The longest anyone stayed without formatting their OS (5 years for my PC running win7) what about yours?

36 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Wait, I just thought about it and the longest any of my systems has been is 27 years. IBM PS/1 Model 2011

That's amazing man, much respect.

I've gone windows xp -> windows 7 -> windows 10 all from the same build as such. I did however clone the windows 7 install from a HDD to an SSD instead of reinstalling it. Wanna see how long i can go plus way too many programs and stuff to redownload and setup. 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

5 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Wait, I just thought about it and the longest any of my systems has been is 27 years. IBM PS/1 Model 2011

Have you even used that in the past decade though lol? It's easy to just throw an old computer into storage and forget about it, let's be honest here xD

Windows after Vista suffers less breakage for long term usage, WinXP in my experience gets shaky if there had been many driver and software changes--my old Athlon 64 is still running the same install of WinXP since 2004, however I did make an image backup for quicker restore may it be software/hardware or HDD failure.

Still have a dual-booting G3 Mac with a OS 8.6 partition which was upgraded to 9 in 2000 and then OS X(10.0 upgraded to 10.1 & later 10.3) on another partition.

24 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Have you even used that in the past decade though lol? It's easy to just throw an old computer into storage and forget about it, let's be honest here xD

I've used it many times and enjoy every minute of it. That's one of the reasons I was posting about the possibility of a vintage computing subforum. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Probably old laptop, 4 years and a half on Win 7. Before installing 7 on an SSD it ran Vista on an HDD for 3 and half years. Vista was slow from day 1, though, so it's not like it broke down with usage. I just had to wait until I had the time to reinstall stuff and lacked the pressure of needing it running everything for work (I tried a live upgrade 1 year and a half before, but after taking longer than a clean install would it just gave a cryptic error message in the final stage and took some more hours to revert to Vista. So a fresh install it had to be).

I format my Windows machines every 6 months or so to prevent excessive slowdown. 

My laptop runs Linux, so it doesn't have this problem and hence requires no formats.  I do format it every couple of years though, but that's only because I want to go to a newer version and prefer to do a clean install rather than an upgrade.

I'm usually lucky to make it past 6 months, usually I upgrade a lot or end up just wanting a nice fresh OS every couple months lol.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, AGP_47 said:

Was wondering what is the longest you guys have stayed with your operating systems without the need of formatting it.

Every six months...  Like clockwork.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Probably two years.

The most recent run I tried was my laptop, it made it a year and a half without me having to reinstall Windows, despite changing the OS drive about 4 times. It shit itself back in December so I had to do a fresh install. 

Ideally I'd love to reinstall Windows every 6 months, however due to my crippling internet speeds, I drag out my install for 1-2 years because I'm afraid that any backups I make will corrupt, namely Steam game backups.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.