4k HDR tv colour calibration

Lee117five0

So I've bought a Samsung UHDtv and an Xbox One S so I can play 4k blu-rays. It's really impressive compared to standard blu-rays and especially compared with Netflix/Prime.

I just want to know I'm getting the best performance out of my tv colour-wise. Out of the box it was shockingly poor. I've tweaked it as best as I can and it's a lot better but I'm no pro. I watched the latest LTT video about colour correction and they mentioned hardware colourimeters. Can any of you guys suggest one that would work on a HDR tv?

Cheers

11 minutes ago, Lee117five0 said:

So I've bought a Samsung UHDtv and an Xbox One S so I can play 4k blu-rays. It's really impressive compared to standard blu-rays and especially compared with Netflix/Prime.

I just want to know I'm getting the best performance out of my tv colour-wise. Out of the box it was shockingly poor. I've tweaked it as best as I can and it's a lot better but I'm no pro. I watched the latest LTT video about colour correction and they mentioned hardware colourimeters. Can any of you guys suggest one that would work on a HDR tv?

Cheers

There aren't any standards for HDR  calibration. Visual trial and error is the best you can do right now.

Just now, JohnT said:

There aren't any standards for HDR  calibration. Visual trial and error is the best you can do right now.

:( No problem. Thanks for the info!

There is a standard for calibrating HDR color wise. It needs to adhere to the BT.2020 color standard.

It's not for HDR, but here's an example of a reviewer checking how accurate a display's color is: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11050/the-microsoft-surface-studio-review/5

Calman, a PC with HDR compatible HDMI and a quality colorimeter should do the job.