Intel annouces Cannon Lake shipping before end of 2017

DarkBlade2117
1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Let me launch this new product...with 0 fucking IPC gains, while at the same time bait and switch you to wait for Cannon lake mere hours after you can officially buy Kaby.

Fucking assholes, Zen needs to fucking kick their ass in a hurry.

Cannonlake is NOT a replacement to Kaby. It's seriously low-voltage SoC's. The things you used to see in Chromebooks, and what you currently see in those compute sticks. The highest Cannonlake SKU is 15w, meaning it won't even replace the 35w T SKU's or "Kaby Gaming Laptops". 

If you are interested at all in Kaby Lake, you certainly won't be interested in Cannonlake, as it's an entirely different market, one Kaby won't be competing in. Cannonlake is also capped at GT2, not GT3e or GT4e, so it won't even replace what's in the Macbooks or XPS13 units. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well guys, guess what, portable and mobile telecommunications IS the future...

Groomlake Authority

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well guys, guess what, portable and mobile telecommunications IS the future...

To an extent. Physics will always have the final say in everything. If you can make something powerful even smaller, then you can make something even stronger with more space. At least, that's what my limited understanding of physics leads me to believe. 

1 minute ago, Sampsy said:

Coffee lake is still 14nm.

Oh, correct. I forgot Coffee Lake is the Kaby refresh. We won't see true 10nm desktop chips until 2018 with Icelake, which means people should be even less worried about Kaby's longevity. Thanks for pointing that out.

55 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Still waiting for 6-core mainstream...

Zen is coming sooner than you think and there will be a 6 core variant (with AMD's implementation of HyperThreading)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

30% more hype with 30% higher cost, and 0 more cores for consumers.

AMD save us, you're our only hope for competition.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 minute ago, Yoinkerman said:

30% more hype with 30% higher cost, and 0 more cores for consumers.

AMD save us, you're our only hope for competition.

You expect more cores on a 5.2/15w SKU? Sorry friend, but not even AMD can save you. 

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You expect more cores on a 5.2/15w SKU? Sorry friend, but not even AMD can save you. 

4 with HT at least

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Zen is coming sooner than you think and there will be a 6 core variant (with AMD's implementation of HyperThreading)

Yeah hopefully it's good and it can be something for consideration. I think (hope) with DX12 that more and more games will start making use of more cores/threads. I don't have the game, but I read on reddit that someone said Watchdogs 2 uses all 8 core/ 16 threads on his 5960x. Hopefully Zen impresses me. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

14 minutes ago, MageTank said:

-snip-

But thats how we already live like :/. More people want portable, lighter and power efficient nonetheless.

Groomlake Authority

6 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

4 with HT at least

What exactly do you need HT for, on a quad core 15w chip? These chips are designed not with a performance target in mind, but a power target in mind. They actually throttle themselves once that power limit is reached, long before temperatures become a factor. You wouldn't even see a benefit from HT, as you would throttle long before HT played a role.

13 minutes ago, MageTank said:

What exactly do you need HT for, on a quad core 15w chip? These chips are designed not with a performance target in mind, but a power target in mind. They actually throttle themselves once that power limit is reached, long before temperatures become a factor. You wouldn't even see a benefit from HT, as you would throttle long before HT played a role.

Using one in an ultrabook, like a non terrible macbook.  Even more battery life than currently, with the ability to crank up the performance when plugged in, for instance.

Genuine all day battery on the go that can chew through actual work when you get to your home/office.

What we have now is close, but chokes out bad on excel, for instance.

1 minute ago, Yoinkerman said:

Using one in an ultrabook, like a non terrible macbook.  Even more battery life than currently, with the ability to crank up the performance when plugged in, for instance.

Genuine all day battery on the go that can chew through actual work when you get to your home/office.

What we have now is close, but chokes out bad on excel, for instance.

They make a 25w quad core variant that sounds exactly like what you want. Granted, it doesn't have HT, but at the very least, it's clock speeds are a lot nicer than the 2 core 15w SKU's. I am talking 3.5ghz boost clocks on a quad core with modern IPC. Surely that would get the job done, right?

6 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I'd consider anyone with any Ivy-bridge CPU or older to have a justified reason to upgrade.

my i5 2500k is doing just fine atm, I am running out of pcie slots and sata 3 ports, I love to have nvme support.

8 hours ago, Energycore said:

Except it doesn't look like we're getting any Kaby Lake with the Iris Pro Graphics, I would have loved to see that

Very Very Very Sad Face :(.

I loved Iris Pro Graphics.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I'm very deeply confused.

Why are they just now releasing Kaby Lake if they're announcing Cannon Lake?

Cannon Lake should be advertised in a year or 6 months but not right now.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, MageTank said:

Oh, correct. I forgot Coffee Lake is the Kaby refresh. 

Yeah, one can get confused with so many names, they should probably name them so that every time a part of the word(s) is the same. Oh wait. Good guy Intel.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

*only on mobile platforms.  The rest of you desktop plebs will get 14nm coffee lake

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

8 hours ago, themctipers said:

kaby lake imo is like broadwell for laptops

fucking amazing upgrade for laptops, shit on desktops

If  this trend continues  perf(mobile)=perf(desktops)

No seriously my dads new  laptop kaby lake i7+1060 smokes my brothers desktop (i5 2500k Oc +gtx750ti)

I  know it is not a  fair competition ..let me use my 1070  in that machine and report  later

8 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

X99 is getting a refresh too, though I forget the designation. Honestly, Kaby/Cannonlake would only be worth it if your system is Sandy Bridge or older, or you're building from scratch or even switching from an older AMD platform. To see real world improvements in your everyday life, ya gotta wait like three or four solid generations in my opinion. Either way, Intel is shying away from desktop platforms anyway right? They got their sights on other things so really, what else can we expect from them?

I  am on i7-3770k  and I am not upgrading (partly because I am broke)

8 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Still waiting for 6-core mainstream...

Isn't that coffee/Apollo  lake

Coffee Lake (CFL) is the 14nm desktop part that has a 6 core i7-k variant. Cannon Lake (CNL) is a laptop part based on 10nm.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

9 hours ago, MageTank said:

I'd rather they know, before we end up with a thousand threads in the CPU subforum- "Buy kaby? Or wait for cannonlake?" when the only cannonlake products launching are the 15w U-SKU's and 5.2w Y-SKU's, neither of which are socketable for desktop. 

The answer is obviously buy an FX8350 and overclock. Besides AMD will deliver better for cheaper like always.

54 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Coffee Lake (CFL) is the 14nm desktop part that has a 6 core i7-k variant. Cannon Lake (CNL) is a laptop part based on 10nm.

Coffee Lake is also 6-core laptop parts.

9 hours ago, MageTank said:

By your logic cell phone processors don't have performance targets, but that's ridiculous or we wouldn't be having such full-throttled performance growth.

Seems like the Ryzen Effect, its taking shape love it, currently saving money for end 2017/early 2018 pc with ryzen/vega/4k tv.

5 hours ago, Core_Tech said:

By your logic cell phone processors don't have performance targets, but that's ridiculous or we wouldn't be having such full-throttled performance growth.

No, not by my logic at all. The entire context of this thread is mobile Intel CPU's. You can't change the context to fit your views, that's not how this works. These mobile Intel CPU's are designed with a power target first, not a performance target. They often have a short and long limit boost, both of which are only for seconds at a time that allow you to exceed the rated power limit, until it settles back down.

It's no secret HT increases heat and power consumption. Adding it to a SKU that is completely designed with power consumption in mind is silly. They do have the 2c, 4t SKU's with HT, but that's a different story. HT doesn't use the exact same amount of power as physical cores, which is why they go that route. 

But, i'll go ahead and branch out for your sake. Yes, cell phones have performance targets, but not because of the processors. They will take an efficient processor and build tailor the OS to it (Apple, custom Android, etc). The hardware you see on these devices are often normal dual/quad cores, even though we have octa-core mobile processors (those cheap BLU phones). Core count isn't everything, but trying to explain that to you people is almost like explaining memory speed and it's impact on gaming performance in situations with high CPU overhead. It's nigh impossible.