Nokia 6, Nokia's first Android smartphone, made official

Nowak

I still think that Windows Phone is the best OS for smartphones, the only thing that went wrong was most developers ignoring its existence and favouring the mainstream with android and ios which I personally don't like.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

I hope they did a lot of optimizing. Android can pretty easily run away and go ham on the battery.

(yes, I am about to go on a rant...)

Hey, you know which company "fucked up" another company's work where they were basically "forced" to remove most of the optimisation and customisation of power management they did on android?

Long version:

Spoiler

A new thing of android 6.0 was how google built-in power saving and management features within the OS itself but this brutally fucked up a company where a selling feature they had was their in-house optimisation and power saving features. Apparently the new power saving and management features of android 6.0 had brought new terms and conditions where phone manufacturers can't mess around with power settings thus the phone manufacturer had to completely remove the power saving feature they integrated into android 4.X and 5.X where the impact of battery life and general usage of the phones were substantial. 

I own a Z3C and well running 4.4 and 5.X allowed my phone to last 2 days easily with 10-15% left at the end of the second day (meaning 3 days was possible if I used my phone minimally) with stamina mode set as from 100% battery life, I'd allow no data transmission while the device is locked (so this includes turning the screen on to check the time, data transmission is still not allowed) and limit CPU performance to save battery life where once I hit 20% battery life left, I'd allow stamina mode to turn more things off like BT, mobile data and things like turning the brightness down to as low as possible. This didn't hinder usage of my phone (unless you call being spammed by 20 emails every time I unlocked my device a hindrance) and since it allowed me to charge my phone less, it was good but now, Sony could only rebrand what google has done to android 6.0 so it's either everything on or everything off with no in between meaning it's either 2 days battery life and a terrible experience or a good experience with less than 14 hours of battery life...

TL;DR Google's Doze and power saving features in android 6.0 apparently introduced new terms and conditions thus effectively forced Sony to remove the best known feature of their phones (stamina mode) else they would have breached the new terms and conditions and although they did introduce it back into android 6.0.1, it's just a rebrand of what google integrated meaning it's useless.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

If this phone had at least IP-67/68 and MIL-STD-810G shock resistance and they later launched a flagship with ballistic shock and explosive atmosphere resistance (to keep the Note 7's away) xD, it would definetly be something special...

Groomlake Authority

9 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

If this phone had at least IP-67/68 and MIL-STD-810G shock resistance and they later launched a flagship with ballistic shock and explosive atmosphere resistance (to keep the Note 7's away) xD, it would definetly be something special...

Maybe one of their later phones will feature those.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

-snip-

Nokia has a durability reputation they can and should claim back :D.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Most of their engineers went to Microsoft... which then fired them because Nadella hated the Nokia deal, so now they work for HMD Global, which designs phones on behalf of Nokia. Maybe HMD/Nokia's new phones will be able to keep up this record, since it's Nokia's original phone team.

33 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

(yes, I am about to go on a rant...)

Hey, you know which company "fucked up" another company's work where they were basically "forced" to remove most of the optimisation and customisation of power management they did on android?

Long version:

Reveal hidden contents

A new thing of android 6.0 was how google built-in power saving and management features within the OS itself but this brutally fucked up a company where a selling feature they had was their in-house optimisation and power saving features. Apparently the new power saving and management features of android 6.0 had brought new terms and conditions where phone manufacturers can't mess around with power settings thus the phone manufacturer had to completely remove the power saving feature they integrated into android 4.X and 5.X where the impact of battery life and general usage of the phones were substantial. 

I own a Z3C and well running 4.4 and 5.X allowed my phone to last 2 days easily with 10-15% left at the end of the second day (meaning 3 days was possible if I used my phone minimally) with stamina mode set as from 100% battery life, I'd allow no data transmission while the device is locked (so this includes turning the screen on to check the time, data transmission is still not allowed) and limit CPU performance to save battery life where once I hit 20% battery life left, I'd allow stamina mode to turn more things off like BT, mobile data and things like turning the brightness down to as low as possible. This didn't hinder usage of my phone (unless you call being spammed by 20 emails every time I unlocked my device a hindrance) and since it allowed me to charge my phone less, it was good but now, Sony could only rebrand what google has done to android 6.0 so it's either everything on or everything off with no in between meaning it's either 2 days battery life and a terrible experience or a good experience with less than 14 hours of battery life...

