need help with overclocking i5-6600k

like the title says.

i need help overclocking the i5-6600k. can anyone recommend start of speed please.

and also what is the highest speed you think i can get with my air cooler? (CM hyper 212 evo)

also what voltage should i be using?

spec:

i5-6600k

hyper 212 evo

asus z170 AR

GTX 970

16gb ram 3000mhz

Corsair RM650i

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i've seen it but i asking for people's opinion. cause these guys seems to be using AIO cooler and im using a air cooler

6 minutes ago, Michael0919 said:

i've seen it but i asking for people's opinion. cause these guys seems to be using AIO cooler and im using a air cooler

4.2GHz is a good starting point, but you want to work your way up to it. Overclocking is a process, and you should make 100MHz increases, stress testing each time using AIDA64 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

4.2GHz is a good starting point, but you want to work your way up to it. Overclocking is a process, and you should make 100MHz increases, stress testing each time using AIDA64 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

and voltage?

Check these out:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/384756-How-Overvolting-Works-The-Dangers-of-Overvolting-and-quot-Safe-quot-Overvolting-Technique

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html?_ga=1.113598087.1214554566.1474282311

These are the main theory behind it all, despite the cooler or chip that you're using.

Overclocking requires time, so give it the time it needs to ensure you do things correctly ;)

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

Just now, Michael0919 said:

and voltage?

1.15. You may need to use Load Line Calibration in order to maintain the set voltage. If you find yourself with an unstable overclock, increase the voltage or lower your clock speeds. If you find your CPU getting too hot, then you may need to decrease your overclock and/or the core voltage.

If the overclock is stable and temperatures are okay, I would try increasing the overclock or lowering your voltage. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

1.15. You may need to use Load Line Calibration in order to maintain the set voltage. If you find yourself with an unstable overclock, increase the voltage or lower your clock speeds. If you find your CPU getting too hot, then you may need to decrease your overclock and/or the core voltage.

If the overclock is stable and temperatures are okay, I would try increasing the overclock or lowering your voltage. 

8 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

so from what i've read. i CPU should not pass or get clost to 80C?

7 minutes ago, Michael0919 said:

I'm an advocate of the idea that your CPU shouldn't be getting that hot at all with a decent CPU cooler, voltage, and a low overclock(4.2GHz isn't that high). However, because I cannot do anything about it, and I'm not going to have someone potentially wreck their CPU to try changing it(delidding), that is the baseline I would go for at least. But try to keep temperatures as low as you can, along with voltage. 

Edited by Godlygamer23
Changed some wording around.

8 minutes ago, Michael0919 said:

Pretty much, and that applies to the calculated average temperature in the CPU cores. Just monitor the temps while overclocking to make sure it's not too hot during stress testing i Aida64 or similar, then once you're done overclocking and believe you've reached a stable overclock in the long run, do a more extended thermal check to see where you land (here many experienced people run Prime95 for thermals check, but it's kinda overkill IMO as you won't reach that high energy consumption for the CPU during your heavier usages, so using Aida64 again, or just throwing the heaviest possible PC usage you can come up with that's still realistic is enough IMO). For me personally I'd stay below 77-78C, 75C being optimal if it's possible - though it's a bit of personal preference.

Most importantly though is the first link as it suggests the safest possible methodology.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

36 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm an advocate of the idea that your CPU shouldn't be getting that hot at all with a decent CPU cooler, voltage, and a low overclock(4.2GHz isn't that high). However, because I cannot do anything about it, and I'm not going to have someone potentially wreck their CPU to try changing it(delidding), that is the baseline I would go for at least. But try to keep temperatures as low as you can, along with voltage. 

31 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

Pretty much, and that applies to the calculated average temperature in the CPU cores. Just monitor the temps while overclocking to make sure it's not too hot during stress testing i Aida64 or similar, then once you're done overclocking and believe you've reached a stable overclock in the long run, do a more extended thermal check to see where you land (here many experienced people run Prime95 for thermals check, but it's kinda overkill IMO as you won't reach that high energy consumption for the CPU during your heavier usages, so using Aida64 again, or just throwing the heaviest possible PC usage you can come up with that's still realistic is enough IMO). For me personally I'd stay below 77-78C, 75C being optimal if it's possible - though it's a bit of personal preference.

Most importantly though is the first link as it suggests the safest possible methodology.

so i was going to use aida64 to stress test but it seems my trail ended...

is there a way to still use it without buying?

3 minutes ago, Michael0919 said:

so i was going to use aida64 to stress test but it seems my trail ended...

is there a way to still use it without buying?

Depending on how it's set up, you can possibly just reinstall it. But Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is also a decent option.