Windows 10 Install CD vs. USB?

Scionyde

I remember back to that video Linus did on the most popular PC parts people bought using the Amazon Affiliates link. He mentioned that most people bought Windows 10 through an install CD or download, but that the USB flash drive was potentially a more attractive option because of "more flexible retail copy license terms". Can anybody elaborate on this a bit? And in your opinion, is it worth the extra cost when looking to install a fresh copy of Windows 10?

1 minute ago, Scionyde said:

I remember back to that video Linus did on the most popular PC parts people bought using the Amazon Affiliates link. He mentioned that most people bought Windows 10 through an install CD or download, but that the USB flash drive was potentially a more attractive option because of "more flexible retail copy license terms". Can anybody elaborate on this a bit? And in your opinion, is it worth the extra cost when looking to install a fresh copy of Windows 10?

The only difference with a using a USB is that more people are slowly leaving out optical drives on their builds, so using a USB would allow use on more computers

Hello

Don't you just buy keys these days and download and put it on a usb drive yourself?

5 minutes ago, Scionyde said:

Do you have a source/direct reference to the video? 

2 minutes ago, tonTeufel said:

Don't you just buy keys these days and download and put it on a usb drive yourself?

most people do but with the USB the key is already there

Hello

How you install Windows, is different from the key that you purchase.

Windows 10 ISO is freely available for download on Microsoft website, you can just create the USB boot drive or burn a DVD with it, whatever suits you more. I'd suggest USB because it is pretty much a one-time thing and you can use an existing memory stick. You would need a blank DVD to burn Windows there. Plus the optical drives are slowly disappearing from computers. You can buy a pre-made USB with the key, but what's the point? You can just download it yourself (unless really slow internet, that the time for the USB to arrive is less than downloading) and then enter the key during the installation process.

As for the key, OEM and Retail is not much different. You can buy any you want, though OEM is pretty much locked with the motherboard and if you switch it, you will need a new key, as the old one will not work. Retail however allows certain amount of activations (though likely not simultaneous use). If you use a Microsoft account, then the key will be with the account.

I have heard that about Windows 10 activation, so correct me if I am wrong about the second part.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

12 minutes ago, Scionyde said:

What he means is that with an OEM copy you are only allowed to use it on 1 PC and never use that key on another computer. Whereas the other version would allow you to use the key on more than 1 computer but not at the same time

Hello

Ah, okay. So it's merely an OEM vs Retail distinction, I missed that part.

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

The only difference with a using a USB is that more people are slowly leaving out optical drives on their builds, so using a USB would allow use on more computers

7 minutes ago, Scionyde said:

Ah, okay. So it's merely an OEM vs Retail distinction, I missed that part.

Thanks!

The other difference is speed. A USB drive (even in a USB2.0 port) will install much faster than via CD. You can install an OEM or retail version of Windows by USB, the distinction is in how you can reactivate the license. 

Just be clear (and nitpicking). Windows installers haven't been using CDs since XP. Win7 installer is 3.5Gb, so its DVD size.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv