Would you rather use a 2658 V3 QS or I7 3930k

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
4 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I don't really care act ECC it's just that DDR3 ECC is cheap right now, but which one should I get? 3930k or 2658 v3? Cores or Clocks essentially

Rendering & animation leverage cores & threads (depending on what editing software you use)

Games leverages higher core speed (4+ core CPU)

If you render and animate more frequently than you game the Xeon will make a difference in your workflow.

If you game at 1080p or higher and use max or ultra settings the Xeon will bottleneck the performance of the game and maybe even the GPU if it's like a GTX 1080 or RX480 (high end processor)

OR

If you game more often then you render and animate games will see a boost in performance. Plus you can overclock the CPU.

Rendering and animation will not be as fast (6 cores & 12 threads @ 3.8GHz(turbo) vs 12 cores & 24 threads @ 2.9GHz(turbo))

Personally of the two I'd choose the Xeon.

Gaming, Rendering, Animation, and all, just in general, which would you rather use, also heavy chrome and high rain meter usage.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what programs?

Adobe after effects, Cinema 4D, and such, Adobe Premier, and games like Minecraft(Yes), Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, GTA 5, Battlefield 1, Overwatch, by heavy chrome use, I mean 200+ tabs open, and by high rain meter usage, I mean on an i5 6600k @ stock it uses 16% CPU roughly.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

i would go for xeon, your going to be doing pro work and playing games, using chrome so xeon would be a better choice.

I would choose the i7-3930k because of the better single core performance and with 6 cores it should work well with even some programs that like high core count CPUs. It will also perform better in games because of this

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

Adobe after effects, Cinema 4D, and such, Adobe Premier, and games like Minecraft(Yes), Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, GTA 5, Battlefield 1, Overwatch, by heavy chrome use, I mean 200+ tabs open, and by high rain meter usage, I mean on an i5 6600k @ stock it uses 16% CPU roughly.

Personally id get the 3930k or a newer 6800k(if you can afford it).

The xeon is a bit faster in rendering, but costs 1600 bucks and is last gen(unless you by the es ones on ebay which are known for having problems like no hyperthreading, no vt-d, other than the fact that there stolen).

The  i7 will be a good amount faster in games and browsing, and can be oced to about the same speed if you want.

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i would go for xeon, your going to be doing pro work and playing games, using chrome so xeon would be a better choice.

I wrongly phrased my last thread, this was correctly worded, that I would being doing this, they said I should stick with my I5 because I'd be doing mainly gaming, although I'm slightly worried about the Xeon being able to keep up in siege at the 144 fps mark that my i5 barely does, would upgrading my gpu help that? (Ocing if possible will be done.)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Personally id get the 3930k or a newer 6800k(if you can afford it).

The xeon is a bit faster in rendering, but costs 1600 bucks and is last gen(unless you by the es ones on ebay which are known for having problems like no hyperthreading, no vt-d, other than the fact that there stolen).

The  i7 will be a good amount faster in games and browsing, and can be oced to about the same speed if you want.

I'd be getting a QS Xeon, which is close to retail, don't mind the stolen fact, my wallet would die if it costed 1600$.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My previous 3930k did very well. Puts out a lot of heat though.

Heat really isn't an issue, I'm RMA'ing my Corsair H100i V2

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

I would choose the i7-3930k because of the better single core performance and with 6 cores it should work well with even some programs that like high core count CPUs. It will also perform better in games because of this

Skyrim and games that for the most part only use one core would suicide. That I know, either one of them in my situation would be an upgrade.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I wrongly phrased my last thread, this was correctly worded, that I would being doing this, they said I should stick with my I5 because I'd be doing mainly gaming, although I'm slightly worried about the Xeon being able to keep up in siege at the 144 fps mark that my i5 barely does, would upgrading my gpu help that? (Ocing if possible will be done.)

if gaming is your main concern the i7 would be your best bet. as you may know xeon are workhorse they have lower clock speed and more core but weaker core. for gaming games use less stronger core so the i7 would be your best bet. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

if gaming is your main concern the i7 would be your best bet. as you may know xeon are workhorse they have lower clock speed and more core but weaker core. for gaming games use less stronger core so the i7 would be your best bet. 

