AMD's Vega architecture previewed at ve.ga

captain cactus
37 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Be careful what you wish for

Oh shit. O_O

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

12 minutes ago, peej said:

loogs like amd need to unify there branding 

Untitled.png

they both involve mass killing and blood and violence so meh.

So I guess nobody can possibly win the sweepstakes according to AMD's contest rules?

Im an idiot, thought it started and ended at the same time.

The Sweepstakes will be held on January 5th, 2017 beginning at 9:00 am EST to February 5th, 2017 ending at 9:00am EST

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

So I guess nobody can possibly win the sweepstakes according to AMD's contest rules

The Sweepstakes will be held on January 5th, 2017 beginning at 9:00 am EST to February 5th, 2017 ending at 9:00am EST

what?

I lurk a lot

Just now, peej said:

what?

I'm an idiot, thought it said January 5 2017 9am to January 5 2017 9am.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm an idiot, thought it said January 5 2017 9am to January 5 2017 9am.

LOL I figured that was the case :P 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

LOL I figured that was the case :P 

I don't know what's wrong with me, probably my eyesight with AMD's dark themed pages. I still don't understand how I read it about 12 times and said WTF each and every time I looked at it.

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I don't know what's wrong with me, probably my eyesight with AMD's dark themed pages. I still don't understand how I read it about 12 times and said WTF each and every time I looked at it.

dont worry as someone with dyslexia i feel your pain especially when it comes to white writing on a black background like that 

I lurk a lot

7 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Here's the Vega die. So they have something to show.

UFPITUw.jpg

Does no one realize this is a Xeon E5 2680?

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Does no one realize this is a Xeon E5 2670?

how many people could actually afford to buy a xeon to know how one looks like?

42 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

how many people could actually afford to buy a xeon to know how one looks like?

I had a couple of Xeons on my X58 that were far cheaper than i7's

Just now, Technicolors said:

can someone be so kind enough to give a tl:dr whether AMD will release Vega or not? 

Not at CES. The only thing we saw today was a technology preview of the Vega architecture. Vega might get paper launched at Computex or at a separate event or basically whenever AMD feels like it.

Ye ole' train

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

can someone be so kind enough to give a tl:dr whether AMD will release Vega or not? 

Yes. AMD will release VEGA.

9 hours ago, App4that said:

If AMD was selling 480s at a rate faster than Nvidia could sell 1070s, they win.

I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. It's also a very far-fetched "if"!

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Wow RIP the OEM & IP after Q3 2015, well market really has shift back again. Thanks.

Hate to say I told you so!

2 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. It's also a very far-fetched "if"!

Well if one company sells more product than the other, that's winning. Like a boss.

And it's not that far fetched. If AMD plays their cards right they got Nvidia. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Well if one company sells more product than the other, that's winning. Like a boss.

And it's not that far fetched. If AMD plays their cards right they got Nvidia. 

But it wouldn't be "winning" for AMD even if their 480 were outselling the 1070, which it isn't. It is indeed far-fetched to think that's a plausible scenario.

2 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

But it wouldn't be "winning" for AMD even if their 480 were outselling the 1070, which it isn't. It is indeed far-fetched to think that's a plausible scenario.

So taking market share away from Nvidia isn't winning. I'd be interested in what your definition of winning is then. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Something doesn't seem right with all this Vega stuff... First, they show off a "trailer" where they clearly troll Nvidia and bash their upcoming Volta architecture but after this, we get extremely brief cherrypicked demos on Doom using Vulkan, not even maxed out, where the Vega chip gets a little more fps than a 1080. Why bash explicitely Volta if their top of the line Vega card doesn't compete with a Titan XP ? Maybe they're making an incredible leap forward in terms of perf/watt, but still, where's the raw performance we all want ? I want them to succeed soooo bad, I want to switch to AMD as soon as they can bring a real high end card to the table but man, this is just so disappointing. I really hope we'll see more and better soon.

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

58 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Here's the Vega die. So they have something to show.

UFPITUw.jpg

Why is it not symmetrical? And I want to see a zoomed out image.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, App4that said:

So taking market share away from Nvidia isn't winning. I'd be interested in what your definition of winning is then. 

Taking away market share is great. But I'm talking about profitability, the actual making money part. Nvidia makes so much more money on a 1070 than AMD does on a 480 that even if AMD were selling more of them, this would not be as significant as you apparently believe.

But they aren't, and won't be, selling more of them anyway.

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Why is it not symmetrical? And I want to see a zoomed out image.

Raja_575px.jpg

Not the exact same image, but same chip.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter