Computer build underperforming...

Hey everyone, 

My name is Ben, And I am quite a noob at PC building and such. Anyway, Two months ago or so, I built this computer...

Specs:

Intel core i5 4670K CPU

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM

Nvidia GTX770 DirectCU2 2GB GPU

Zalman Z11 plus Case

Corsair h80i Watercooling

Corsair CX750M PSU

ASUS Z87-K Mobo

5 120mm Fans, Two of them at the back mounted as exhaust with the Corsair H80i radiator, One in front as an intake, one at bottom as an intake, and one at the top, also as an intake. 

Good cable management, and all arounc clean build if I would say so myself..

Basically, I would expect my system to be able to handle quite intensive games, Yet, it does not seem to.. 

When I run stuff, my CPU temperature EASILY rises to 59-60 degrees, and when gaming (Minecraft or anything else) it jumps up there right away, sometimes going 70-80 degrees (celcius). My GPU does reach around the same temperature aswell, But only after a while.. 

In Minecraft I do get around 90-300 FPS, Which is good but I'd expect more.. I can't record, because it just destroys my FPS completely.. I can't run "Shadersmod" either without having the FPS drop way below a playable level. Whenever I do BF3, I get around 40-80 FPS ish, With my CPU and GPU going "insanely" hot, GPU at 80 degrees and CPU at basically the same as minecraft (60-70).  The BF4 BETA was virtually unplayable for me seeing as I had a constant frame drop to 3FPS, And the rest of the time I would be lucky if I could hold a steady 30FPS for a second or two.. I've been in contact with ASUS, and tried to contact Corsair about the cooling for help, ASUS claims that the 770 (and I do know that this is bullshit) but that the 770 should only give you around 69-100 fps on minecraft and that is all you can expect, Whilst corsairs new support system with tickets, is complete crap. They dont even answer them.. Can someone try to help me with all this? I'd be forever grateful.. Oh, And I am planning on upgrading my PC this winter by adding another 770 to the system, Upgrading to an i7 Processor and another 8GB of ram at the same clockspeed, Aswell as switching my powersupply to some Corsair 1000w one (If I can afford all this). Can someone tell me if this would be enough, Or if I could actually get away with a lower (and cheaper) number?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Hey everyone,

My name is Ben, And I am quite a noob at PC building and such. Anyway, Two months ago or so, I built this computer...

Specs:

Intel core i5 4670K CPU

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM

Nvidia GTX770 DirectCU2 2GB GPU

Zalman Z11 plus Case

Corsair h80i Watercooling

Corsair CX750M PSU

ASUS Z87-K Mobo

5 120mm Fans, Two of them at the back mounted as exhaust with the Corsair H80i radiator, One in front as an intake, one at bottom as an intake, and one at the top, also as an intake.

Good cable management, and all arounc clean build if I would say so myself..

Basically, I would expect my system to be able to handle quite intensive games, Yet, it does not seem to..

When I run stuff, my CPU temperature EASILY rises to 59-60 degrees, and when gaming (Minecraft or anything else) it jumps up there right away, sometimes going 70-80 degrees (celcius). My GPU does reach around the same temperature aswell, But only after a while..

In Minecraft I do get around 90-300 FPS, Which is good but I'd expect more.. I can't record, because it just destroys my FPS completely.. I can't run "Shadersmod" either without having the FPS drop way below a playable level. Whenever I do BF3, I get around 40-80 FPS ish, With my CPU and GPU going "insanely" hot, GPU at 80 degrees and CPU at basically the same as minecraft (60-70). The BF4 BETA was virtually unplayable for me seeing as I had a constant frame drop to 3FPS, And the rest of the time I would be lucky if I could hold a steady 30FPS for a second or two.. I've been in contact with ASUS, and tried to contact Corsair about the cooling for help, ASUS claims that the 770 (and I do know that this is bullshit) but that the 770 should only give you around 69-100 fps on minecraft and that is all you can expect, Whilst corsairs new support system with tickets, is complete crap. They dont even answer them.. Can someone try to help me with all this? I'd be forever grateful.. Oh, And I am planning on upgrading my PC this winter by adding another 770 to the system, Upgrading to an i7 Processor and another 8GB of ram at the same clockspeed, Aswell as switching my powersupply to some Corsair 1000w one (If I can afford all this). Can someone tell me if this would be enough, Or if I could actually get away with a lower (and cheaper) number?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

If you were going to upgrade, you wouldn't need a 1000w PSU... And why do you have a 750W PSU in that system!?

Get hardware monitors with logging capabilities running while gaming, tell us the results.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

90-300fps on minecraft with an Nvidia 770 is perfectly acceptable. its an OpenGL game. AMD are the kings of OpenGL

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

most  of your upgrades are just useless.... 16 gig isnt needed for gaming, and so is an i7, 1000 watts? oww please, i can understand your upset that your rig isnt performing as it should be doing, so maybe look into it?

did you aply enough/not to much thermal paste, no airbubble formed? a GPU that hits 80 degrees, contact the maker and ask what you should do, ask if you can RMA it

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Your GPU heating up isn't abnormal... You're acting like your GPU should stay at 55 degrees Celsius all the time.. Also, what thermal paste did you use on your cooler?

