GTX 1080 Gigabyte G1 Gaming or EVGA FTW

bruno88fuza

I know they pretty much have the same performance. But is there anything at all that makes one better than the other? (I need to choose one for the build i am planning)

EVGA has better customer service. IMO their cooler is better but a lot of people will disagree on that. But pretty much Customer Service is the only difference. If you do get the EVGA one wait for their new ICX Cooler versions to be released if you can. And make sure you don't get one of the cards that had the bad VRMs going on. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

The evga is better gigabyte kindo of messed up the coolers and vrms

My life

Can you post links to the exact cards?  If you get an EVGA card, I would opt for the new ones with new coolers with the proper thermal pads on the VRMs.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

4 minutes ago, Hip said:

There are different FTW versions.

I was thinking about this one: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

The evga is better gigabyte kindo of messed up the coolers and vrms

EVGA just went through the whole fiasco of their FTW 1080s catching fire due to not applying thermal pads to the VRMs causing them to have to swap out cards for free and offer free fixes to everyone who purchased a 1070 and 1080.  EVGA is a good company and stood behind their products, but I would still make sure whatever card I get from EVGA has the fix applied.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

5 minutes ago, Ensho said:

Can you post links to the exact cards?  If you get an EVGA card, I would opt for the new ones with new coolers with the proper thermal pads on the VRMs.

EVGA: http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6286-KR

Gugabyte: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5915#kf

How do i know if it has the fix applied?

11 minutes ago, bruno88fuza said:

I was thinking about this one: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 

If you are building your comp in the near future and can wait a little while, EVGA just updated their line up with the new iCX cooler.

1 minute ago, bruno88fuza said:

EVGA has good customer service...so if you are buying directly from them...just ask.

4 minutes ago, Ensho said:

EVGA just went through the whole fiasco of their FTW 1080s catching fire due to not applying thermal pads to the VRMs causing them to have to swap out cards for free and offer free fixes to everyone who purchased a 1070 and 1080.  EVGA is a good company and stood behind their products, but I would still make sure whatever card I get from EVGA has the fix applied.

Well...the VRMs only got so hot while being stressed by furmark so you know, normal gaming load=the VRMs will be fine :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well...the VRMs only got so hot while being stressed by furmark so you know, normal gaming load=the VRMs will be fine :) 

That is true, but if I am spending $600+ on a GPU...you best bet I want to make sure that no cheap compromises were made when making the card.

Temps dropped over 20 degrees in the VRMs with new coolers.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Idk about you but I'd rather not have to worry about my card breaking because it got stressed tested.

15 minutes ago, Ensho said:

EVGA has good customer service...so if you are buying directly from them...just ask.

What is different about that ICX cooler that EVGA is releasing?  Is it better than ACX?

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Idk about you but I'd rather not have to worry about my card breaking because it got stressed tested.

Well ya know, furmark is literally the last program you should be using with your GPU anyway...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well ya know, furmark is literally the last program you should be using with your GPU anyway...

Well ya know, if you are spending $600 on a GPU...who cares about how well it is built and how well the manufacturer paid attention to detail and how long it will last.

EVGA cards are fine...I'd just make sure if I was buying an ACX cooler version that the VRM thermal pads were installed to ensure they are not getting unnecessarily hot, which depending on circumstance could affect the lifespan of the card.

Australia - Never had an issue with Gigabyte-AU, they've replaced cards in due time (4 weeks) and even upgraded me to a 290x when last 290 died.

Admittedly, the hit or miss nature of Gigabyte quality is real...(in some card series, the 290, it's best Not-GB) (4x 290's all had power profile (volts vs clocks) issues and died (tested on multiple machines), they sent me another which didn't even work out of the box on 4 machines, I was pissed, so they sent me a 290x, while hot, it worked fine)

Now I have a GTX970 (Gigabyte G1) and I have no issues with this board either, however, I wouldn't have an issue personally dealing with them, they have been pleasant to me, paid for the courier and took care of everything quickly with my 290's dilemma.

#Straya

Can't speak for other depts in other countries...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 hours ago, Ensho said:

Agreed, wait for the FTW2 with the new iCX coolers...

2 hours ago, bruno88fuza said:

Most cards on the shelves now already are fixed (new of course) or wait for the iCX ones and don't fret ;)

2 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

Huge fan of my EVGA FTW Hybrid if that matters at all.

Same here :) Wouldn't mind if they had an EK option ;)

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What is different about that ICX cooler that EVGA is releasing?  Is it better than ACX?

In not too many words... yes. 

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/