Gift Ideas as a Techie for Non-Techies

tomoki

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some gifts and not sure where to be posting this but as a techie, I'd like to gift non-techie co-workers some stuff cause I'm a newbie at the workplace. 

I'm thinking of getting macaroons for everyone just in general and on the side I need an explicit gift for my manager. I was thinking of the Azio MK Retro since we're always by our computers typing away and my manager is kinda hipster. What else could I be getting my manager or any other coworker? Any useful daily tech stuff? 

Food is good.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Your way over spending on gifts. $100 for that keyboard?! Your not the boss of that company. Just buy some candy or cookies and share that.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, ImperialSteele said:

Battery Banks are a nice cheap-mid range gift that almost everyone has a use for, and are dead easy to use.

Dammit I even have a battery bank for myself. I never actually thought of other people needing battery banks. Lemme see if I can spy and get integrated phone case battery banks with that or separate battery banks. I think the larger capacity battery banks are typically heavier cause of the amount of cells being jammed into the casing. Weight could be an issue. 

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Your way over spending on gifts. $100 for that keyboard?! Your not the boss of that company. Just buy some candy or cookies and share that.

Hahaha true. I really don't know what to gift them though. That's why I posted here! 

Also, I feel like I owe them a bit cause they did teach me quite a bit of stuff. 

3 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Dammit I even have a battery bank for myself. I never actually thought of other people needing battery banks. Lemme see if I can spy and get integrated phone case battery banks with that or separate battery banks. I think the larger capacity battery banks are typically heavier cause of the amount of cells being jammed into the casing. Weight could be an issue. 

Hahaha true. I really don't know what to gift them though. That's why I posted here! 

Also, I feel like I owe them a bit cause they did teach me quite a bit of stuff. 

They have to its call training. Your way overthinking about this gift stuff. Might as well give everyone a Apple watch.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

I wouldn't buy them cases, especially if they already have a case. As cool as those battery cases are, they're absolutely monstrous in size and don't feel very comfortable.

You could look into phone stands.  Shouldn't cost much and they are rather useful if you work at a desk.

giving out cookies at work is amazing, especially if they're home made ;)

that said, if you want to give something permanent, LED candles are a fun techy 4 no-techy gifts :P

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They have to its call training.

Yeah hmm.... I STILL FEEL BAD. It's a seasonal position but I'm being offered permanent and I'm being selected as probably the only one out of multiple people. I just thought maybe this might be a good thank you gift to my manager (the keyboard). 

1 minute ago, Finnman said:

You could look into phone stands.  Shouldn't cost much and they are rather useful if you work at a desk.

This sounds rather interesting too :)

Just now, manikyath said:

giving out cookies at work is amazing, especially if they're home made ;)

that said, if you want to give something permanent, LED candles are a fun techy 4 no-techy gifts :P

Whoa LED Candles? That's a thing for people? Never knew about that! I was thinking of tube clocks but those things are like.... what...decently 300 bucks? Yeah no hahaha 

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

Whoa LED Candles? That's a thing for people? Never knew about that! I was thinking of tube clocks but those things are like.... what...decently 300 bucks? Yeah no hahaha 

LED candles can be had pretty cheap, and it's something legitimately useful to have gifted to you.

it's one of those things you'd never buy for yourself, but you'll end up needing them, whip it out, and think of the person who gifted it.

22 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Yeah hmm.... I STILL FEEL BAD. It's a seasonal position but I'm being offered permanent and I'm being selected as probably the only one out of multiple people. I just thought maybe this might be a good thank you gift to my manager (the keyboard). 

How many people are you giving. No point on giving to those who didn't help you. Being offered is not the same as actually being in that position. Want to give them a thank you gift, then do so when your actually in that position they had offered. And just get something that won't break your wallet. If you were to get that keyboard and you work at amazon. You will be filling for chapter 11. :P

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

How about a greeting card that's pretty on the outside, but when you open it, it says "I'M NOT YOUR TECH SUPPORT BITCH!"

i tell them i bought you a lotto ticket; i already checked it for you and you lost

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

How many people are you giving. No point on giving to those who didn't help you. Being offered is not the same as actually being in that position. Want to give them a thank you gift, then do so when your actually in that position they had offered. And just get something that won't break your wallet. 

That's a great question. That's exactly why food in the first place haha so no jealousy hopefully. 

There's around 4 teams of people here. I am in a team of 9 people; 4 of which including me is seasonal but I'm, at the moment, the only one being changed into permanent. I'm fairly sure they'd be happy with whatever really cause it's considered "extra". I'd like to gift at least the core team here something extra. That's a total of 5 people. 

As for people who have actually helped me, 3 core team members of the 5 have helped me more than enough times and sometimes it's not just teaching sorta help... it's like actually helping me do something. 

For the remainder 3 teams of people in the office, they sit relatively close and we're all really tight knit already. I'd probably just gift 1 person of the 3 teams something extra and for the rest, same thing, FOOD! 

Just now, LordXenu said:

How about a greeting card that's pretty on the outside, but when you open it, it says "I'M NOT YOUR TECH SUPPORT BITCH!"

HAHAHAHA That's funny cause sadly I sorta have become that.

4 minutes ago, tomoki said:

That's a great question. That's exactly why food in the first place haha so no jealousy hopefully. 

There's around 4 teams of people here. I am in a team of 9 people; 4 of which including me is seasonal but I'm, at the moment, the only one being changed into permanent. I'm fairly sure they'd be happy with whatever really cause it's considered "extra". I'd like to gift at least the core team here something extra. That's a total of 5 people. 

As for people who have actually helped me, 3 core team members of the 5 have helped me more than enough times and sometimes it's not just teaching sorta help... it's like actually helping me do something. 

For the remainder 3 teams of people in the office, they sit relatively close and we're all really tight knit already. I'd probably just gift 1 person of the 3 teams something extra and for the rest, same thing, FOOD! 

HAHAHAHA That's funny cause sadly I sorta have become that.

Looks like food will be your best option. Open it up and let everyone dive in.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

25 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Looks like food will be your best option. Open it up and let everyone dive in.

Hahaha office desk job yet they just keep consuming xD I wonder where all that leads to! 

1 hour ago, tomoki said:

Hahaha office desk job yet they just keep consuming xD I wonder where all that leads to! 

If Gal Sone was your co-worker. You'll need 2 plates of food. One for you and the rest. The other only for her. :P

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I got a "non-techie" a 3D printing pen. It was cheap amazon one for my friend and he used it for about a month. These days I have no idea if he still has that thing, but at least he thought it was cool though.

ᴬᶫᶫ ᴴᵉᶦᶫ ᴬᴹᴰ