporation. IPC goes nowhere. Core count goes nowhere. Prices rise slowly and constantly. It's about time we get some proper competition. Of course, that doesn't happen if people still buy Intel per automatics, even if it's much worse in price to performance.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

No they don't I know a few who uses bare die. The risk of shorting is very small as long as you keep the pot below ambient all the time, and insulate correctly, bare die gives much better temperatures.  

Nick Shih is one of the only people that has done it recently when he validated a 6700k at like 7+ g, everyone else is cpu->grizzly->ihs->grizzly->pot or gc extreme. 

Mass and surface area are EXTREMELY important at -190c, at low load it's OK to do no IHS, but any long benchmark it's not recommended. The extra mass that the IHS adds helps with temp control if the CPU has a cold bug, and increases surface area.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

20 minutes ago, Lays said:

Nick Shih is one of the only people that has done it recently when he validated a 6700k at like 7+ g, everyone else is cpu->grizzly->ihs->grizzly->pot or gc extreme. 

Mass and surface area are EXTREMELY important at -190c, at low load it's OK to do no IHS, but any long benchmark it's not recommended. The extra mass that the IHS adds helps with temp control if the CPU has a cold bug, and increases surface area.

When you've a 2 kilogramme LN2 pot, it isn't that important, The IHS if reapplied badly can create a trap zone for moisture. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

When you've a 2 kilogramme LN2 pot, it isn't that important, The IHS if reapplied badly can create a trap zone for moisture. 

yeah but its really easy to crush the die with a 2kg pot + the huge mounting pressure. i would never bench naked die on skylake or kaby as the pcb is too thin. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

10 hours ago, Citadelen said:

I'm pretty sure the GTX 480 is even hotter, get four of them

i don't want my house to burn down

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

yeah but its really easy to crush the die with a 2kg pot + the huge mounting pressure. i would never bench naked die on skylake or kaby as the pcb is too thin. 

That's what the delid bracket is for, and either way, an IHS sits on the die either way, whether it's there or not doesn't matter, it just makes the normal mounting bracket mount it better. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That's what the delid bracket is for, and either way, an IHS sits on the die either way, whether it's there or not doesn't matter, it just makes the normal mounting bracket mount it better. 

but only msi boards have that and msi boards are crap :P 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Which people do you know using bare die? I've been competing on hwbot for 2-ish years now and talk to a lot of the top guys, Nick Shih is literally the only guy I've seen in the past year doing it with a 7g+ validation on a 6700k.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

but only msi boards have that and msi boards are crap :P 

I know MSI make one, but there are much better ones and they're universal :P. I also dislike MSI boards though, ASRock too, but they usually cost less so win win. 

Yours faithfully

5 minutes ago, Lays said:

Which people do you know using bare die? I've been competing on hwbot for 2-ish years now and talk to a lot of the top guys, Nick Shih is literally the only guy I've seen in the past year doing it with a 7g+ validation on a 6700k.

Buildzoid for one does (did, idk, haven't watched him lately) it. I only did LN2 with a friend once, I can't say I do it, but I like to run my hardware 24/7 for HPC so I tend to actually underclock. 

Yours faithfully

Tech City just did a video on this, and the results of his 7700K with Liquid Pro was fucking astonishing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Buildzoid for one does (did, idk, haven't watched him lately) it. I only did LN2 with a friend once, I can't say I do it, but I like to run my hardware 24/7 for HPC so I tend to actually underclock. 

Buildzoid doesn't even have a kaby or skylake cpu dude. LOL

1 minute ago, Lays said:

Buildzoid doesn't even have a kaby or skylake cpu dude. LOL

Yeah, he did it on Devils Canyon, there isn't a difference beyong 14nm and a slightly thinner PCB (which doesn't matter if you mount it right, but looking at some LN2 rigs, overclockers rarely do things right), it works the same. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, he did it on Devils Canyon, there isn't a difference beyong 14nm and a slightly thinner PCB (which doesn't matter if you mount it right, but looking at some LN2 rigs, overclockers rarely do things right), it works the same. 

@Jumper118 just asked him on Telegram if he's ever benched naked die on LN2, and he said nope.

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

@Jumper118 just asked him on Telegram if he's ever benched naked die on LN2, and he said nope.

Ok, and? He's one, just because some don't doesn't all don't. It's probably easier with it, but that's not what extreme overclocking is about. The IHS has often been left off, it was more popular in the past, but in the end you're still having an extra TIM layer and a jenky mount between them. 

Yours faithfully

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Reduction in Temperature =/= Reduction in Heat/Thermal Energy. The statement is correct.

Let me requote the original statement:

Replacing our Kaby Lake TIM resulted in a 25.28% decrease in package temperature

OK, relative to what?  If it dropped to 0 C, does that mean there was a 100% reduction in temperature?  What about -20 C?  This is meaningless and nonsensical.  I could understand them perhaps making it relative to the idle temps, but this is totally arbitrary and it's a stupid comment. 

6 hours ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Q = mcT

Where Q is the energy of the object in Joules, m being the mass of the object, c being the heat capacity for a given unit mass of said object and T being the temperature in Kelvin.

It's a quick tour of high school physics guys. Though if you really wanna dig down deep into temps you might as well start learning thermodynamics.

TL;DR It just means it's easier to make light things hotter than heavy things, all else being equal.

Should be dQ = mc(dt) but can't be bothered to find the delta symbols and calculus

Yes, but I'm not sure how that comes into play here.

5 hours ago, Devin92 said:

I dont really understand this. However my knowledge is still from high school so correct/update me. From my understanding of specific heat capacity, temperature change and the amount of energy needed to absorb (dissipate) has a linear ratio, given the specific heat does not change with temperature. so a 20C chip do has double the amount of energy compares to a 40C chip.

No, the problem there is that 0 is a totally arbitrary number.  If you convert to any absolute scale, like Kelvin for example, you can then say that 293.15 K (20 C) is "twice as hot" as something at 146.575 K (-126.575 C) but you can't do that in Celsius.  40 C (313.15 K) is only "6.8% hotter" than something at 20 C (293.15 K), if we are going to use that language, which I really would rather not.  It makes a lot more sense to say something at 40 C has 6.8% more thermal energy than something at 20 C (assuming a constant specific heat capacity and unchanged mas sand composition).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No, the problem there is that 0 is a totally arbitrary number.  If you convert to any absolute scale, like Kelvin for example, you can then say that 293.15 K (20 C) is "twice as hot" as something at 146.575 K (-126.575 C) but you can't do that in Celsius.  40 C (313.15 K) is only "6.8% hotter" than something at 20 C (293.15 K), if we are going to use that language, which I really would rather not.  It makes a lot more sense to say something at 40 C has 6.8% more thermal energy than something at 20 C (assuming a constant specific heat capacity and unchanged mas sand composition).

ya. you are right. damn, forget about the unit of temperature. dumb by me.

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

.-.?

I tried to elaborate just a few posts back, go to page 4 :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-snip-

medo-2.gif (340×292)

You mean my life is a lie o-o? RIP

20ºC is not x2 40ºC and i.... i.... and then its the same for Kelvin but you say its a bad scale to use and its 6.8% and... and that the size and shape of the body affects how much higher the temperature is relative to the maths and....

9391299.jpg (500×323)

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

You mean my life is a lie o-o? RIP

20ºC is not x2 40ºC and i.... i.... and then its the same for Kelvin but you say its a bad scale to use and its 6.8% and... and that the size and shape of the body affects how much higher the temperature is relative to the maths and....

Unless I've made some horrible error without realizing it, I think you might have misinterpreted it :P 

40 = 2x 20 does not work in C because 0 is an arbitrary value with not meaning in this context.  With an absolute scale like Kelvin, you can simply multiply a number by two (ie, 200 K = 2x 100 K) because 0 is absolute zero, where there is no heat at all.  It's a good scale for that reason...

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-snip-

So Celsius sux hairy balls :D?

Groomlake Authority

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Unless I've made some horrible error without realizing it, I think you might have misinterpreted it :P 

40 = 2x 20 does not work in C because 0 is an arbitrary value with not meaning in this context.  With an absolute scale like Kelvin, you can simply multiply a number by two (ie, 200 K = 2x 100 K) because 0 is absolute zero, where there is no heat at all.  It's a good scale for that reason...

pretty much yes, basically, if you changed scale (let's say fahrenheit), then the 25.?% they mentinoned doesn't work anymore.

Your explanation on last page was spot on BTW!

Edited by wkdpaul
typos, words be difficult

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 hours ago, Devin92 said:

I dont really understand this. However my knowledge is still from high school so correct/update me. From my understanding of specific heat capacity, temperature change and the amount of energy needed to absorb (dissipate) has a linear ratio, given the specific heat does not change with temperature. so a 20C chip do has double the amount of energy compares to a 40C chip.

If you use kelvin then yes however this is is off set by 273.15 so its going from 293.15 to 313.15 thus about a 7.5% improvement if you went from 40C to 20C

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

So Celsius sux hairy balls :D?

I wouldn't say that.  It's a lot better for scientific purposes than something like Fahrenheit imo but you will see Kelvin used more commonly still for the reason I mentioned.  Of course, in certain equations there's no difference (ie, if you're taking the difference between two temperatures), but generally you want to be consistent to be safe.