AMD Mantle Graphics API Adopted by Various Developers

TOMPPIX

AMD did not hype anything up, they didn't even claim any specific performance numbers, today's announcement was just about more partnerships.

ya tbh AMD hasn't really overhyped mantle. It's just that the press which went to the Hawaii launch latched onto the mantle announcement and made it a huge deal.

I think mantle is going to have to show something like 20% minimum raw performance benefit over OpenGL and directX. It's a big ask but developers have to be justified in spending more man hours coding for this API. If it's just 10% boost then probably those resources are best spent elsewhere.

Watch people with AMD cards benefitting from Mantle for half a year before Maxwell is released :)

... in only one game.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

... in only one game.

Pirate Islands will crush Maxwell anyway without even using Mantle.

Nvidia can't implement GPU context switch on Maxwell on laptops or desktops because they lack x86, AMD however will do just that with Pirate Islands because they do have x86.

Mantle is such a polarizing topic of discussion and because it's so polarizing fan-bias is highly prevalent, this creates an environment where misinformation spreads quickly and perception becomes fragile.

People who have been buying Nvidia products for the past... I don't know eight years, have made purchasing decisions that were largely influenced by the exclusive Nvidia features so for those people they are used to a brand that offered them most of the features they wanted that is until AMD announced Mantle, now there is a feature they want but can't have.

On the other hand, people who have been buying AMD products have been largely agnostic to features and believed performance/$ is king, to those people Mantle is the icing on the cake because it adds even more performance/$.

Your decisions have consequences, you can't rely anymore on one brand to give you everything you want, you actually have to make a real decision now, instead of paying a premium to forget about it.

This is the most ignorant bs i've ever read. People pulling the fanboy card every chance they get is getting so old. So many things wrong with this ? People who buy nvidia cant think on their own? Dont care about performance? or value ? What nvidia features ? Phsyx... useless.  I dont know about the rest of yall , but i've owned far more ati cards than nvidia, and far more amd chips than intel, yet i'm now an intel/nvidia zombie because i'm currently using them in ONE of my systems. I also have an AMD system with AMD cards but i guess that doesnt matter. Lastly, who ever said i wanted a mantle like feature from NVIDIA.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

This is the most ignorant bs i've ever read. People pulling the fanboy card every chance they get is getting so old. So many things wrong with this ? People who buy nvidia cant think on their own? Dont care about performance? or value ? What nvidia features ? Phsyx... useless.  I dont know about the rest of yall , but i've owned far more ati cards than nvidia, and far more amd chips than intel, yet i'm now an intel/nvidia zombie because i'm currently using them in ONE of my systems. I also have an AMD system with AMD cards but i guess that doesnt matter. Lastly, who ever said i wanted a mantle like feature from NVIDIA.

You have TItan SLI, so you obviously don't care about value or performance/$, my statement is accurate.

You have TItan SLI, so you obviously don't care about value or performance/$, my statement is accurate.

what if he uses it for GPU acceleration for compute intensive applications? The price to performance compared to quadro is through the roof!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I also have 3 monitors, should i redistribute my wealth to appease you.

But seriously, we're both pc gamers, same team man. Lets blame console gamers instead, much easier argument.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

... in only one game.

You read the article in the OP, right?

Frostbite3 and CryEngine games support Mantle. Eidos titles will support Mantle. Activision will (begrudgingly) support Mantle. Ubisoft is considering it. That's how many, 15-20 games at least?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

What teams ?! I don't acknowledge such nonsense, there are people who think of this as a match between two teams and love taking sides, there others who just acknowledge the existence of products and compare them empirically, no PR bull just facts.

The fanboys always argue about the PR and ignore the facts.

Benchmarks or it didn't happen. 'Nough said about Mantle. Good they got a few more partners though.

This is really just corporate talk until we see real world performance numbers. I don't give a damn that they say it's faster than anything else, for all we know you can get a single frame more using Mantle than DirectX. However, if it is as good as they're hyping it up to be, well that's just awesome.

And additional frame per second would be a lot...

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

And additional frame per second would be a lot...

For graphs, when they say "OH WE GET 10% MORE FRAMES!" Goes from 9 fps to 10 fps, was actually because of *slightly* faster memory.

For graphs, when they say "OH WE GET 10% MORE FRAMES!" Goes from 9 fps to 10 fps, was actually because of *slightly* faster memory.

Oh I thought you meant 1 frame more per second :P sicne you didn't specify and 10% is actually a lot... well according to Intel anyway xD 3770k vs 4770k

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Oh I thought you meant 1 frame more per second :P sicne you didn't specify and 10% is actually a lot... well according to Intel anyway xD 3770k vs 4770k

No I seriously meant 1 frame per second, which is if you're comparing 9 fps to 10 fps, that's like a 10% increase? Great for marketing, sucks in real world :P 119 compared to 120 isn't that much of a difference.

I don't buy any of this Mantle stuff until I see concrete evidence of it improving performance. 2 of the 3 big game dev guys in the video Linus did a few weeks ago said that Mantle is nice, but unnecessary, and that they already had plenty of platforms to code for. They say, and I much agree, that G-sync will make a much bigger difference than Mantle will. The whole point here is getting more frames and making the gamers' expel more fluid, and G-sync will do a better job at all levels.

BENCHMARKS!

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

YES, FUCKING, YES!

Star Citizen will have Mantle support!

Now I'll be able to squeeze every ounce of power out of my (soon to be) dual 7950s to maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeee max out or get close to maxed out graphics at 1080p. I can dream, right?

:P

COMIC SANS

Now I'll be able to squeeze every ounce of power out of my (soon to be) dual 7950s to maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeee max out or get close to maxed out graphics at 1080p. I can dream, right?

:P

Well, HOPEFULLY! I'm using a 7950 as well :P

Gotta wait a week to see what Mantle is capable of :/  Here's to hoping it doesn't disappoint!

Watch people with AMD cards benefitting from Mantle for half a year before Maxwell is released :)

watch people with Nv cards benefitting from dat ARM core without the developers having to specially code to benefit from it :)

p.s. I really want red side to do well atm but that on-die ARM core is just soo cool & applicable

It will also support PhysX.

snore

Praise Duarte!

i hope nvidia would license Gsync to AMD

PLEASE !!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Well, HOPEFULLY! I'm using a 7950 as well :P

Gotta wait a week to see what Mantle is capable of :/  Here's to hoping it doesn't disappoint!

a week?

a week for what ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i hope nvidia would license Gsync to AMD

PLEASE !!!

It may happen at some point but I don't think it's likely to happen at all actually.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

a week?

a week for what ?

AMD is supposed to showcase MANTLE in an upcoming event.

Hail Sithis!