The i7 is also slightly cheaper, would I be missing out on any features on the X99 platform compared to X79? Like less ram slots, M.2, USB-C, (Although the mobos I'm looking at don't have those last two features anyway) 

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Skyrim and games that for the most part only use one core would suicide. That I know, either one of them in my situation would be an upgrade.

Yes but the i7 will allow for you to play the games betrlter and allow for Less bottleneck on a gpu

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

My PC:

Spoiler

If you have no plans of overclocking the 3930K I'd opt for the Xeon. On top of that the Xeon will have support for ECC and DDR4 memory of which the 3930K will not.

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

The i7 is also slightly cheaper, would I be missing out on any features on the X99 platform compared to X79? Like less ram slots, M.2, USB-C, (Although the mobos I'm looking at don't have those last two features anyway) 

not anything you need

1 minute ago, VoyexTech said:

Yes but the i7 will allow for you to play the games betrlter and allow for some future-proofing

When I bought my I5, and even used the I7, I noticed, 4 cores and 8 threads, to me at least, truly isn't enough anymore.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If you have no plans of overclocking the 3930K I'd opt for the Xeon. On top of that the Xeon will have support for ECC and DDR4 memory of which the 3930K will not.

That's what I'm slightly disappointed about, if I could use ECC for the 3930k I would there are 30$ 16GB ECC kits brand new right now, but I have DDR4, which I have no Idea how to sell, I can get ahold of DDR3 no prob though. (My friend has around 52GB of DDR3 in 4-8GB sticks just laying around.)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not anything you need

Not anything a good 30$ into a PCIE expansion card can't do as well.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

When I bought my I5, and even used the I7, I noticed, 4 cores and 8 threads, to me at least, truly isn't enough anymore.

Hm... what does it seem hold you back in?

My PC:

Spoiler

You could use the Xeon with non-ECC memory until you find the means to acquire it. I know Newegg.com sells DDR4 ECC kits. As for selling the RAM you already have there's always ebay and craigslist.

1 minute ago, VoyexTech said:

Hm... what does it seem hold you back in?

Rendering power, heavy multi-tasking, chrome, and if I wanna game and do something else at the same time, there have been plenty of times when I was playing music, using rain meter and playing a game on a friends barrowed i7 6700k, at it was at 100% CPU, and I wanted to do more, and with an i5, playing a game and listening to music on YouTube w/ chrome with 200+ chrome tabs is already a No-Go, on GTA 5 even w/o music on with those tabs my frames drop to 50 and cause stuttering from my usual 80-90

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You could use the Xeon with non-ECC memory until you find the means to acquire it. I know Newegg.com sells DDR4 ECC kits. As for selling the RAM you already have there's always ebay and craigslist.

Ram isn't exactly a top-hit, although if I go with the 3930k, I can just do a straight trade w/ a friend for 16GB of DDR4 for 16/20GB of DDR3, he does EBay Buying/Selling allot, I found an I7 980 for 20$ that was "broken" we fixed it, Oc'd it and got the highest oc score for it on Userbenchmark and made around a 140$ profit. (I got none of it, he sorta owes me)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Ram isn't exactly a top-hit, although if I go with the 3930k, I can just do a straight trade w/ a friend for 16GB of DDR4 for 16/20GB of DDR3, he does EBay Buying/Selling allot, I found an I7 980 for 20$ that was "broken" we fixed it, Oc'd it and got the highest oc score for it on Userbenchmark and made around a 140$ profit. (I got none of it, he sorta owes me)

Are you looking for maximum power or do you just want to utilize some RAM you have on hand? The choice is yours.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you looking for maximum power or do you just want to utilize some RAM you have on hand? The choice is yours.

All the power 

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

All the power 

You don't have to use ECC with a Xeon it's just an added perk. You can use your Non-ECC DDR4 memory with the Xeon. If you ever have an application that would leverage ECC memory then you could trade it out in the future.