Netflix Plans to have 4k videos in 2014!!!

Youbetternot

It's happening 4k resolution is coming to netflix. This must mean high quality movies. However Netflix is not sure if they can get 4k resolution in the year 2014. Fingers -crossed I hope they do and I hope I can get a 4k TV or Monitor.

tumblr_inline_mgf72xX95n1qzozj1.jpg

Ask anyone what the largest issue facing 4K video is, and you'll likely be told that it's distribution; bringing the massive files — with four times the resolution of a 1080p video — to viewers' homes is an incredible challenge. Nevertheless, Netflix believes it will be able stream Ultra HD 4K videos to customers by next year, and it's already testing the feature, according to Gigaom. In fact, you can watch Netflix's test footage now, as a number of 4K "movies" have hit the service for internal checks on 4K performance. It's worth noting that the movies are all made up of test footage, and 4K quality isn't an option yet for subscribers.

Netflix hasn't kept its interest in streaming 4K video directly to subscribers' homes a secret. CPO Neil Hunt told The Verge this spring that "we expect to be delivering 4K within a year or two with at least some movies and then over time become an important source of 4K," and CEO Reed Hastings said on a recent earnings call that "we want to be one of the big suppliers of 4K next year." The company also teamed up with Samsung to demonstrate live 4K streaming at CES this past January.

source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/2/5058386/netflix-testing-ultra-hd-4k-to-prepare-for-launch-next-year

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Unless the rest of the world suddenly has price to performance ratio of East Asian countries when it comes ISP, this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

i can only barely steam 480p quality on my internet connection and still pay $70 per month for it :(

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Now if everyone had fiber this would be perfect.

It's too early, the world is not ready for this in any way:

-Internet isn't fast enough almost everywhere

-Almost nobody has a 4k display (though 4k compressed will look better than 1080p compressed on a 1080p display, but not as much better as a proper 4K display would be

I think they should've waited for this at least a year or two more, so that there is at least soem infrastructure to support this.

On the other hand it is really cool and will drive cost of 4K monitors down, so looking at it from that perspective makes it look more benefitial to the general public.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

You can already get a 39" 30hz 4k TV for $699. All of those numbers will improve in the coming years (with the exception of 4k, I guess).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

It's too early, the world is not ready for this in any way:

-Internet isn't fast enough almost everywhere

-Almost nobody has a 4k display (though 4k compressed will look better than 1080p compressed on a 1080p display, but not as much better as a proper 4K display would be

I think they should've waited for this at least a year or two more, so that there is at least soem infrastructure to support this.

On the other hand it is really cool and will drive cost of 4K monitors down, so looking at it from that perspective makes it look more benefitial to the general public.

I think it's better to have the option everywhere, gives people a reason to upgrade and hopefully for ISP's to start kicking themselves in the faces and giving us faster internet.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

60fps? please say yes!

even with extreme compression, don't we need 15-25Mbs down for this?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I think it's better to have the option everywhere, gives people a reason to upgrade and hopefully for ISP's to start kicking themselves in the faces and giving us faster internet.

Exactly, this can be a driving force in the ISP business, as customers will start to complain to their ISPs, so ISPs will have to respond with speed increases and more reasonable prices. 

Also it could be an interesting benchmark tool, just think about it, "Which ISP can't stream Netfix in 4k". ISPs will realize they have to get off their butts and actually improve.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Now I can start using up all the bandwidth our current plan with Verizon offers. 

(We have 75 down, 35 up.)

Now all I need is a 4K TV/monitor.

:P

COMIC SANS

i wish the US would push for faster internet like they push to shut down the government

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

the bandwidth will kill most peoples internet. only people with fibre optic 1gigbit pipes+ will have fun with this.

So 4K streaming from Netflix is trying to be like Google with their Fiber connection?  

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

So 4K streaming from Netflix is trying to be like Google with their Fiber connection?  

No, but imagine the bad rep ISPs will get when people start criticizing them for not being able to watch Netflix. If anything people won't use the ISP that sucks, but rather switch. Remember , "People vote with their wallet."

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

60fps? please say yes!

even with extreme compression, don't we need 15-25Mbs down for this?

HFR video streaming would be so awsome :D

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Oh god, that would eat up ALL THE BANDWIDTH!

Perhaps it could finally force all those stupid and lazy ISPs to upgrade their services.