AMD's Vega architecture previewed at ve.ga

captain cactus
Just now, djdwosk97 said:

In fairness, a car is different from a GPU core. A 1070 core is basically just a bigger 1060 (and only 50% bigger at that) core whereas a Corvette is an entirely different build/quality/construction/etc... compared to a Malibu. 

I was going into the weeds, I was bored. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, Swatson said:

Yea, this is really the most important piece of information we need to find out. IF vega 10 is 1080 tier, vega 11 is probably going to stomp on the 1080ti, which may be why we've seen some talk of volta.

and it had better stomp pascal since AMD has taken so much time and are launching so much later. If they merely match high end pascal at a competitive price sure it will be a good buy for anybody who needs a new GPU... but it will underwhelming after all this time.

they need to take the high end crown for a few months before volta launches. It will be good for the radeon brand. It's ok if volta takes it back at the end of 2017 because then AMD navi will again launch a few months after that.

there might be something to the rumors that vega is bigger than 4096, why i say this?, well its simple, the die showed is too big, its around 500mm2-580mm2 of area, it seems to be just a bit smaller than a fury x, and with a node shrink using 280x to rx 480 size diference taking CU numbers into account, (a 280x has 2048 cus and is 352mm2, a rx 480 is just 232mm2 with 2304 cus) a 14nm finfet furyx would be 347mm2 which is much smaller than the shown vega gpu.

its so much bigger we could fit a 5248 core gpu, assuming it has the same density (CUs/mm2), a gpu that size with a 1200mhz frequency would mean 12.5Tflops, and at 1500mhz would mean 15.7TFLOPs, 

a 4096 core would be 1200mhz =9.8 tflops at 1500mhz =12.2Tflops

5 hours ago, Humbug said:

and it had better stomp pascal since AMD has taken so much time and are launching so much later. If they merely match high end pascal at a competitive price sure it will be a good buy for anybody who needs a new GPU... but it will underwhelming after all this time.

they need to take the high end crown for a few months before volta launches. It will be good for the radeon brand. It's ok if volta takes it back at the end of 2017 because then AMD navi will again launch a few months after that.

If  that happens

1)RIP Savings

2) I am opening an  overseas shopping account because r/hardwareswap is  going to be awesome

In ask fairness both me(1070) and  my dad(1080)  would  be dying to upgrade our rigs and the real winner would be my brother(750ti)  as  he gets to keep either of the cards

Although what I  hope

Small Vega >= pascal  (launch  in summer)

Volta >> Small Vega (launch b4 Halloween)

Large Vega > Volta (lets say 10%) 

Launch by new year 2018  then the market would be interesting

(Also RIP gtx 970/rx480-owners )

15 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

In ask fairness both me(1070) and  my dad(1080)  would  be dying to upgrade our rigs

Why what's wrong with your current GPUs?

4 hours ago, Humbug said:

Why what's wrong with your current GPUs?

The constant itch to upgrade..nothings wrong with the hardware but morons like us

Am I the only one questioning whether the chip Raja Koduri was holding is the same one that was running Doom at 4k? I have serious doubts that a GPU that big would perform so poorly in Doom, which also happens to very much be very much an AMD title. It's not even that much smaller than Nvidia's P100...

AMD-Vega-GPU-Comparison.jpg

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

10 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Am I the only one questioning whether the chip Raja Koduri was holding is the same one that was running Doom at 4k? I have serious doubts that a GPU that big would perform so poorly in Doom, which also happens to very much be very much an AMD title. It's not even that much smaller than Nvidia's P100...

Well, AMD themselves said it was their top-end Vega GPU. I have no clue which one Raja Koduri is holding here, or if it was the same one running that Doom demo. Could be a sneak peek to an even bigger Vega GPU.

Ye ole' train

38 minutes ago, Carclis said:

9 hours ago, cj09beira said:

there might be something to the rumors that vega is bigger than 4096, why i say this?, well its simple, the die showed is too big, its around 500mm2-580mm2 of area, it seems to be just a bit smaller than a fury x, and with a node shrink using 280x to rx 480 size diference taking CU numbers into account, (a 280x has 2048 cus and is 352mm2, a rx 480 is just 232mm2 with 2304 cus) a 14nm finfet furyx would be 347mm2 which is much smaller than the shown vega gpu.

its so much bigger we could fit a 5248 core gpu, assuming it has the same density (CUs/mm2), a gpu that size with a 1200mhz frequency would mean 12.5Tflops, and at 1500mhz would mean 15.7TFLOPs, 

a 4096 core would be 1200mhz =9.8 tflops at 1500mhz =12.2Tflops

24 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

AMD VEGA 10 and VEGA 20 slides revealed.

So VEGA 10, coming in a few months with 16GB of HBM2.
Although not sure what VEGA x2 is. Dual GPU card, or VEGA 11

I too thought dual GPU but then the TDP is only 75 watts higher than normal vega 10?? I don't think it will be dual GPU in the way the 295x2 or 7990 was. I.e. I don't think it will use crossfire. Probably AMD has a hardware solution whereby they can put 2 x vega 10 chips together and their resources are combined with the application being oblivious...

and wtf vega 20 in late 2018?? Isn't that firmly navi territory ? Although it does look like a monster and it's 7nm.

23 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

AMD VEGA 10 and VEGA 20 slides revealed.

So VEGA 10, coming in a few months with 16GB of HBM2.
Although not sure what VEGA x2 is. Dual GPU card, or VEGA 11.

AMD-VEGA-10-specifications-1000x546.jpg

AMD-VEGA-20-specifications-1000x377.jpg

AMD-VEGA-10-VEGA20-VEGA-11-NAVI-roadmap-

http://videocardz.com/65521/amd-vega-10-and-vega-20-slides-revealed

Thank you very much for that.

Going to the OP.

Ye ole' train

1st half of 2017? Usually it means Q2, so May at the earliest with June\July more likely and August for any decent 3rd party custom designs. AMD why u make us wait dis long?:(

1 minute ago, ShiftyFella said:

1st half of 2017? Usually it means Q2, so May at the earliest with June\July more likely and August for any decent 3rd party custom designs. AMD why u make us wait dis long?:(

I'd say the same timeframe as Polaris. Announcement at an AMD event, paper launch at Computex, release in July.

Ye ole' train

5 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I too thought dual GPU but then the TDP is only 75 watts higher than normal vega 10?? I don't think it will be dual GPU in the way the 295x2 or 7990 was. I.e. I don't think it will use crossfire. Probably AMD has a hardware solution whereby they can put 2 x vega 10 chips together and their resources are combined with the application being oblivious...

and wtf vega 20 in late 2018?? Isn't that firmly navi territory ? Although it does look like a monster and it's 7nm.

they must be trying to get higher clocks on vega 20, thats the only reason why someone would double the memory speed on the same core

2 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I'd say the same timeframe as Polaris. Announcement at an AMD event, paper launch at Computex, release in July.

Yeah, most likely. I will hold out hope for retail units of vega+zen available at Computex but chances are bleak

10 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

They said 1H 2017, if it's July I won't be particularly happy.

I think probably towards the end of Q2 Mid/Late May early June.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 minutes ago, wcreek said:

They said 1H 2017, if it's July I won't be particularly happy.

I think probably towards the end of Q2 Mid/Late May early June.

Release at around Computex instead of just a paper launch.

Makes sense. I have this feeling nVidia targets that too for a 1080Ti launch.

Ye ole' train

22 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Release at around Computex instead of just a paper launch.

Makes sense. I have this feeling nVidia targets that too for a 1080Ti launch.

Probably they have their own event that's a paper launch like what they had in Macau but sooner than it was last year, and then probably launch at computex or a bit before. I think we'll probably see AIB card designs around April and them starting to hit shelves around mid/late May. Of course the reference designs going up first. Hopefully AMD can ensure that finding an RX 500 (or whatever their 1070 price and performing equivalent will be) won't be as hard as it was to get a RX 480 when it was launched. Since there seems to be less hype around this launch, this might be a bit better.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

Navi is all about scalability, where multiple GPU cores are seen as a single core, and work as a CPU essentially, with the VRAM as a cache between them all.

I doubt it'll be ready by 2018 if they really want it to work that well. Who knows Maybe VEGA 20 is a stop gap to it, or is significantly better than VEGA 10.

We really don't have any idea, but this is a funky road map.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

13 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

A 1070 core is basically just a bigger 1060

no , a 1070 is a SMALLER 1080 , 1060 is a different thing entirely 

Unbenannt.PNG

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

59 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I think the most important thing on those slides is about Vega 20 and xGMI, "Support for peer to peer GPU communication". Global Memory Interconnect (GMI) is AMD's answer to the issues of communication between CPUs and GPUs plus other memory systems in a multi-chip module (MCM) package, basically an APU for what we'll see.

AMD's GMI - Global Memory Interconnect, extends the coherent fabric between chips on the same multi-chip module (MCM) package. The coherent fabric extends between packages using combo phys which also support PCIe interconnection.

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/38381-amd-s-new-interconnect-tech-is-coherent-fabric

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/38402-amd-s-coherent-data-fabric-enables-100-gb-s

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/37494-amd-x86-16-core-zen-apu-detailed

http://wccftech.com/amd-coherent-interconnect-fabric-gpus-cpus-apus/

Ok so that was GMI but what is xGMI? Which quite clearly states is about inter GPU communication. I suspect this is AMD's answer to the issues of coherent multi GPU compute workloads, what this means for crossfire and games I have no idea but hopefully it's good news and not something exclusive to the server/data center market like NVLink is.

If xGMI could be used to put more than one GPU die on a card and more effectively make use of those resources than crossfire can well I am all for that.

37 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

no , a 1070 is a SMALLER 1080 , 1060 is a different thing entirely 

Unbenannt.PNG

What I meant was that they both are the same architecture and thus share a similarly proportional build cost whereas a Corvette and a Malibu are entirely different and thus the build/material costs aren't relatable. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Probably a GMI solution will consume less power than the PLX chips used for previous dual gpus

Moreover, look at Fiji. They were able to cut 100W of power from the Fury X by lowering clocks and binning a bit more the full chip --> R9 Nano

Put two together and you're done, it's just a matter of low stock voltage/clock and binning.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

10 minutes ago, Agost said:

Probably a GMI solution will consume less power than the PLX chips used for previous dual gpus

Moreover, look at Fiji. They were able to but 100W of power from the Fury X by lowering clocks and binning a bit more the full chip --> R9 Nano

Put two together and you're done, it's just a matter of low stock voltage/clock and binning.

The same is happening currently with the RX lineup. At launch you'd have a really hard time getting an RX480 that pulled 150W while overclocked. Now we see them do 1400+ MHz easily while not consuming more than 140W. 

Ye ole' train