It's perfectly normal for a GPU to hit 80C, your system is performing exactly as it should

If you want to upgrade leave everything else as it is and then buy a R9-290 GPU, this will give you the best boost, or if you really wish to stick with Nvidia you can get the 780 which won't perform quite as well and cost a little bit more. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

About your CPU,make sure two use quality pressure optimized fan from Corsair or Noctua

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

90-300fps on minecraft with an Nvidia 770 is perfectly acceptable. its an OpenGL game. AMD are the kings of OpenGL

OpenCL* if I recall correctly OpenGL has no bias if I remember correctly.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

If you were going to upgrade, you wouldn't need a 1000w PSU... And why do you have a 750W PSU in that system!?

You sure? I forgot to mention my 1TB Harddrive, and DVD Writer/Reader, Still, As I was building this system I consulted two of my friends who allegeldy have been working with servers and computers for 3 years now (individually) and since the GTX770 can pull up to 300w, and the CPU takes 84W (I think) and whatever else is running inside it, They recommended getting a 750, and as I told them about my plans on upgrading, they said that a 1000w would be better suited.. :/

Get hardware monitors with logging capabilities running while gaming, tell us the results.

I'll try that soon! Thanks! Any tips on good, free, logging software? As I did mention, I am a noob at this..

Yeah, but 300FPS is only in.. very optimal.. Situations.. Like, I have actually dropped below 80 aswell.. Either way, It does not bother me as much as not being able to run BF4, And not being able to run BF3 with a stable enough FPS.. Also recording using fraps while still maintaining a good Framerate was something which I had planned when I built this.. But that does not work, with any game..

most  of your upgrades are just useless.... 16 gig isnt needed for gaming, and so is an i7, 1000 watts? oww please, i can understand your upset that your rig isnt performing as it should be doing, so maybe look into it?

did you aply enough/not to much thermal paste, no airbubble formed? a GPU that hits 80 degrees, contact the maker and ask what you should do, ask if you can RMA it

How are they useless? If I do recall, RAM does help when rendering very graphically intense games such as Battlefield 3/4, If I were to run my browser aswell as the game itself, wouldnt it be preferrable to have 16GB instead of 8? An i7 would probably be a neceissity seeing as even minecraft does have a great improvement in FPS with that Processor.. As mentioned, The 1000w part is my buddies faults, I've gone by their advice and nothing else. I am upset, Yeah, And of course I have "looked into it" as much as I can.. I am just trying to check with this forum for help seeing as it seems to be underperforming at points, and having bad thermals. I did use the preapplied Corsair h80i thermal paste so I assume it was a good amount, I doubt an airbubble formed.. And I have already done that and ASUS blindely denies it possibly being faulty in any way, And I have already "RMA'd" one once already.. Might do it again since this does have coilwhine with some applications.

Your GPU heating up isn't abnormal... You're acting like your GPU should stay at 55 degrees Celsius all the time.. Also, what thermal paste did you use on your cooler?

Alright, thanks for saying that.. I am more concerned about my CPU though, and I used the preapplied h80i one.

It's perfectly normal for a GPU to hit 80C, your system is performing exactly as it should

If you want to upgrade leave everything else as it is and then buy a R9-290 GPU, this will give you the best boost, or if you really wish to stick with Nvidia you can get the 780 which won't perform quite as well and cost a little bit more. 

hes already got issues with heat why would u recommend the hottest card on the market also the 780 beats the 290 its the 290x that beats it at stock clocks but overclocked 780 wins

Have you reseated your CPU cooler?

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

You sure? I forgot to mention my 1TB Harddrive, and DVD Writer/Reader, Still, As I was building this system I consulted two of my friends who allegeldy have been working with servers and computers for 3 years now (individually) and since the GTX770 can pull up to 300w, and the CPU takes 84W (I think) and whatever else is running inside it, They recommended getting a 750, and as I told them about my plans on upgrading, they said that a 1000w would be better suited.. :/

I'll try that soon! Thanks! Any tips on good, free, logging software? As I did mention, I am a noob at this..

HDDs and DVD drives use an insignifigant amount of power, and the maximum TDP of the 770 is 230W

And I don't know about the CPU, but use GPU-z to monitor the GPU. Or use a second monitor and throw it up on there.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

About your CPU,make sure two use quality pressure optimized fan from Corsair or Noctua

The radiator has the supplied H80i fans mounted on it, seeing as they are high RPM, They should do good, shouldn't they..?

Yeah, Still more concerned about the CPU.. And I doubt it is.. I got four friends with virtually identical builds and they get better performance in every game, and every application, and everything is just running smoother. I won't really afford changing my card, or just upgrading it..I am looking for a fix. But thank you anyway :/ 

OpenCL* if I recall correctly OpenGL has no bias if I remember correctly.

Maybe it is OpenGL.. I recall seeing "Advanced OpenGL" in the Minecraft settings.

i have a i7 4770k 1tb hdd and a gtx780 and im fine with a 650w u dont need a 1000w psu 750w will be fine for 2 graphics cards but if only plan on having one graphics card u dont need a 750w

hes already got issues with heat why would u recommend the hottest card on the market also the 780 beats the 290 its the 290x that beats it at stock clocks but overclocked 780 wins

Apparently, The 780 is extremely good (friend's and videos) but, It's nothing that I could afford..

Have you reseated your CPU cooler?

No I have not, But I dont know if that would fix anything to be honest.. :/ I could try...

HDDs and DVD drives use an insignifigant amount of power, and the maximum TDP of the 770 is 230W

And I don't know about the CPU, but use GPU-z to monitor the GPU. Or use a second monitor and throw it up on there.

Alright.. I'll look into it. Thanks! Kinda concerns me though, I thought I'd be getting better results and honestly from looking at videos, and hearing stuff from friends with "identical" or "similar" builds, it performs way better than mine.. It's like, Your words against theirs. o_o 

i have a i7 4770k 1tb hdd and a gtx780 and im fine with a 650w u dont need a 1000w psu 750w will be fine for 2 graphics cards but if only plan on having one graphics card u dont need a 750w

If that is actually true, I should be very happy. Saved myself from buying a new PSU.. Still, It does not make sense when several sources of information and experience contradict eachother. I believe more in the LinusTechTips forums users though :)

Maybe it is OpenGL.. I recall seeing "Advanced OpenGL" in the Minecraft settings.

Minecraft is indeed OpenGL but I was saying that AMD cards are OpenCL powerful not OpenGL ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Don't worry about your GPU heat, but i am worried about your CPU, especially how you are describing it, you might not have installed your cooler/thermal compound right.

No need for a larger PSU

Your frames are very jumpy. How often do they drop ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

The radiator has the supplied H80i fans mounted on it, seeing as they are high RPM, They should do good, shouldn't they..?

They should be good(not great) but since your CPU temp is high you could either reapply thermal paste or buy better fans cause high RPM fans aren't quite good for rads.High quality pressure optimized fans will yield better results.

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

You're not going to benefit from buying an i7 especially if you're only gaming. Your current CPU is absolutely fine for gaming. Unless your games use more than 8GB of RAM or use applications that benefit from higher RAM capacities, than this is not going to benefit you much either. 1000W PSU is severely overkill, your current PSU is good. I have the Z11+ and I find the airflow quite poor to be honest, I can't wait to change my case. Furthermore, those GPU temps are normal, don't worry! :)

Don't worry about the BF4 thing, it was very buggy and people are still having problems. A lot of people posted about massive frame drops.

If you're going to upgrade anything I would say the GPU, 780/780Ti/290/290X - These are the ones that would probably benefit you more. If you're going for games where Mantle would be supported, e.g. BF4, than you could be better going with an AMD card, but first we have to see how Mantle will perform of course.

Is your H80i/pump sat correctly? Is it making good contact with the CPU?

So if you're going to upgrade anything, I would say the GPU. If you're more worried about temps, make sure the H80i is sat correctly along with the pump. If this still doesn't please you, look for another case and consider a 240mm AIO or a high end air-cooler such as a D14. Haswell runs hot in general unfortunately.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Minecraft is indeed OpenGL but I was saying that AMD cards are OpenCL powerful not OpenGL ^_^

Oh okay, Thank you for explaining ^_^

Don't worry about your GPU heat, but i am worried about your CPU, especially how you are describing it, you might not have installed your cooler/thermal compound right.

No need for a larger PSU

Your frames are very jumpy. How often do they drop ?

I do believe the thermal compound was right seeing as it is preapplied.. And I do believe that it is installed correctly since I followed the instructions carefully and it seems to be flush with the processor, and tightened with the thumbscrews..

Thank you for explaining that I dont need a bigger PSU, and they arent really jumpy unless I play BF4 or try to record.. Well, They get demolished.. In Minecraft I usually get 60-100 to be quite honest, but there are rare times where it just randomly pops me up to 300. 

lol mate just lol.... i remember a few years ago when people said this about the 480's... and you will be glad to know that a LC'd 290x overclocked owns a LC'd 780 overclocked 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I do believe the thermal compound was right seeing as it is preapplied.. And I do believe that it is installed correctly since I followed the instructions carefully and it seems to be flush with the processor, and tightened with the thumbscrews..

Thank you for explaining that I dont need a bigger PSU, and they arent really jumpy unless I play BF4 or try to record.. Well, They get demolished.. In Minecraft I usually get 60-100 to be quite honest, but there are rare times where it just randomly pops me up to 300. 

Is the thermal compound pre applied on a h80i ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield