What is the best budget motherboard for i5-6500

Go to solution Solved by Biggerboot,

You could get the cheapest H110 motherboard on pc part picker and that would be totally fine.  The features that separate motherboards aren't necessarily performance affecting, but will decide how much you can expand on your system in the future.  Look at max memory, USB headers, PCI-e expansion, etc if that's important to you.

Hi, Im planning to buy an i5-6500 but im really confused of what is the best budget motherboard to buy.. btw, it would be for gaming purposes however, im not planning to oc anything and my gpu will be gtx 1060 3gb.. can someone please suggest what motherboard should i buy to paired with i5-6500 and gtx 1060.. thank you very much :)

You could get the cheapest H110 motherboard on pc part picker and that would be totally fine.  The features that separate motherboards aren't necessarily performance affecting, but will decide how much you can expand on your system in the future.  Look at max memory, USB headers, PCI-e expansion, etc if that's important to you.

The motherboard I use is pretty cheap to get, and works well

---Me Rig---

-CPU- 

Intel i7-6700K

-GPU- 

Gigabyte RX 5600XT OC 6GB

-STORAGE- 

1x Western Digital 1TB HDD

1x Samsung M.2 1TB SSD

1x Crucial 275GB MX300 SSD

-RAM- 

Team Group 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400mHZ

-PSU- 

Corsair CX-M Series CX650M 

-MOBO- 

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6

-CASE-

Phanteks P400S Satin Black TG Edition

-PERIPHERALS-

Logitech g502 RGB and Blackwidow Elite.

-PART PICKER URL-

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jf9tbj

Have a Nice Day, Give us a Thumbs up if I helped you, Why Not?

4 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

tnx for the suggestion.. but i would like to ask if you know what is the difference of h110 and h170.. if you don't know.. its fine :).. i'll take a look at the motherboard that you suggested.. Thank you :D

10 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Ooww thank you..but i want to make it more clear for me.. if i buy the cheapest h110 motherboard.. it would be the same performace compared to a h170 motherboard?? and the difference of the two are the upgradable or the expandable system that i can do in the future... and the price..??

14 minutes ago, J-Spark said:

Ooww thank you..but i want to make it more clear for me.. if i buy the cheapest h110 motherboard.. it would be the same performace compared to a h170 motherboard?? and the difference of the two are the upgradable or the expandable system that i can do in the future... and the price..??

Correct, it all comes down to features.  

A B150/H170 board for example is capable of having more pci-e lanes.  This isn't something that would affect you now, but it might matter more in the future when you want to upgrade to a (theoretical) gtx 1280 that needs more bandwidth, or an m.2 solid state drive.  

10 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Correct, it all comes down to features.  

A B150/H170 board for example is capable of having more pci-e lanes.  This isn't something that would affect you now, but it might matter more in the future when you want to upgrade to a (theoretical) gtx 1280 that needs more bandwidth, or an m.2 solid state drive.  

Nice.. amm.. last question :D.. would the h110 motherboard be a source of bottleneck with an i5-6500 paired with gtx 1060 3gb?? i mean.. in terms of gaming with ultra or high/very high settings 1080p...?? btw.. you've been a great help for me.. thank you so much!! :D

15 minutes ago, J-Spark said:

Nice.. amm.. last question :D.. would the h110 motherboard be a source of bottleneck with an i5-6500 paired with gtx 1060 3gb?? i mean.. in terms of gaming with ultra or high/very high settings 1080p...?? btw.. you've been a great help for me.. thank you so much!! :D

Nope.  Your CPU and GPU will perform the same whether it's on an H110 or H170.  The 1060 will be the source of your bottleneck (which is what you want).  If you had to choose between getting the H170 motherboard or a 1060 6gb, spend a little more for the 6gb.

To give you an extreme counter-example: if you were getting a top end GPU like the 1080, I could see there being a 2-3% decrease due to the lower number of PCI-e lanes.  Somebody spending that much on their CPU/GPU is going to want a Z170 board anyways.

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Nope.  Your CPU and GPU will perform the same whether it's on an H110 or H170.  The 1060 will be the source of your bottleneck (which is what you want).  If you had to choose between getting the H170 motherboard or a 1060 6gb, spend a little more for the 6gb.

To give you an extreme counter-example: if you were putting a top end GPU like the 1080, I could see there being a 2-3% decrease due to the lower number of PCI-e lanes.  Somebody spending that much on their CPU/GPU is going to want a Z170 board anyways.

yeah.. maybe gtx 1060 3gb is little to low for i5-6500... thank you very much for you're time and suggestions.. :D

50 minutes ago, J-Spark said:

yeah.. maybe gtx 1060 3gb is little to low for i5-6500... thank you very much for you're time and suggestions.. :D

Dont get the 1060 3Gb, get the 6Gb or 4Gb 480 instead. 3Gb isnt enough VRAM for modern games, many now use more for high settings. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5