i7 4790k at 110 watts?..

Hey guys,

So I replaced my thermal compound between my cpu and my cooler (NH-14u) and the thermals have been odd.. I've replaced it twice sense and have still been getting these temps.  Its been awhile sense I've studied up on safe temperatures for my processor and just wanted a consensus on if its in a safe margin.  Also as the title says HWmonitor reads it peaking at 110 watts which I've not seen before.  Everything's at stock, no OC, fresh TIM etc.  Also Positive air pressure with 3 intake 1 exhaust in a 750D.  Thanks in advance! 

3f0ab199765bcf95d1629092050a7dd4.png

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

88W rating is not a peak rating.

If you run something intensive the average in HWmonitor should go up to ~88W.

Nothing wrong with 110W peak.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ah, 4.4GHz OC? I guess those temps aren't too bad :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

88W rating is not a peak rating.

If you run something intensive the average in HWmonitor should go up to ~88W.

Nothing wrong with 110W peak.

Ah okay got it!

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah, 4.4GHz OC? I guess those temps aren't too bad :P 

Well its not OC, that's just stock everything.  I remember it running A LOT cooler (70c MAX) so I got concerned. 

2 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

ell its not OC, that's just stock everything.  I remember it running A LOT cooler (70c MAX) so I got concerned. 

Whoops...forgot 4790K had 4.4GHz boost :P 

I've always remembered the clock speeds for a 4770K and not 4790K...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Whoops...forgot 4790K had 4.4GHz boost :P 

I've always remembered the clock speeds for a 4770K and not 4790K...

Indeed, oddly enough this CPU used to go to 4.5ghz Stock with nothing changed even though the bios said it was set for 4.4ghz... Ill keep an eye on the temps, so far 10 minutes of burn in with aida64 only shows the temps that I put above without any throttling.  And if it explodes it will give me a lame excuse to move to x99 ;)

29 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

Hey guys,

So I replaced my thermal compound between my cpu and my cooler (NH-14u) and the thermals have been odd.. I've replaced it twice sense and have still been getting these temps.  Its been awhile sense I've studied up on safe temperatures for my processor and just wanted a consensus on if its in a safe margin.  Also as the title says HWmonitor reads it peaking at 110 watts which I've not seen before.  Everything's at stock, no OC, fresh TIM etc.  Also Positive air pressure with 3 intake 1 exhaust in a 750D.  Thanks in advance! 

3f0ab199765bcf95d1629092050a7dd4.png

Well, the not so great TIM between the die and the IHS would degrade over time, so that might be the issue. While I miss the days of Indium soldered CPU's, they are massively more difficult to make and produce, you need to gold plate the IHS on the inside, and then coat the die in titanium and nickel-vanadium alloy then gold, so it gets expensive, which is why they moved to normal compound. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, the not so great TIM between the die and the IHS would degrade over time, so that might be the issue. While I miss the days of Indium soldered CPU's, they are massively more difficult to make and produce, you need to gold plate the IHS on the inside, and then coat the die in titanium and nickel-vanadium alloy then gold, so it gets expensive, which is why they moved to normal compound. 

That could be a cause however I think its down to another bad mount.. Ill remount it later tonight when I have time and if its not fixed oh well and if it is fixed then huzzah! 

1 minute ago, Nikolithebear said:

That could be a cause however I think its down to another bad mount.. Ill remount it later tonight when I have time and if its not fixed oh well and if it is fixed then huzzah! 

Ah, I had the same type of back and forth before on another post, aim for at least 50 Newtons of force, preferably around 75 to 100, but Intel specifies a total of 600 Newtons for the IHS, I suspect that includes the retention arm. 
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/4th-gen-core-lga1150-socket-guide.pdf

Yours faithfully

3 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Ah, I had the same type of back and forth before on another post, aim for at least 50 Newtons of force, preferably around 75 to 100, but Intel specifies a total of 600 Newtons for the IHS, I suspect that includes the retention arm. 
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/4th-gen-core-lga1150-socket-guide.pdf

I didn't delid the processor if that's what youre thinking, just mounted a NH-14U on a standard in the box lga1150 system.  If it comes down to having to become a physicist to be in IT I might tap out ;) but thanks for the information!

25 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

I didn't delid the processor if that's what youre thinking, just mounted a NH-14U on a standard in the box lga1150 system.  If it comes down to having to become a physicist to be in IT I might tap out ;) but thanks for the information!

naw I know you didn't delid, there isn't much point since it;s so hard to properly solder the two (although there is one fella I know who does). Newtons just means how much force is pressing down on the mount, 5 to 15 KG should be enough. 

Yours faithfully