New computer, mouse and keyboard won't work past BIOS

Voxmasher

Got a new rig, kept the old HDD because I wanted to keep some files and transfer after.

Everything boots up fine and dandy... But I couldn't enter the password. Tried various things and Googled a bit about it. Nothing helped.

Figured, screw it, unplugged the HDD (power and SATA on the back of it) and got the Windows disc to set up the rest. Mouse and keyboard won't do anything when Windows asks what language settings I want. It actually seem to lock up as the laser is constantly on on the mouse and I can't toggle caps-, scroll-, or num-lock.

Everything is new apart from the GPU (AMD RX-270)

Mobo - Asrock H110M-HDS

RAM - 8GB Hyper X

CPU - Intel i5 6500

Any ideas? I'm all out and just want to throw it out of the window.

Try different usb ports?

Double check connections?

Try ps/2 keyboard + mouse?

If the ps/2 keyboard + mouse works then you should be able to get drivers. Otherwise if you have a different machine or a public library nearby you can download the drivers, put on usb and transfer over to your rig. @Voxmasher

Also double check any/all settings within bios while they are working.

Tried all ports, front and back. USB 2 and 3.

It finds everything.

Don't have a PS/2 mouse or keyboard around. But I have tried other keyboards.

Luckily you should be able to get a ps/2 mouse or keyboard for extremely cheap lol. If that's an option, but honestly I would just get drivers on a USB and install them. (however this is possible for you, as I mentioned, use a different home PC or work PC or even public library)

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Luckily you should be able to get a ps/2 mouse or keyboard for extremely cheap lol. If that's an option, but honestly I would just get drivers on a USB and install them. (however this is possible for you, as I mentioned, use a different home PC or work PC or even public library)

The problem is, I can't get onto Windows with the other HDD, it's set behind a password. Which I can't enter.

And I can't install Windows on another drive because, well the keyboard and mouse doesn't work.

8 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Otherwise if you have a different machine or a public library nearby you can download the drivers

Or a friend's house, or a relatives, anywhere with access to the internet with a working keyboard and mouse just to get drivers on a USB will work and is worth a try.

Or a friend's house, or a relatives, anywhere with access to the internet with a working keyboard and mouse just to get drivers on a USB will work and is worth a try.

Do you mean to install the drivers on a stick? Like the ones for the keyboard or motherboard drivers?

If anything, I would recommend getting a new HDD or SSD if you have the budget for it, then in the future once your computer is all set and working you can transfer the files. Just in case it's some sort of funky issue with the drive, and not drivers.

1 minute ago, Voxmasher said:

Do you mean to install the drivers on a stick? Like the ones for the keyboard or motherboard drivers?

Yes, I would try keyboard drivers, mouse driver, and motherboard if possible. Is this machine currently connected to the internet as well?

If anything, I would recommend getting a new HDD or SSD if you have the budget for it, then in the future once your computer is all set and working you can transfer the files. Just in case it's some sort of funky issue with the drive, and not drivers.

Now I'm just confused.

In the computer is currently the old HDD (unplugged) and the SSD I was going to install Windows on. At first I was going to just use the current Windows (located on the HDD) to see if everything worked as it should. But I can't log in because the keyboard locks up (or at least seems to) so I figured I'd just unplug it and install Windows again on the SSD. Which again, didn't work. Which is weird. The same keyboard works fine on another computer without any problem.

Yes, I would try keyboard drivers, mouse driver, and motherboard if possible. Is this machine currently connected to the internet as well?

I'll see if I can do this, it is connected to the internet.

2 minutes ago, Voxmasher said:

Now I'm just confused.

-snip-

Sorry for the confusion, what version of windows was saved on the old HDD, and what version of windows are you trying to install?

Sorry for the confusion, what version of windows was saved on the old HDD, and what version of windows are you trying to install?

Windows 7, both of them.

Newer boards like yours will lock out the USB during Windows install, but will work with Win8 and above. USB 2 should not have this problem, that is if Intel has some how managed to wired them not to work just like USB 3. Your option now is to buy a PS/2 keyboard and then install the USB and chipset drivers for your board. After that, your keyboard and mouse will work.

Asrock has a work around for your board, I've actually tried it and... it does not work, so I had to do some other method to get that crap going. PITA doe. Maybe you might be lucky.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Hmm, yeah, if you have a brand new SSD and are simply trying to install windows using the disc, but it's freezing part-way into the installation process (language choice) that is very strange to me. It seems like your drivers ARE working but just stop for some reason.

I would still try to update drivers for mouse/keyboard/motherboard (possibly motherboard firmware update).

Otherwise, I'm currently out of ideas.

40 minutes ago, Voxmasher said:

In the computer is currently the old HDD (unplugged) and the SSD I was going to install Windows on. At first I was going to just use the current Windows (located on the HDD) to see if everything worked as it should. But I can't log in because the keyboard locks up (or at least seems to) so I figured I'd just unplug it and install Windows again on the SSD. Which again, didn't work. Which is weird. The same keyboard works fine on another computer without any problem.

Ok, I see why it wouldn't work with the old Windows install (your old motherboard drivers aren't compatible with the new one), but that doesn't explain why it's not working with the Windows install media ...

Try to get your hands on an old PS/2 keyboard and try installing Windows that way.

Edited by wkdpaul
typos

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !