Does 144Hz matter when you cant output 144 fps?

just tilt

If i play everything at ultra settings with me RX 480 8GB i get anywhere from 50 to 100 FPS in AAA titles. Is getting a 144Hz monitor worth it if i tune the settings down a bit and achieve stable 80+ FPS or so? Or am i better getting a 85Hz refresh rate monitor then?
1920x1080
1ms
22-27 inches
Don't want to spend extra $ if i don't have to

Even getting 75-100FPS in games is worth it IMO. I can tell the difference from 60Hz and 75Hz, maybe turn down some settings that don't make to big of a visual impact to stay at >60FPS. Plus in games like Rocket League, CS:GO, Overwatch ect 144FPS is easily achievable.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Nvm

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

Yes, because usually it helps with screen tearing.

EDIT: But you'd still be better off with 100hz with freesync than 144 hz without it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Even getting 75-100FPS in games is worth it IMO. I can tell the difference from 60Hz and 75Hz, maybe turn down some settings that don't make to big of a visual impact to stay at >60FPS. Plus in games like Rocket League, CS:GO, Overwatch ect 144FPS is easily achievable.

Thanks for the tip :)
Talking about AAA titles maxed out, like GTA 5, Mafia 3 etc. Still considering tweaking it down a bit so i get stable 80+ FPS

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

But why play at ultra if you can turn it down a bit and get like 100-110?

I did say i'd rather turn it down a bit to get 80+

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Yes, it helps with screen tearing.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Yes, because usually it helps with screen tearing.

No, if you can't match the refresh rate, issues become present. OP would be better off with something around 100, but more importantly with FreeSync. Since FreeSync doesn't nearly carry the premium of G-Sync, it is very much worth it, even on a budget. 

OP, I recommend getting a FreeSync monitor, of the resolution and panel type of your choice (e.g 1440p, IPS), then get the best refresh rate possible (of at least 80 I would say)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Just now, just tilt said:

Thanks for the tip :)
Talking about AAA titles maxed out, like GTA 5, Mafia 3 etc. Still considering tweaking it down a bit so i get stable 80+ FPS

I did say i'd rather turn it down a bit to get 80+

Even though the 290 isnt' to far behind a 480, it is more or less between a 470 and 480 and I can get >57FPS at near max settings by turning down a few settings.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

6 minutes ago, just tilt said:

If i play everything at ultra settings with me RX 480 8GB i get anywhere from 50 to 100 FPS in AAA titles. Is getting a 144Hz monitor worth it if i tune the settings down a bit and achieve stable 80+ FPS or so? Or am i better getting a 85Hz refresh rate monitor then?
1920x1080
1ms
22-27 inches
Don't want to spend extra $ if i don't have to

It matters up to the 100FPS your getting, but those last 44hz don't matter one bit.  Personally, I'd rather get a good 120hz monitor with great latency and color accuracy, than a average 144hz monitor.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

No, if you can't match the refresh rate, issues become present. OP would be better off with something around 100, but more importantly with FreeSync. Since FreeSync doesn't nearly carry the premium of G-Sync, it is very much worth it, even on a budget. 

OP, I recommend getting a FreeSync monitor, of the resolution and panel type of your choice (e.g 1440p, IPS), then get the best refresh rate possible (of at least 80 I would say)

Yes, but it's still better at 144 hz than 100 hz. See my edit; I added in freesync@100hz or something is still better.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

I recommend getting a FreeSync monitor, of the resolution and panel type of your choice (e.g 1440p, IPS), then get the best refresh rate possible (of at least 80 I would say)

Probably will do, thank you very much!

2 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Personally, I'd rather get a good 120hz monitor with great latency and color accuracy, than a average 144hz monitor.

What's considered good regarding latency and color accuracy?

Go over to Level1Tech and watch one of their latest videos about monitors.  You'll learn a lot.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Colour accuracy is not listed on a spec sheet (usually), and things like the supported colour space that you might see mostly just matter to creative pros. The biggest choice for general consumers regarding colour is IPS vs TN (better colours and viewing angles vs lower response time). Unless you play really high FPS, competitve shooters, you should be fine with an IPS, and most prefer it.

Latency is not usually listed, but reviews and resources others have mentioned should point you in the right direction

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Seems like you are having a fairly common problem, You have a card that has no issues running 1080p games at high to max settings, just can't hit 144 fps. One thing I try to do (Aside from lowering the settings) is to turn off fps counters. Not hitting your desired framerate is a very annoying thing that distracts and detracts from gameplay. So long as you hit about 90 FPS average, you don't need to worry about the meter.

1 minute ago, MrWhuppo said:

Seems like you are having a fairly common problem, You have a card that has no issues running 1080p games at high to max settings, just can't hit 144 fps. One thing I try to do (Aside from lowering the settings) is to turn off fps counters. Not hitting your desired framerate is a very annoying thing that distracts and detracts from gameplay. So long as you hit about 90 FPS average, you don't need to worry about the meter.

Ok, but should i get a 144Hz monitor or try to get one with FreeSync, 1 ms response time, 1080p and as much Hz as i can?

Ok, but should i get a 144Hz monitor or try to get one with FreeSync, 1 ms response time, 1080p and as much Hz as i can?

Never get FreeSync unless either you are financially comfortable or it's a good price. 1ms response isn't needed over something like 4 or 5. And 144hz is a lot more common than 120hz nowadays. but if you find one that is cheaper go 120hz. Also look at reviews. You will notice bad colors and viewing angles from a monitor that is too cheap more than you think.

6 minutes ago, just tilt said:

Having a 144hz monitor is a blessing. Everything will be smoother. *and you will always hit 144 in windows and applications outside of games*

144hz+ is the new master race.  I pitty the 60 hz peasants.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

18 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

not really helping...

19 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

not really helping...

1 hour ago, just tilt said:

not really helping...

Lol sorry, I couldn't resist.

Freesync doesn't add any cost to the panel, so you should definitely look for a good deal on a high refresh rate Freesync panel.  There are lots to chose from.  The higher the refresh the better.  Anything 120hz or higher, with Freesync, will be great.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build