a good upgrade from GTX 280?"

Techno_Reverend

I have a GTX 280 that was given to me and recently upgraded my screen to a 4K monitor, i just play simple games on it but can't play anything else on it at native resolution.

I have a Seasonic 620w PSU, a Core i7 930, and 12GB DDR3.

6900k. 64GB DDR4 3200. ASUS Rampage V Edition TEN. GTX TITAN X Pascal SLi.  

Rx 480/gtx 1060

What is your budget?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

What is your budget?

I can spend anything really but i don't want to be paying stupid amounts for no reason.

Around 10k maximum, i'm really far out of the loop with PC's.

3 minutes ago, Techno_Reverend said:

I can spend anything really but i don't want to be paying stupid amounts for no reason.

Around 10k maximum, i'm really far out of the loop with PC's.

10K USD? You can buy anything for that price, you could just build a PC instead. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

12 minutes ago, Techno_Reverend said:

I have a GTX 280 that was given to me and recently upgraded my screen to a 4K monitor, i just play simple games on it but can't play anything else on it at native resolution.

what are you doing with the old 280?

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

18 minutes ago, Techno_Reverend said:

10k? Buy a 1080. If you wanna brag buy a Titan.

5 minutes ago, grayblizzard said:

what are you doing with the old 280?

It replaced my GTX 295 that died 7 months back, i barely used the computer because i was in Germany for 4 years.

Now i am back home in England.

10K GBP, and yeah if that can build me a new computer that's great, need to be able to game at 4K really, the 280 struggles even showing 4K alone let alone playing, i ran the screen at lower than native even in desktop.

hell 10k, you can build a pc for you, your mom, your dad, your dog, your cat, your red fish, and you would still have enought money for 4 decent pcs that will kick the heck out of a gtx280 gpu. and that's including monitor and peripherals.

I have an FX 4300 machine I sell you for $8,000 ?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Is the AMD FX cpu a good upgrade? it has 8 cores and it's really cheap?

seeing resources are pretty "unlimited" for you, i'll ask something else:

what's the timeframe you expect to use this computer in? will you use it for a few months before another "long term out of the loop" comes up, or a year, or a few years?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

seeing resources are pretty "unlimited" for you, i'll ask something else:

what's the timeframe you expect to use this computer in? will you use it for a few months before another "long term out of the loop" comes up, or a year, or a few years?

I'm home for good now, i will spend much much more time with it mostly for my hobby for games and maybe some work. I got a lot of catching up to do with my hobby obviously.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.75 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($66.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($96.99 @ Jet) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($134.00 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($589.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME 750W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($90.72 @ B&H) 
Total: $1788.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-15 20:30 EST-0500

so.. this one is gonna need some explanation, and probably some refining.

i've essentially thrown all of this forum's "bang for buck"-ness out the window and focussed on what you called "catching up with your hobby".

- the cpu is essentially the latest and greatest, when not going enthousiast, workstation, or server grade.

- the mobo is a long time default, MSI's pc mate line of motherboards is pretty much a "you know what you're gonna get" on each new intel iteration, providing pretty much all you need without going "wow i just spent the price of a console on a motherboard that literally has no extra functionality."

- the CPU cooler was mostly a pick based on ease of installation, if you want to get a cpu cooler that doesnt make you want to become a fair trade bio vegetable farmer, get noctua. (yes, i know the fans are hideous, wait until you see them in person. but wait until you hear them, or rather dont hear them, before making a judgement.)

- memory was another rather fast pick, essentially ram is ram, it doesnt really matter what you get, but low profile memory can be a freaking godsend when you're a scatterbrain while building your PC, and vengeance LPX modules actually look pretty nice.

- the storage was another rather fast pick: sandisk ultra II has been a very reliable choice for me, and you have the budget for going big, so go big.

- with that also offcourse comes a 3TB hard drive, to store ALL the things, i have two of these very drives in my server, and they're astonashingly quiet for the size, and speed. (my server is in my bedroom, every night at midnight the hard drives process ALL their data for backup, i've never once heard it happen.) every time i recommend one of these, i'm tempted to pick one up to finally put my WD black on the shelf :P

- the GPU is another default of mine, i have no attachment to EVGA at all, but with your budget, go GTX1080, ignoring the titan XP it's the fastest single GPU out there, and the titan XP only exists with the rather noisy "reference/founders edition" cooler, i decided specificly on the EVGA one because i prefer their cooler design this iteration of GPUs :P

- define R5 is a similar story to the cpu cooler, it's just fun to work in/on/at. the insides are pretty much perfectly thought out, the exterior is essentially as plain as you can go before looking boring, and the airflow in this thing is truly amazing.

- the power supply.. is overkill. it's WAY overkill. but that thing is essentially the "greatest" of the best power supply manufacturer out there. mount that thing fan side up in your case, click the button on the back to fanless mode, and enjoy the quietness. i'd have recommended something corsair here instead, but the modular plug on my 24 pin SERIOUSLY bugs me every time i clean out my rig :P

- and offcourse, at the bottom of this list we have the ever present windows 10.

2 hours ago, asand1 said:

I have an FX 4300 machine I sell you for $8,000 ?

No, I was just having fun. The FX 4300 is a POS (I do have one). You could build an awesome machine with a tenth of your budget.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Every time I see an i7 9xx I immediately think Xeon X56xx. But you can afford not to mess with that stuff. When you do upgrade, please put that motherboard in the classifieds here.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

the GTX 280 have 240 cores (so low) and use 240w

so you have the PSU power for any new card (yay) ^_^

- - - - 

so i will say a RX 470 or a GTX 1060

(it be like x4 your actual gpu performance)

or a RX 460 or a GTX 750

(x2 your actual performance)

- - - - 

4k gaming = 8GB cards = RX 480 8GB or GTX 1080 8GB or the new "Vega" :)