TL;DR Google's Doze and power saving features in android 6.0 apparently introduced new terms and conditions thus effectively forced Sony to remove the best known feature of their phones (stamina mode) else they would have breached the new terms and conditions and although they did introduce it back into android 6.0.1, it's just a rebrand of what google integrated meaning it's useless.

While I completely see your point, it's Google's right to change Android. After all, it is, technically, theirs. Doze is a huge improvement in battery management, and transformed the phone I used it on. Other companies had to change things as well, most notably Qualcomm and their quick charge. What did they do? Adapted, and carried on. Which is exactly what Sony should and likely will do.

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Keep in mind that reputation was gained before large touchscreens were common. It won't be nearly as easy to make their new phones as strong without losing something elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Daring said:

Most of their engineers went to Microsoft... which then fired them because Nadella hated the Nokia deal, so now they work for HMD Global, which designs phones on behalf of Nokia. Maybe HMD/Nokia's new phones will be able to keep up this record, since it's Nokia's original phone team.

Sort of true. HMD owns the rights to the Nokia name in terms of it's mobile presence. Nokia has members on the board, sets some standards to maintain the Nokia brand image, and receives royalties but other than that they have nothing to do with the mobile division.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Sort of true. HMD owns the rights to the Nokia name in terms of it's mobile presence. Nokia has members on the board, sets some standards to maintain the Nokia brand image, and receives royalties but other than that they have nothing to do with the mobile division.

HMD, to my knowledge, was founded by a group of ex-Nokia employees.

why does every flagship look the same , why do they all look like iphones now 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

why does every flagship look the same , why do they all look like iphones now 

This is not a flagship though..... It's a mid range phone.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is not a flagship though..... It's a mid range phone.

my point still stands , they all look the same 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

my point still stands , they all look the same 

Well at least my new phone has plastic on the back in addition to the metal and it's not afraid to show it :).

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

37 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well at least my new phone has plastic on the back in addition to the metal and it's not afraid to show it :).

mine has glass , so whatever i do , when i drop it its fucked 

PSU Tier list

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

While I completely see your point, it's Google's right to change Android. After all, it is, technically, theirs. Doze is a huge improvement in battery management, and transformed the phone I used it on. Other companies had to change things as well, most notably Qualcomm and their quick charge. What did they do? Adapted, and carried on. Which is exactly what Sony should and likely will do.

I think the biggest issue with google doze is how it requires the phone to be asleep for a good few mins before activating where as stamina mode activated after 60 seconds of putting your phone to sleep plus stamina mode heavily controlled what apps would be allowed to use resources and data while they are in the background where if you cleared an app from RAM/multitasking bar, stamina mode would effectively disable it from being able to use any resources at all which I forgot to say how screen time was reduced with 6.0 :P 

I realise that a lot more (and I really do mean many many many more) people has benefited with google doze as Sony actually doesn't really have a large market share in the phone business where google doze has benefited a manufacturer like Samsung who has over quadruple (it's more than just 4x) the market share of Sony so overall it's actually quite a good feature to be added to android but it's just pissed off a small portion of the android community. 

18 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

-snip-

I realise that a lot more (and I really do mean many many many more) people has benefited with google doze as Sony actually doesn't really have a large market share in the phone business where google doze has benefited a manufacturer like Samsung who has over quadruple (it's more than just 4x) the market share of Sony so overall it's actually quite a good feature to be added to android but it's just pissed off a small portion of the android community. 

I don't believe that's the case anymore. You keep quoting the 6.0 version, but Doze got an update with Nougat. In 6.0 the phone had to be stationary to be in Doze mode, whereas in 7.0 it could be on the go. Pretty big improvement. You can change the as that are affected by Doze in the settings.

Samsung also has a battery saving feature. Was that not affected as well? If not, then it really is just Sonys implementation, and they have got some work to do!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

A Snapdragon 430 for $250 seems a bit steep to me, especially if this is targeted towards the Chinese market. This is a market where phones with 652s and even 820s  (i.e.: LeEco, Xiaomi) can be had in the same price range. Kudos for the 4gb RAM, 64GB and expandable storage though.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't believe that's the case anymore. You keep quoting the 6.0 version, but Doze got an update with Nougat. In 6.0 the phone had to be stationary to be in Doze mode, whereas in 7.0 it could be on the go. Pretty big improvement. You can change the as that are affected by Doze in the settings.

*cough cough* 

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-7-0-snapdragon-800-801-712930/

Sony was actively developing Android 7.0 for the Xperia Z3. There was an Android N Developer Preview program for the Xperia Z3 that was updated right up to and including Developer Preview 4. Android 7.0 clearly runs fine on the Snapdragon 800/801, so there is no technical limitation from the processor side of things. But DP5 was never released. According to Sony, it was because of reasons “both technical and legal.”

Yes I understand the reasons why the S800/801 was excluded from 7.0 but for fuck sakes google...

14 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

*cough cough* 

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-7-0-snapdragon-800-801-712930/

Yes I understand the reasons why the S800/801 was excluded from 7.0 but for fuck sakes google...

....what's your point? That's quite outdated hardware.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

....what's your point? That's quite outdated hardware.

2 years and 4 months ago was when the Sony z3 and z3 compact were released

2 years and 8 months ago was when the Oneplus one was released

2 years and 9 months ago was when the LG G3 was released

2 years 10 months ago was when the Samsung Galaxy S5 was released

You're telling me sub 3 year old flagships should become obsolete in the sense that they'll not get anymore software (OS) updates? 

That's like saying Broadwell should not be supported in the newest windows 10 releases...

On 08/01/2017 at 7:40 PM, That Norwegian Guy said:

Another Android phone with deja vu specs.

This is why the smartphone market is such a dry subject

And when I say deja vu, I'm sure I've seen 11 phones with those exact specifications

Yup. My oneplus one is busy slowing dying, and I'm in search of a new phone. Everything is so darn bland and similar. Seems the real choice is brand,  and seeing which gives the best support, warranty, and software updates for longevity now. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Ah, I see that in the choice between the Samsung button placement and the smart button placement, they went with the correct choice :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, Daring said:

Samsung, HTC, Huawei and the rest did not "betray" Microsoft. They dropped it because nobody cares about Windows Phone and they thought it wasn't a good use of R&D to produce phones that nobody buys.

They bought Nokia's phone business because Nokia's phone business was unprofitable as a direct result of them adopting Windows Phone, which never became the smash hit that Microsoft was hoping it would be. Why should they continue supporting a business that's making them bleed money when the rest of their businesses are just fine? It'd just hold everyone else back.

They fired a lot of Nokia staff because Satya Nadella hated the Nokia deal.

Which clearly didn't work 9_9

I mean, this is a reality you and other Windows Phone fans around here are gonna have to face eventually. That nobody cares about Windows Phone. It launched with too little, too late, and a lack of apps + every Windows Phone 7 phone being literally the same aside from some minor design differences killed off any momentum the platform had before it even could take off. That, and the Apple/Google duopoly in the smartphone market was already too strong by 2010. Just look at BlackBerry. At this point, for everyone who isn't Apple it's adopt Android or die.

Well that's the beautiful thing about voting with your wallet. By buying an Android phone, you are showing that this duopoly is acceptable.

Also, why did you change the title back?

Are you just trying to piss me off or what?

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

2 years and 4 months ago was when the Sony z3 and z3 compact were released

2 years and 8 months ago was when the Oneplus one was released

2 years and 9 months ago was when the LG G3 was released

2 years 10 months ago was when the Samsung Galaxy S5 was released

You're telling me sub 3 year old flagships should become obsolete in the sense that they'll not get anymore software (OS) updates? 

That's like saying Broadwell should not be supported in the newest windows 10 releases...

In this case it was due to Google mandating a specific piece of functionality which only 64 Bit SOCs and the Snapdragon 805 could support.

But the principle and idea is still terrible.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, why did you change the title back?

Are you just trying to piss me off or what?

General consensus (including from a moderator) is that the title shouldn't be changed.