how long will my build be future proof

Go to solution Solved by Matias_Chambers,
Just now, orangebeaver45 said:

I plan to play/render/stream at 1080p

You should be good for many years then. 

Hello everyone (I don't want to flaunt my build that I'm getting) ,but I want a rough guesstimate of how long It will last me and I don't plan on overclocking and the build is meant for streaming games and heavy video rendering and the reason I have picked the processor is because I have it already. With out further ado here the list of specs:

CPU 4790k

COOLER CORSAIR H75 with primochill green anti kink coils 

MOBO GIGABYTE  LGA 1150 B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 DDR3 Motherboards (GA-B85M-DS3H-A) (I wanted something cheap that has the few features I wanted and don't roast me about the audio ports I'll get a e10k dac)

MEMORY 32gb of crucial ballistix sport 

GPU GTX 1080

PSU EVGA G3 650 paired with green thermaltake cable extensions (as you can probably tell the build is green and black)

STORAGE ADATA 240GB SSD and 1TB SEGATE HDD

CASE CORSAIR AIR 240 

The 1080 will be good for quite a while. 4790k is still a super valid CPU since Intel's desktop flagship processors have only had marginal performance boosts 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

trying to put a number of futureproofness years would be a plain lie since innovation in CPU and GPU tech is always changing. However, if you are trying to build a PC that can last for the most time before you have to change anything, that would be it.

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

Why are you getting Haswell? There's no point unless it's 100$ cheaper or something. And why B motherboard with K CPU? 

6 minutes ago, orangebeaver45 said:

Hello everyone (I don't want to flaunt my build that I'm getting) ,but I want a rough guesstimate of how long It will last me and I don't plan on overclocking and the build is meant for streaming games and heavy video rendering and the reason I have picked the processor is because I have it already. With out further ado here the list of specs:

CPU 4790k

COOLER CORSAIR H75 with primochill green anti kink coils 

MOBO GIGABYTE  LGA 1150 B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 DDR3 Motherboards (GA-B85M-DS3H-A) (I wanted something cheap that has the few features I wanted and don't roast me about the audio ports I'll get a e10k dac)

MEMORY 32gb of crucial ballistix sport 

GPU GTX 1080

PSU EVGA G3 650 paired with green thermaltake cable extensions (as you can probably tell the build is green and black)

STORAGE ADATA 240GB SSD and 1TB SEGATE HDD

CASE CORSAIR AIR 240 

There's technically no such thing as future proof but to answer the question, it depends what resolution you play at.
If 1440p, could last you 5+ years easily.
If 4k, you'd already be struggling to get 60fps on all games but with reduced settings can do it no prob.
Just to note though, as 4k becomes more popular, the games will also get more demanding (Same as the power of a gtx 1050 being enough for 1080p ULTRA gaming 4-5 years ago as was with my r9 6970.

The TLDR here is if you're willing to sacrifice settings bit by bit over the next 4-5 years, you could even play 4k for like 5years+

You can technically play 1080p games very comfortably on low settings with the likes of a gtx 550ti.

Also, don't get the 4790k unless it's a lot cheaper than a 6700k (I think they're within about $10-15 of eachother so not worth it)
I know you want that instead of 4790 with B motherboard for faster clocks even without OC so won't question that.

Maybe save yourself some money on the ram (you only need 8gb but for a build like this I'd go with 16GB)
Then get yourself a Z motherboard + Coolermaster Hyper 212.

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

Why are you getting Haswell? There's no point unless it's 100$ cheaper or something. And why B motherboard with K CPU? 

if you read the start of the paragraph I said that I all ready have the 4790k and pls point me towards a 60 dollar z97 micro atx

It depends on how you play. Are you willing to turn graphical settings down in the future? That could allow you to squeak out another few years past when the hardware is outdated. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew Sh said:

There's technically no such thing as future proof but to answer the question, it depends what resolution you play at.
If 1440p, could last you 5+ years easily.
If 4k, you'd already be struggling to get 60fps on all games but with reduced settings can do it no prob.
Just to note though, as 4k becomes more popular, the games will also get more demanding (Same as the power of a gtx 1050 being enough for 1080p ULTRA gaming 4-5 years ago as was with my r9 6970.

The TLDR here is if you're willing to sacrifice settings bit by bit over the next 4-5 years, you could even play 4k for like 5years+

You can technically play 1080p games very comfortably on low settings with the likes of a gtx 550ti.

Just now, orangebeaver45 said:

You should be good for many years then. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

It depends on how you play. Are you willing to turn graphical settings down in the future? That could allow you to squeak out another few years past when the hardware is outdated. 

I mainly play csgo and gta5 and other games games that I try out and then decide to buy

3 minutes ago, orangebeaver45 said:

Then you will be fine for pretty much ever :D

gtx 1080 is an overkill monster at 1080p.
Get a 1070 and save some money.
Also drop the 32gb ram to 16

make sure to keep an i7 (maybe switch to 6700k) because it'll help with streaming/rendering

in case anyone says that its too much remember that there is a term called "enthusiast grade"