Why does intel do this?

After skylake was released, some time later intel released hedt processors that are based on broadwell-e(it is a broadwell refresh,right?).Why does intel release last-gen based HEDT processors when the newer genration has just arrived?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

Skylake is for mainstream, lower core count but higher clocks. The HEDT is for entusiasts with more cores but lower clocks. The HEDT refresh was updating the architecture of the old Broadwell chips to the newer 14nm process while also integrating newer features to bring it up to date.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

13 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

After skylake was released, some time later intel released hedt processors that are based on broadwell-e(it is a broadwell refresh,right?).Why does intel release last-gen based HEDT processors when the newer genration has just arrived?

They've always released the Enthusiast chip one generation after the current one is released.

However considering that Xeons also don't have much in the way of really high performance models in Skylake, my guess is Intel uses the last generation architecture because any and all erratas they've found during the consumer run of the chip, which probably don't affect consumers that much, but are a big deal in terms of long term reliability for servers, can be fixed. And the enthusiast chips are based on Xeons.

That mostly has to do with Xeons rather than your Core i7 SKUs. The main reason is reliability.

You see, NASA used a 33MHz RISC chip to control one of its rockets a couple of years ago. Why? Because they know it's plain simple going to work. If NASA used a, oh idk, a Pentium G4400 chip, put load on it and the Skylake bug occurs, what then?

Companies don't really require to have the most advanced things in the world, they want something they know will work and they know it's been tested and refined.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Skylake is for mainstream, lower core count but higher clocks. The HEDT is for entusiasts with more cores but lower clocks. The HEDT refresh was updating the architecture of the old Broadwell chips to the newer 14nm process while also integrating newer features to bring it up to date.

But why update when you've got an altogether better generation. Why don't the directly make sylake-e

1 minute ago, Ezio Auditore said:

But why update when you've got an altogether better generation. Why don't the directly make sylake-e

Reliability and the ability to fix issues. The refreshes are generally on par with the latest gen they've just released for the mainstream so why take a brand new architecture and then push it for enthusiasts when it hasn't had as much time to bake out in the field.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Reliability and the ability to fix issues. The refreshes are generally on par with the latest gen they've just released for the mainstream so why take a brand new architecture and then push it for enthusiasts when it hasn't had as much time to bake out in the field.

Does reliability really matter if you are not going to put that chip in a server( cause we have xeons for that)

1 minute ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Does reliability really matter if you are not going to put that chip in a server( cause we have xeons for that)

i7 HEDT is essentially a high binned and clocked Xeon ;)

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

6 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

i7 HEDT is essentially a high binned and clocked Xeon ;)

Okkkkkkk, Thanks. That line just tne answer I needed.

18 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Because they are Xeons.  All of the i7 Extremes are just stripped down, upclocked Xeon's basically, they are literally born from the design process and just forked off with a high clockrate consumer flavor.   The same goes for the chipsets, they are just spins offs off the Enterprise Server/Workstation chipsets.  Wellsburg is a Server/Workstation chipset and then also the X99 chipset.  Patsburg is 5 different flavors of Server/Workstation chipset and then also the X79 chipset.

The i7 Extremes make up a small percentage of the market and Intel isn't going to dedicate resources to making a dedicated 'Enthusiast' line, they're just going to spin off a stripped down and upclock some Xeon and then sell it to enthusiasts under the 'i7 Extreme' badging.

16 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Okkkkkkk, Thanks. That line just tne answer I needed.

Why do you care anyways? Shouldn't you be on assassination contracts and shagging random women?