Nintendo UK publish some solid Switch info

Master Disaster
33 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The 3DS has 3h of battery life (depending on the game of course, and console settings), and that has proprietary charging cable.

Unless you went to japan and purchased one or more of those 3DS to micro usb adapter for 200 yen. They're so useful. 

I also particularely like my thunderbolt to micro usb for my ipod nano.

Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%

Is it just me or does this seem to rule out a lot of actually fairly common conditions... ? 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is it just me or does this seem to rule out a lot of actually fairly common conditions... ? 

Florida will kill the Switch 365.25 out of 365 days of the year.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

41 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Normal figures for all your electronics. Check out your smartphone :)

The temperature is not of the outside, but rather of the device insides. If you put any LCD screen in your freezer, over night, it will be at a nice -4C, and the LCD liquid itself would be frozen. So it won't work. I have no idea of the damage that will do to the panel as the liquid could act like water where it expands, so please don't try.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The temperature is not of the outside, but rather of the device insides. If you put any LCD screen in your freezer, over night, it will be at a nice -4C, and the LCD liquid itself would be frozen. I have no idea of the damage that will do to the panel as the liquid could act like water where it expands, so please don't try.

I think water is the only liquid that expands when frozen. Most other molecules will keep their volumes or shrink as they freeze/solidify.

Edit: But it does make sense.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Couldn't find it for my phone so I looked up an Xbox controller instead, and here's what it said:  5 °C to 40 °C at 8% to 85% relative humidity (non-condensing)

Wider, as I expected.  And that's operating... storage is the well-known typical  -40 °C to 60 °C at 5% to 90% relative humidity (non-condensing)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you put any LCD screen in your freezer, over night, it will be at a nice -4C, and the LCD liquid itself would be frozen. So it won't work. I have no idea of the damage that will do to the panel as the liquid could act like water where it expands, so please don't try.

Funny you should mention that actually xD I once left my GBA in the car outside on a cold Saskatchewan winter night... not wise.  Outside was around -30 iirc, give or take, and I'm not sure what temperature it got to inside, but it was definitely below 0.  When I turned it on, the motion blur was extreme (think 1000 ms response time xD) but it still worked perfectly, and after it had warmed up, you'd never know it had happened.

4 hours ago, Daring said:

No, Reggie has said that matchmaking will be done through a smartphone app. There's also the mandatory online subscription coming later this year.

The Switch specs from the UK site very specifically say the audio jack supports microphones and headsets. 3rd parties are selling wired Switch headsets. There is one that is specifically called chat earphones. So there is something weird going on between all the information sources.

10 hours ago, Derangel said:

The Switch specs from the UK site very specifically say the audio jack supports microphones and headsets. 3rd parties are selling wired Switch headsets. There is one that is specifically called chat earphones. So there is something weird going on between all the information sources.

It's looking like you can chat on the switch I think the idea is that an app on your phone would just be easier for matchmaking sort of the same way battlefield uses a web page for matchmaking. So basically the functionality will be there on the switch and you can choose which you prefer I think once everything is released you might find that people actually end up prefering to use there phone. It's at times like these I feel bad for some iphone users that dont have an audio port lol.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

12 hours ago, Natsoup said:

The Switch needs to be viewed as more of a handheld then a proper handheld for me to really take it seriously, but the GPU goes down to 40% clock when undocked. Ew.

Because it's running at a lower resolution and relying purely on battery. People have been so happy to be marketed to by the Android phone/tablet manufacturers with their 1440p and 4K devices that they've lost track of how many pixels a screen this size needs before you're just killing battery life for the sake of it.

7 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Because it's running at a lower resolution and relying purely on battery. People have been so happy to be marketed to by the Android phone/tablet manufacturers with their 1440p and 4K devices that they've lost track of how many pixels a screen this size needs before you just killing battery life for the sake of it.

People are spoiled brats these days pixels almost lose there meaning on screens of that size 720p is absoloutley fine I could see the push for 1080p making the difference but when the games run at 720p in handheld mode whats the point I think nintendo has made a lot of great decisions for the switch and people will come to understand that when they get their hands on the console. My phone has a 4K screen and honestly I can't tell the difference between 4k footage and 1080p footage on it even 360p footage looks pretty good.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I haven't seen/read 1 person that talked bad about the screen of Switch. Everyone says that games look gorgeous on it and looks as good or better than the Vita.

• The 3DS has uses 240p displays -- 97 ppi
  • The Vita has a 5 inch 960x544 screen. -- 220ppi
  • WiiU has a 6.2 inch 480p screen. -- 158 ppi
  • Switch has a 6.2 inch 720p screen -- 237 ppi

I can tell you, the WiiU game pad screen looks nice. Yes you can see the pixels if you pay attention. The Switch is much higher than this, so it should be really hard to see the pixels at this level (not impossible, of course, it isn't 4K in this size or whatnot, of course).

I think people have just fallen in the marketing world: "4K, 1080p, HDR, Retina!"

And, people lost track of values as their premium high-end phone they get it for dirt cheap or even free as they pay it through their plan. Smartphones with good screens (and chip to power it all), are really expensive.

• Samsung Galaxy S7 (normal) has a MSRP of:  $670 US.
  • The Lumia 950 XL has a MSRP of:                   $650 US.
  • The iPhone S7 32GB has a MSRP of:              $720 US

The Switch is only 300$. So things has to be cut out. It is still very impressive in terms of performance for the cost, and there is no other device like it.

If you are holding the Switch like normal, say.. a bit closer to you than how you would hold a controller. That is about 12inch or so from your face. Retina, based on Apple specs, would be 15inch apart if "isthisretina.com" is to be believed. that is pretty darn close. A similarly priced phone you would only WISH to have close the performance and display resolution of the Switch, and you still don't have the controllers.

If you want 1080p, this is what Nintendo has to do:

1. Not be able to down-clock the Tegra chip on mobile mode.
  2. Have the fan kick-in all the time.
  3. Make the battery bigger to compensate for the more power the display and GPU needs (and fan), as the chip can't down-clock

Would you be interested in a Switch that has the above, and results in costing $550-600 US? I don't think so.

Already the Switch being $400 in Canada due to the currency rate, is really hard to swallow for many Canadian's. So imagine $550.

And to top things off, people would STILL complain!!!

No, I think Nintendo decision on that aspect is correct. It would be a diminishing return to have 1080p on the go. I am sure it is something they seriously considered.. especially that they don't need to break their heads with the engineering involved in switching resolution without screen flicking, and speed, between TV and console, and possible game crash as it is handled outside of the game, so the game can't do things to avoid unexpected behavior.

Oh and the PS4 Pro is still not true 4K native. It does visual post-precessing tricks to acheive that.

To add to above:

I do expect however, a console refresh with a faster Tegra maybe 2-3 years from now. similar fashion to the "New 3DS" model.

Maybe at this point Nintendo might be able to get 1080p on the go without the fan kick-in, or just focus on improved battery life... all depending on what Nvidia can cook-up with newer architectural innovations of its Tegra chip (more performance, or better power consumption, or both), and battery cost, and what Nintendo evaluate from its R&D to be the best move.

By the way, here is The Switch second ad:

Excellent ad! Really nice to see Nintendo retuning back to the good old days. No family play crap and kids playing with horrible acting and poorly written scripts. It clearly aims at the mature audience. Oh and they know where you'll play the console :)

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Excellent ad! Really nice to see Nintendo retuning back to the good old days. No family play crap and super kids, and horrible acting and poorly written scripts.

Oh and they know where you'll play the console :)

Newspaper ain't cuttin' it lately...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Newspaper ain't cuttin' it lately...

Oh come on cut the crap ! :P

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

To be honest, anyone comparing a switch to a PS4 or a xbone is as half-witted as someone comparing a laptop to a desktop without taking into consideration how the laptop has a built in screen and keyboard, a battery, speakers ect.

You're technically getting 2 controllers with the switch, a built in screen, a battery, built in speakers so...even with the cheapest things off the shelves, a PS4 or a xbone will still be more expensive than a Switch.

I know this isn't exactly how it works but I'm just tryna prove my point of how you really can't compare a portable handheld to a stationary machine. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

If only it had a removable or at the very least, serviceable, battery in there... Could upgrade it as new, bigger batteries come out...
I just hope someone will make a "battery case" for it that double/triple the charge it can handle in portable mode.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 hours ago, huilun02 said:

If it was a tablet at the same time that we could use for web viewing and video playback, I'd be all over it.

I wouldn't make any bets on it, but the Nintendo 3DS has a web browser (albeit shitty one), and it and the Wii U are capable of Netflix, YouTube, and other video apps, so chances are the Switch will be capable of what you're asking.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

44 minutes ago, Suika said:

I wouldn't make any bets on it, but the Nintendo 3DS has a web browser (albeit shitty one), and it and the Wii U are capable of Netflix, YouTube, and other video apps, so chances are the Switch will be capable of what you're asking.

The Switch has no web browser.

20 minutes ago, Daring said:

Has that been confirmed? I haven't found any information outside of guesses. Even then, is that only at launch, or no web browser in general?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

20 minutes ago, Daring said:

For now but I'm guessing somewhere down the line they will implement one.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

If only it had a removable or at the very least, serviceable, battery in there... Could upgrade it as new, bigger batteries come out...
I just hope someone will make a "battery case" for it that double/triple the charge it can handle in portable mode.

I am sure it will have batteries attachment that goes on the back of the system... kinda like the old GameGear had.

PZyqDUD.jpg

Well, ignore the massive size of that thing.. that is early 90's tech... It's not Lithium-Ion battery tech.. this was not even Ni-Mh rechargeable battery tech. It was Ni-Cd! So of course, massive, and heavy thing, and sucky for its size and recharge rate, etc.. But what I am saying, is that I expect a pack that snaps on the back, next to the kick-stand area (or has it's own to replace it the one it covers), where it will be like a smartphone battery size thing. Like something that my phone has:

Microsoft_Lumia_950_XL_battery_removed.j

Imagine that battery on the back. It's thin, it's small, yet packs power, and should give a nice 2-3h more (I mean it depends on the capacity of the battery, of course), but you get the idea.

1 hour ago, Suika said:

Has that been confirmed? I haven't found any information outside of guesses. Even then, is that only at launch, or no web browser in general?

Based on user interface leaks, there is no option for running a web browser.

These are what we know:

Switch-UI-760x428.jpg

nicalis-tweet-3-720x480-c.jpg

We just see a games, at the bottom icons, they have been confirmed by Nintendo that they are: News, eShop, Album (for the screenshot button), Controllers, Settings, and Power/Sleep

Unlike the WiiU, we can see Nintendo focus was on gaming with this device, and making a light-OS. Will they expand by taking their time ensure high optimization.. possibly, but so far assume no.

Don't expect a good web browser. Although, Nintendo did a very good job with the WiiU where they were using Firefox engine, if I am not mistaken.

2 hours ago, Suika said:

Yeah, it's been confirmed.

I know with the wii u gamepad the battery was removable, and the cheeky asshats didn't ship it with a battery that filled the whole cavity, the larger and more appropriately sized battery was sold separately. Looking forward to seeing a teardown