New Forza Horizon 3 Update Pushes a Developer Build of the Game to PC Players

The latest update to Forza Horizon 3, as noticed by NeoGAF, is a whopping 53GB download. That's an awful lot of data for a single update. As it turns out, that's because instead of patching the game to support today's Rockstar Car Pack, the update pushed an unencrypted developer build of the entire game. 

The leak revealed a huge list of cars, many of them not yet added to the game—spoiler warning, but you can see the full list on Imgur—and may well have exposed the game to heightened risks of piracy as well. But the real problem for players, as explained in this forum post, is that those who downloaded the update, and then played and saved the game, will be stuck with corrupted saves.   

"Avoid creating a new saved game on .37.2, and only play on .35.2 to avoid this issue," Forza community manager Brian Ekberg. "As long as you have an existing save and have not created a new one on .37.2, your saved game will work correctly once the update is available." 

This seems like a really amateur mistake to be honest. This is a big developer who, to be fair, is new to the PC scene. Releasing an unencrypted version of a UWP game (which is supposed to discourage and complicate piracy) seems like a HUGE mistake. Keep in mind that this version of the game was pushed onto the Windows Store, and was available to download to all FH3 owners for around 2 hours. How does this get overlooked?

It looks like most people are unable to get into the actual build, however a user on the Forza Reddit has gotten into the build and is going through and exploring some of the unreleased cars that were leaked today. This is by far the largest leak in Forza's history.

Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/forza-horizon-3-update-pushes-an-unencrypted-developers-build-by-mistake/

Forza Reddit thread:

EDIT: Imgur album showing off some of the new vehicles. It's being updated fairly regularly: http://imgur.com/r/forza/MevKB

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

What a putz. Someone's not getting their raise anymore.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

What a putz. Someone's not getting their raise anymore.

I can only imagine the chaos at Playground Games HQ. What was supposed to be a good day with a DLC lauch turned into an absolute shitshow xD

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

yeah just saw that.. also saw plenty of people spreading images of the dev build. 

i think the biggest leak is Porsche... seeing that assetto corsa got 3 DLC packs full of porsches holiday last year, 2017 will be the year that Porsche will be back in racing titles. 

Looked through the list.

Continued to be salty that the 2005-2007 Legacy GT is already in the game, driving around as traffic, but is not driveable.

Because I have one, and they're awesome, and the game probably has enough versions of the WRX STi.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

the whole PC release is a steaming mess. 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

rip those who have auto updated this game and have a data limit, also how did they not notice such a big mistake.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

50 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

UWP exclusive, almost a straight copy of the Xbox version, doesn't fully utilize PC capability. 

I'd take a UWP exclusive game that runs fine over a junk pile like Dishonored 2 any day.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

That's a really odd mistake from Playground Games seeing as they have been very much on point with patches up until this point.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Someones getting fired, this is a true embarrassment for the company.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Reminds me of launch when people got billions of one vip spin. Pretty happy with the car list and i guess this really does confirm porsche if you didnt already believe from the rwb credits. Pretty excited for these cars :)

And i was just about to play some FH3 Today... Lucky me that i saw this news in time.
I'ts a good thing that they are adding porsche. But i'd much rather have them to fix the game to run in  SLI/crossfire and 21/9 & tripple monitor setups, but i'm afraid that's probably never gonna happen :(

I'm so glad they pulled the update before my system auto updated. Now if they would hurry up and push the actual patch cause I want my cars from the Season Pass for this month. They really should give us PC users something as a make good for all the poor optimisation, crashing and now patching issues.9_9

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

6 hours ago, Carclis said:

I'd take a UWP exclusive game that runs fine over a junk pile like Dishonored 2 any day.

Dishonored 2's problems weren't that terrible. They tried to fix them but you can only do so much when you build the game for console first.

It's not like almost every game has launch issues.

41 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Dishonored 2's problems weren't that terrible. They tried to fix them but you can only do so much when you build the game for console first.

It's not like almost every game has launch issues.

Try telling that to those that continue to have an unplayable experience, my self included almost two months after release. If you want a UWP game to rag on you should be criticizing Gears of War Ultimate which has not been fixed to this day.

Wait i'm confused. Can somebody explain in technical detail?

I know how AppX packages work. And they're supposed to be secure... It would be really difficult to screw up as badly as the topic suggests it did.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Try telling that to those that continue to have an unplayable experience, my self included almost two months after release. If you want a UWP game to rag on you should be criticizing Gears of War Ultimate which has not been fixed to this day.

i've just beaten dishonored 2, and it wasn't that bad performance-wise. but it could have done a bit better in a couple of places... 

17 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i've just beaten dishonored 2, and it wasn't that bad performance-wise. but it could have done a bit better in a couple of places... 

I don't really want to drag this any more off topic but would you happen to be running an Nvidia card?

10 hours ago, Carclis said:

Unfortunately the game does not run fine, the whole PC release was a clusterfuck.

Inconsistent framerates between similar/same hardware, bad microstuttering, the game not launching if you have some popular antiviruses, frequent crashing, issues on MS end that wouldn't allow people to download the game.

Some of that took months to fix and others have yet to be taken care of.

3 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

Unfortunately the game does not run fine, the whole PC release was a clusterfuck.

Inconsistent framerates between similar/same hardware, bad microstuttering, the game not launching if you have some popular antiviruses, frequent crashing, issues on MS end that wouldn't allow people to download the game.

Some of that took months to fix and others have yet to be taken care of.

That's a shame. For me the stuttering and crashes were resolved by the first patch.

I just want to play at high settings (that I should be getting when i bought a 4690k and a 970 thanks) and it doesn't crash every 30 minutes.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

4 hours ago, Carclis said:

That happens with almost every single game. Go to any game that uses heavy graphics and look at all of the negative reviews - there's almost always a lot of people who can't seem to get the game to start and will request a refund. There's always some group of people who can't seem to get the game to start or just have weird issues that they can't resolve. I'm not trying to say that because I personally haven't had those issues that they don't exist, but a rule of thumb is that the problem can and will be between the keyboard and the chair.

I mean, I regularly played games with someone who has a higher end system than I do and they couldn't get The Division to even start even after one of the major patches that supposedly fixed it for a ton of people. Everyone else in my group had it working fine though.

Just saying those issues are not something new. UWP is more cancerous than U(Don't)Play, so I don't see how you would say you would take a UWP game over Dishonored 2, lool

14 hours ago, Technicolors said:

yeah just saw that.. also saw plenty of people spreading images of the dev build. 

i think the biggest leak is Porsche... seeing that assetto corsa got 3 DLC packs full of porsches holiday last year, 2017 will be the year that Porsche will be back in racing titles. 

Most expected Porsche to be in FH3 since they were in FH2 and FM6. 

This basically just confirms all of the cars that will be coming in the monthly DLC packs they still have to release. So now we know what we're waiting for.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I had issues with framerates from session to session, micro stuttering that seems to finally have been mostly ironed out after a couple months.

There is a part in the game where you race a train and between sessions I could either have it run great or have it completely shit the bed and run in low single digit framerates.

People seem to think that the micro stuttering is due to the anti piracy system implemented where they think it has to de-encrypt files on the fly and causes 1 CPU core to max out at 100% while all the other cores are at a modest load at best.

I haven't tried it in about a month but I last time I tried the game would still not launch if I had Avast antivirus installed.

The forum's Known Issues thread listed it as fixed but even still if I reinstalled Avast the game would crash at the exact same place in the startup splash screen.

And that is the thing, you couldn't just disable Avast and the game would launch, no, you have to completely uninstall it before the game would run.

At launch it was a good 36-48 hours from the time I bought the game before I could download and play it.

Normally I wouldn't get too upset about launch day server issues but the error messages were just bad.

First I wasn't even sure my transaction went through on their end because when I clicked to confirm my purchase the completing transaction icon started spinning and after a minute it vanished and never gave me any message along the lines of "Thank you for your purchase, your order number is X" , I never received an email confirming the purchase and I was not taken to or told where to download the game.

When I finally found where to download the game trying to download it would result in a "verifying" message and spinning icon and eventually a message that simply said "There was a problem on our end".

About a day later when it finally let me download the game and had everything downloaded I was met with the game not launching due to the Avast antivirus issue.

Of course there was no error message with the Avast thing, the game would simply crash every time at the very same part of the startup splash screen.

It was a good 24 hours of troubleshooting / redownloading before I found a message on their forums about the Avast thing.