PC "Upgrade" to Gaming Monster

Hello!

I am new to the community but love LinusTech and have been following them for a while. I read the recommendations so I will try to stick to it and not leave anything out so you guys don't have to ask too many questions.

Current rig is an old setup built about 3 years ago. I have a 550TI GTX with an I5 sandy bridge and some motherboard that shouldn't even exist anymore.

My Goal: I am looking at spending at around $1,000.00 USD in order to "upgrade" my computer to be a monster of the gaming world. After review I have selected a few parts that I want and think would work well together. Here is a link to all the stuff I would like to buy eventually. (I plan on having at most 2 monitors in the future that are around 27 inches each, nothing too crazy)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CY46qk

The main goal here is replacing the brain and organs of my computer. (I'm just building a new computer... Let's be honest) I currently have an NZXT Phantom (ATX Full Tower) and can support almost anything I want to put in it. I have a 600W power supply that I believe can survive the operation. The 4 main parts I'm buying are the 1070 GTX, an I5 6600k, a motherboard, and the ram to support it.

I have monitors and a storage device already but am thinking about buying windows 10 and an SSD for a quick boot up.

I am open to all suggestions and look forward to seeing and hearing what all of you have to say/suggest.

Thank you for your time!

Maljurious

2 minutes ago, Maljurious said:

Hello!

I am new to the community but love LinusTech and have been following them for a while. I read the recommendations so I will try to stick to it and not leave anything out so you guys don't have to ask too many questions.

Current rig is an old setup built about 3 years ago. I have a 550TI GTX with an I5 sandy bridge and some motherboard that shouldn't even exist anymore.

My Goal: I am looking at spending at around $1,000.00 USD in order to "upgrade" my computer to be a monster of the gaming world. After review I have selected a few parts that I want and think would work well together. Here is a link to all the stuff I would like to buy eventually. (I plan on having at most 2 monitors in the future that are around 27 inches each, nothing too crazy)

The main goal here is replacing the brain and organs of my computer. (I'm just building a new computer... Let's be honest) I currently have an NZXT Phantom (ATX Full Tower) and can support almost anything I want to put in it. I have a 600W power supply that I believe can survive the operation. The 4 main parts I'm buying are the 1070 GTX, an I5 6600k, a motherboard, and the ram to support it.

I have monitors and a storage device already but am thinking about buying windows 10 and an SSD for a quick boot up.

I am open to all suggestions and look forward to seeing and hearing what all of you have to say/suggest.

Thank you for your time!

Maljurious

Better quality PSU. Something like a RM or CXm 

2 minutes ago, Maljurious said:

Hello!

Thank you for your time!

Maljurious

Looks good, nothing I would change

With $1000 you could get a 6700k, 1070, mobo and ram.

Whats your current power supply though? brand/model

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, Unexas. said:

Better quality PSU. Something like a RM or CXm 

It's gold certified, he should be okay

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

Uhh no, quality isn't based on 80+ rating

Though yes, higher quality psu's generally have a higher efficiency rating, but it doesn't work the other way round.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, Unexas. said:

Efficiency=/=Quality Components

If your looking at quality components, he should be okay on that end as well

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

He means 80+ Gold means jack shit. An EVGA B2 (broze) 750W would last longer than an EVGA NEX (G1, Gold) 750W simply because of the quality of the internal components.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Is the PSU you included in the build the one you already have? If so, it should be fine, but if you're thinking about buying that one there are definitely better choices. You can get cheaper RAM, that set seems a bit expensive, plus it doesn't really match any other color in the build. Other than that it looks good.

In the future, if you already have the parts you can choose a $0 value for the price. Helps the confused people who don't fully read the OP before replying.

Welcome to the forum!

6 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

That has nothing to do with the quality of the PSU. Also, you don't need to quote the original post, and if it's that long you should snip it.

5 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

Efficiency=/=Quality Components

True. You don't need to quote the original post, and if it's that long you should snip it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Can honestly say I've not heard of that model so i'm not sure where it stands quality wise, its also not on the tier list nor the psu whitelist.

@STRMfrmXMN Do you know if its any good or needs to be upgraded?

Here is my suggestion for improvements and better value. The SSD and PSU in particular would need to be swapped.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: *Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.97 @ Jet)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Jet)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($120.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1366.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-05 14:15 EST-0500

TLDR: Better CPU cooler, cheaper but still excellent motherboard, cheaper and better RAM, much better and twice as big SSD, cheaper GTX 1070, better and cheaper PSU.

To assist with the power supply dispute!

I was planning on buying the power supply listed on the PCpart picker if I needed more juice so if there are better quality options to suit the build that are more reliable please let me know!

11 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

Just because the output wattage is say 90% of the input wattage doesn't mean that the PSU could have bad ripple current or unstable voltages.

For example, here's the ripple results of a 80PLUS platinum power supply: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/azza-platinum-750-w-power-supply-review/8/

And one from a 80PLUS Gold: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/seasonic-g-550-power-supply-review/10/

And one from an 80PLUS Bronze: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/corsair-gs700-bronze-power-supply-review/8/

Also another one with an 80PLUS Platinum Gold: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/antec-high-current-pro-750-w-power-supply-review/8/

tl;dr, some 80PLUS Gold and Bronze PSUs do as good, if not better in their primary 12V rails than 80PLUS Platinum power supplies.

80PLUS certification does not mean quality.

3 minutes ago, Maljurious said:

I was planning on buying the power supply listed on the PCpart picker if I needed more juice so if there are better quality options to suit the build that are more reliable please let me know!

If you can afford one in your budget, an EVGA G2/G3 or Corsair RMx/RMi. 550 watt should be more than enough.

8 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Can honestly say I've not heard of that model so i'm not sure where it stands quality wise, its also not on the tier list nor the psu whitelist.

@STRMfrmXMN Do you know if its any good or needs to be upgraded?

Can't recall the Valens being any good or if we couldn't find info about it. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

If you can afford one in your budget, an EVGA G2/G3 or Corsair RMx/RMi. 550 watt should be more than enough.

So I am a complete newbie when it comes to power supplies and their quality/effect on the build. (Obviously) So 550 Watts is enough? I have always been worried about having too small of a power supply and my computer eating it. (I know I'm a noob)

5 minutes ago, Maljurious said:

I put a Seasonic S12II-620 in the build above, it's higher quality and cheaper than the EVGA unit you picked. It is a somewhat older design though, so if you're okay with paying more there are even better options. Like the ones suggested here:

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

An EVGA 550W G2 would cost $5 more, so it's not a budget wrecker. However, I might instead go for the Seasonic G-650 at the same price. The EVGA G2 is slightly higher quality, but the difference between excellent and a little more excellent is not that important. A little extra wattage, instead, might be more worth it in the long run.

1 minute ago, Maljurious said:

So I am a complete newbie when it comes to power supplies and their quality/effect on the build. (Obviously) So 550 Watts is enough? I have always been worried about having too small of a power supply and my computer eating it. (I know I'm a noob)

You could run a 6700k + 1070 on a 450 watt just fine. so if you settle on a 6600k you'll be even... finer?

At 450 watts i don't think theres any tier 1 power supplies though, there might be a few tier 2's but i've not looked into them that much,

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RYptkT
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RYptkT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($145.03 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.74 @ B&H) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($389.67 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.45 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($269.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1460.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-05 14:23 EST-0500

also, you dont need windows 10 pro... Its a waste of money and you could find in kinguin for 30 bucks...

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

An EVGA 550W G2 would cost $5 more, so it's not a budget wrecker. However, I might instead go for the Seasonic G-650 at the same price. The EVGA G2 is slightly higher quality, but the difference between excellent and a little more excellent is not that important. A little extra wattage, instead, might be more worth it in the long run.

Personally i'd rather quality over quantit, or wattage in this case, but if OP has any plans to SLI in future, that seasonic would be the better option.

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Can't recall the Valens being any good or if we couldn't find info about it. 

It's an ATNG unit. One of their better, probably, but they're not exactly a great PSU manufacturer.

Only review I've found is HardOCP giving it a failing grade. But then HardOCP is very, very picky.

3 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RYptkT
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RYptkT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($145.03 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.74 @ B&H) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($389.67 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.45 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($269.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1460.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-05 14:23 EST-0500

also, you dont need windows 10 pro... Its a waste of money and you could find in kinguin for 30 bucks...

The Sandisk SSD Plus is absolute crap.

Alright! You are all so amazing! Here is a much less confusing and updated version of what everyone has thought of. also be noted that I am willing to invest more into the processor/graphics card for awesome gaming. The most I will spend all together is around $1250.00 USD because this will be my machine for the next 2 years. (I know big dreams since everything gets out dated pretty quick nowadays)