Steam Machines Pictured

wansie

Looks really cool, but one thing that bothers me is why The Verge gets access to the hardware...

I mean they're a bunch of biased a**holes so all they would do in a review is b*tch about it and say it's not as good as the XBox One. I think AnandTech Or someone more PC oriented should have been the first one with the scoop. Just my $.02

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Well considering that Steam are not a hardware company they have done a much better job than Sony or Microsoft which have been a hardware company for a while know. Steam managed to fit a 780 into a form factor that is as small as the PS4. That is some achievement. Sony and Microsoft should be put to shame.

Was it form factor limitations or the need to hit a particular price point? Which dictated the console GPUs...

In valve's case these steam machines are actually PCs and there will be different models available for different budgets so they can afford to indulge.

Well considering that Steam are not a hardware company they have done a much better job than Sony or Microsoft which have been a hardware company for a while know. Steam managed to fit a 780 into a form factor that is as small as the PS4. That is some achievement. Sony and Microsoft should be put to shame.

To be fair, the likely reason as to why a 780 is not in the ps4 is because of cost constraints more than anything. There is probably a lot of work that goes into designing the consoles to get the most performance out of a certain budget constraint. For the steam machine, a retail version of what was shown off would likely be sold for around $1000 at least.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

I really think this could be big for PC gaming. But still I don't see me buying one... what do you think ?

it's not meant for people like us. I wouldn't buy one either. But The idea is to destroy the artificial segregation which exists right now where consoles=living room and pc=bedroom. This can appeal to living room gamers who find pc gaming too daunting to get into.

really want to get my hands on a steam controller. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Really hoping valve sell's the chassis by itself. 

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

if they want console gamers they are going to have to make this cheaper

these are PCs which will come in various specs to hit various price points for people with different budgets. What you are looking at is simply valve's prototype. Eventually it won't be valve selling these but various other vendors. I wish the media would stop referring to these as consoles it's confusing many people. Clearly they are made from off the shelf pc parts and will work as PCs.

Okay It looks nice but wheres the power cables??

Ehh... On the back?

if they want console gamers they are going to have to make this cheaper

We don't even know the price (of the Value version, let alone all the other versions from other brands) and you are already saying they should make it cheaper? Besides, in this scenario you do get what you pay for. The Steam Machine is probably more than twice as powerful as the Xbone.

Hope I get into the beta testing so I get one for free.

Ehh... On the back?

We don't even know the price (of the Value version, let alone all the other versions from other brands) and you are already saying they should make it cheaper? Besides, in this scenario you do get what you pay for. The Steam Machine is probably more than twice as powerful as the Xbone.

Hope I get into the beta testing so I get one for free.

The motherboard and gpu do not have power cables connected to them...

I didnt mean where do you plug the cables in...

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

My first reaction to this is the same as I had for the xbox one. Can i just have the case? Looking good valve!

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Config of this machine:

GPU:       GTX780

mobo:     Asrock Z87E-ITX

CPU:       Intel I7

Storage:  2.5" HDD

Reactions:

+Bring console gamers to PC

Too expensive for bringing console gamers into PC gaming IMO.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I hope the temps are as hot as the reference R9 290x...

I'm a red Grinch, hehe

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

STEAM_M_console__hero.jpg

Lawd that looks so elegant and clean.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

So many silly things, such as an Asrock mobo... Laptop HDD (probs 5400rpm) and i doubt that 780 gets enough air.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

To be fair, the likely reason as to why a 780 is not in the ps4 is because of cost constraints more than anything. There is probably a lot of work that goes into designing the consoles to get the most performance out of a certain budget constraint. For the steam machine, a retail version of what was shown off would likely be sold for around $1000 at least.

People can afford to buy a £600 smartphone. I don't see why they can't afford a £1000 PC which does a whole lot more than a smartphone can.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Was it form factor limitations or the need to hit a particular price point? Which dictated the console GPUs...

In valve's case these steam machines are actually PCs and there will be different models available for different budgets so they can afford to indulge.

The next gen consoles are POC's. There is no difference other then the software. I wander if you could Wipe the HDD on the PS4 and run Windows on it. I am guessing you could. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Oh come on, the PS4 looks kinda good. Not as good as this, but it's not bad. The Xbox One though is a massive VCR player though :/

The PS4 looks much better than the XBone but it doesn't as nice as the Steam Machine. It is my opinion though. I am the sort of person that likes the look of Lian Li cases.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

People can afford to buy a £600 smartphone. I don't see why they can't afford a £1000 PC which does a whole lot more than a smartphone can.

With a 2 year contract and (as with me) buy 1 get 1 free deals.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

The PS4 looks much better than the XBone but it doesn't as nice as the Steam Machine. It is my opinion though. I am the sort of person that likes the look of Lian Li cases.

I like things that are slightly off in design but still elegant.

So many silly things, such as an Asrock mobo... Laptop HDD (probs 5400rpm) and i doubt that 780 gets enough air.

That is not a 5400 rpm hard drive it is a 1TB 7200RPM Seagate SSHD with 8GB of SSD cache.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHZ, Intel DX58SO, EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 TI, 12 GB corsair vengeance 1600MHz, 120 GB Intel 520,