Can't boot to M.2 SSD

STRMfrmXMN
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
5 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

I think so. I don't actually have a AHCI version PCIe SSD to test it out. Make sure in your BIOS that you have Option ROM boot up enabled. I think the AHCI PCIe SSDs boot this way.

TL;DR I'm going to send it back. Long story short I can't get the adapter to fit in my new board and am a little tired of dealing with it. I'll just buy a SATA SSD. Thank you a ton for the help :)

Well I guess restart and see what happens! It looks good on my end.

Just remember, have your important data backed up before restarting. Also have the Windows Install media handy!

OK, so good news, no bad install on my SATA SSD. Bad news, because the install on the 960 EVO technically never completed because it wasn't a bootable device for my BIOS to recognize to finish the second half of installation, it just gives me an old legacy-style Windows Boot Manager window and tells me to basically just restart. Should I erase the stuff I've just done in EasyBCD and do the Samsung cloning operation so that the my 960 EVO has an identical install of Windows on it and redo all the stuff we just did in EasyBCD?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

OK, so good news, no bad install on my SATA SSD. Bad news, because the install on the 960 EVO technically never completed because it wasn't a bootable device for my BIOS to recognize to finish the second half of installation, it just gives me an old legacy-style Windows Boot Manager window and tells me to basically just restart. Should I erase the stuff I've just done in EasyBCD and do the Samsung cloning operation so that the my 960 EVO has an identical install of Windows on it and redo all the stuff we just did in EasyBCD?

Yes, that should work. Could you take a picture with your phone and post what you saw before trying that?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

6 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Yes, that should work. Could you take a picture with your phone and post what you saw before trying that?

Unfortunately probably too late now but 

UEZSDZ1.jpg

this is similar

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Unfortunately probably too late now but 

UEZSDZ1.jpg

this is similar

So, just a heads up, you should probably enable CSM/Compatibility boot mode in your BIOS.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

11 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

OK, so I did the cloning operation and the disk is recognized as "Disk 3" in Disk Management and EasyBCD doesn't allow this to be used as another boot option. The Windows Boot Manager comes up whenever I boot the system now and I have to tell it to boot to Windows 10 which is the only bootable option.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

OK, so I did the cloning operation and the disk is recognized as "Disk 3" in Disk Management and EasyBCD doesn't allow this to be used as another boot option. The Windows Boot Manager comes up whenever I boot the system now and I have to tell it to boot to Windows 10 which is the only bootable option.

Post a screenshot again of Disk Management and from EasyBCD

2 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Post a screenshot again of Disk Management and from EasyBCD

EasyBCD with the cloned drive as the second option. I selected drive F from the options it gave me but disk management sees no drive F.

EnoGqCF.png

qxZockJ.png

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

EasyBCD with the cloned drive as the second option. I selected drive F from the options it gave me but disk management sees no drive F.

EnoGqCF.png

qxZockJ.png

You have to assign a drive letter to the 232Gb Partition. You should be able to right click in Disk Management on that partition and assign a drive letter.

1 minute ago, ionbasa said:

You have to assign a drive letter to the 232Gb Partition. You should be able to right click in Disk Management on that partition and assign a drive letter.

Onlined the disk and now it's disk I. Will restart and see what happens.

4 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

bC28V4N.jpg

This came up when I tried to select the 960 EVO from the Windows Boot Manager dialog that popped up. 

17 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Think I'm going to call it a night for now. Thank you so much for all your help. If this whole ordeal doesn't work out then I'll send the drive back and end up buying another SATA SSD. :)

11 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

bC28V4N.jpg

This came up when I tried to select the 960 EVO from the Windows Boot Manager dialog that popped up. 

You may be out of luck. Since Windows is installed in EFI mode, it cant be chain loaded in a way that's easy to do. If it were installed in non-UEFI mode, then it may have been a possibility,

In your bios do you have CSM/Compatibility boot enabled? Enabling it might fix this or it may do nothing.

16 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

You may be out of luck. Since Windows is installed in EFI mode, it cant be chain loaded in a way that's easy to do. If it were installed in non-UEFI mode, then it may have been a possibility,

In your bios do you have CSM/Compatibility boot enabled? Enabling it might fix this or it may do nothing.

I can do a legacy install of Windows on my Arc 100 if that would make things work. I also have CSM enabled but it doesn't seem to effect things either way.

I'm gonna sleep but thank you tremendously for your help :)

51 minutes ago, WereCat said:

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html

Hopefully this is not against TOS with LTT but I think soemthing like this could work but I dont want to quote entire topic of another forum.

If there's a valid solution elsewhere, and it solves the problem, linking to it makes sense.  Better than copy pasting the content without credit xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I can do a legacy install of Windows on my Arc 100 if that would make things work. I also have CSM enabled but it doesn't seem to effect things either way.

I'm gonna sleep but thank you tremendously for your help :)

Windows needs to be installed in legacy mode for EasyBCD to work properly. This is on the SATA boot drive.

7 hours ago, WereCat said:

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html

Hopefully this is not against TOS with LTT but I think soemthing like this could work but I dont want to quote entire topic of another forum.

Would it work for a B85 motheboard or is it only for Z and high-end H-series chipsets?

2 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Windows needs to be installed in legacy mode for EasyBCD to work properly. This is on the SATA boot drive.

OK, although the more I think about this the more I'm considering returning the 960 EVO. I wanted to originally have the 960 EVO for Windows and the 120GB OCZ for OSX but with EasyBCD and the Legacy install of Windows 10 on the OCZ I feel like I'm asking for trouble with so many bootloaders. 

Thanks for your help, think I'm just going to return it if a BIOS hack doesn't work out (and I can do a BIOS hack on this board as I have a different B85 board coming in the mail soon that I plan on replacing this old board with and it has a dual BIOS anyways).

8 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Would it work for a B85 motheboard or is it only for Z and high-end H-series chipsets?

From how I understand from what they say it works on all chipsets 6-9 as the hardware support is there and it is just not built into BIOS and that's why you have to modify it. I recommend reading through comments if someone managed to make it work on non Z board. I am in work now so I can't do it :D

32 minutes ago, WereCat said:

From how I understand from what they say it works on all chipsets 6-9 as the hardware support is there and it is just not built into BIOS and that's why you have to modify it. I recommend reading through comments if someone managed to make it work on non Z board. I am in work now so I can't do it :D

One person managed to get it to work on a B85 Asus board but other people who asked about B85 boards didn't follow up so I don't know how it went.

10 hours ago, ionbasa said:

OK, so coming back to something: if I used an AHCI M.2 SSD (like an AHCI version of the SM951 or something like that) my adapter solution would work without issue, correct?

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

OK, so coming back to something: if I used an AHCI M.2 SSD (like an AHCI version of the SM951 or something like that) my adapter solution would work without issue, correct?

I think so. I don't actually have a AHCI version PCIe SSD to test it out. Make sure in your BIOS that you have Option ROM boot up enabled. I think the AHCI PCIe SSDs boot this way.

TL;DR I'm going to send it back. Long story short I can't get the adapter to fit in my new board and am a little tired of dealing with it. I'll just buy a SATA SSD. Thank you a ton for the help :)