Do the rams need to be same brand?

I currently have 16gb of DDR4 They are Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz. If I want to upgrade more ram, do it have to be same brand or even the same ram?

Thanks

Just now, edmundhei said:

I currently have 16gb of DDR4 They are Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz. If I want to upgrade more ram, do it have to be same brand or even the same ram?

Thanks

they need to be the same specs, frequency/ cas latency etc. using random DIMMs can cause instability

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

it would help with compatibility if they were the same brand and same speed. but if you have different brands aslong as they are the same speed it should be fine 

CPU:i5-6500 RAM:HyperX Fury 16Gb 2133Mhz MotherBoard:MSI Z-170 M7 SSD:Samsung 500GB GPU:MSI Gaming GTX 980 PSU:Corsair 750i Case;NZXT H440 Razer 

Display(s) 3x BenQ RL2755HM 1080p 60Hz 1ms Headset's/Astro A50's/ATH M-50x's Phone:Samsung Galaxy S7/S6 Edge Laptop:Alienware 17 R2 Midrange i7-4710HQ/16GB/970m

Just now, Matt_98 said:

they need to be the same specs, frequency/ cas latency etc. using random DIMMs can cause instability

If you have 4 slots, the two of the same colour should be the same. You can have a different type in each set of slots.

As long as they are the same specs, they should be fine. When I say specs, I'm referring to speed and that stuff. The brand has nothing to do with it, just mostly reputability.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Matt_98 said:

They don't NEED to be, but it is always recommended that you get matching sticks to ensure compatibility.

As long as you don't use mis-matched sticks on the same channel, you should be OK. (no guarantees though since things CAN go not work sometimes.)

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, Emmien said:

If you have 4 slots, the two of the same colour should be the same. You can have a different type in each set of slots.

I actually have 8 slot. So as long as it is 3000Mhz it will be fine?

Just now, Emmien said:

true I was thinking in the same channel

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

3 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

they "are preferred to be"

but honestly.. in most cases.. mixing is fine. its just advised to go as close spec as you can to avoid issues.

Most likely your motherboard would just match the specs to the lowest common denominator if there was a mismatch, but there's no reason to risk it. If you're buying new, try to buy identical DIMMs. Buying more of exactly the same SKU you purchased before would be ideal.

20 minutes ago, edmundhei said:

I actually have 8 slot. So as long as it is 3000Mhz it will be fine?

Quad channel boards can be more picky with this sort of thing. If you don't get matching sticks, you should definitely run them in a different colour slot than the other ram you've got in there now.

Also, make sure that the target RAM speed in BIOS is set to whatever the lowest value of your sticks. Ram can underclock just fine and there is no practical difference between sticks running at 2400 vs 3000. (certain tasks can show differences but 99% of common things like gaming and day to day use wont see a performance increase)

When in doubt, re-format.