i7 6700K cores too cold?? Is this normal?

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

You just love cooking silicon.  I'm started to get concerned about you.

Yeah. I got Lays to 90C on his custom loop with my 48k FFT shenanigans. Now he's repasting as we speak, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Yeah. I got Lays to 90C on his custom loop with my 48k FFT shenanigans. Now he's repasting as we speak, lol. 

That is like take 3 or 4 for him on the TIM.  Too funny.  You're going to drive him mad.

As mentioned before, this could all be solved if we knew your ambient room temps. 

What is the temperature in your room?

If it's less than whatever the cpu is running at then you're fine and those temps are most likely real. Also, if it's that cold you should probably put a jacket on.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

My favorite thing about LTT.  Everyone's willingness to provide all the information that doesn't matter, but can't give the one thing that does.  xD

So much so this. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, Masada02 said:

As mentioned before, this could all be solved if we knew your ambient room temps. 

If it's less than whatever the cpu is running at then you're fine and those temps are most likely real. Also, if it's that cold you should probably put a jacket on.

OP hasn't responded in awhile, he's probably busy. We should just wait. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

He answered that.  It's really cold.  Isn't that all that's needed?  

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Agreed. However, I don't think we should just assume that there's nothing wrong and it's a reading error. Better safe than sorry, right? 

I didn't assume anything.  Merely stated a fact about Intel idle temps and their accuracy. 

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That is like take 3 or 4 for him on the TIM.  Too funny.  You're going to drive him mad.

Oh, we are way beyond that point. He tried to make his ram stable. That alone was more than enough. RTL training, not even once. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

He answered that.  It's really cold.  Isn't that all that's needed?  

I'd be all bundled up at that point. Though really cold room temps bring out the best OC's :D 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

2 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

I'd be all bundled up at that point. Though really cold room temps bring out the best OC's :D 

Yes sir they do.  There'd be nothing nicer than starting at 10c.  Well, maybe -110c, but I'll leave that crap to @Lays who is apparently busy loosing his mind at the moment.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

If he has the fan cranked up, it might be.  I got my Haswell chip right above my room temperature.

No... 10 Degrees Celsius on one of the cores, his room is definitely not 8-9 Deg. Celsius warm, that would be abnormally cold. The load temperatures also seem a little low, if your max. temps indicated in the screen shot were the temps reached during the stress test. Even with your big cooler on it...

@Angelo312

I'm still thinking that it's a calibration issue, and Motherboard BIOS update could fix this, however, that's definitely not guaranteed...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

4 minutes ago, steffen_anywhere said:

No... 10 Degrees Celsius on one of the cores, his room is definitely not 8-9 Deg. Celsius warm, that would be abnormally cold. The load temperatures also seem a little low, if your max. temps indicated in the screen shot were the temps reached during the stress test. Even with your big cooler on it...

Fans as in CPU and case fans.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Fans as in CPU and case fans.

Yes, that's what i meant as well. Even with the fan on his Cryorig H5 cooler running at max, you won't achieve actual chip temps lower than ambient plus 1-3 celsius... heat transfer rate is dependent on the temperature differential between the heat source (CPU) and the coolant (ambient air).

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

My room temp is at 21ºc,  in the bios the motherboard temp is 20ºc and cpu 19ºc, always one less degree than the motherboard

6 minutes ago, steffen_anywhere said:

Yes, that's what i meant as well. Even with the fan on his Cryorig H5 cooler running at max, you won't achieve actual chip temps lower than ambient plus 1-3 celsius... heat transfer rate is dependent on the temperature differential between the heat source (CPU) and the coolant (ambient air).

And a negative difference means more heat is being pulled away than is at room temperature.

2 minutes ago, Angelo312 said:

My room temp is at 21ºc,  in the bios the motherboard temp is 20ºc and cpu 19ºc, always one less degree than the motherboard

BIOS is reading temps correctly so your chip is fine.

Try using https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php for monitoring temps along with everything else.

BIOS is reading temps correctly so your chip is fine.

Try using https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php for monitoring temps along with everything else.

He already did that

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

He already did that

Look closer bud.  That is different than what I recommended, but thanks for jumping all over that.

Look closer bud.  That is different than what I recommended, but thanks for jumping all over that.

My bad. I don't know what's wrong with me today (or most days). :$

My bad. I don't know what's wrong with me today (or most days). :$

No worries man.  We all do it!

Well, looks completely normal to me.  Congrats!

If the room is 21C, it shouldn't be going lower, right?

If the room is 21C, it shouldn't be going lower, right?

CPUs will report slightly lower then ambient temps when idle some times.  The closer it gets to idle, the less accurate that temp gets.  Now something like 10c lower than actual is not great so keep that in mind.  His BIOS is reporting correctly.  He's just having issues with some monitoring software.  You can manually offset temps within most software, but it isn't worth the trouble for a casual observer so to speak.

Bios temps, motherboard stayed at 22ºc all the time cpu was 23ºc and 24ºc

20170125_202503.jpg

1 minute ago, Angelo312 said:

Bios temps, motherboard stayed at 22ºc all the time cpu was 23ºc and 24ºc

You're good.  Enjoy your computer.