AMD's Vega architecture previewed at ve.ga

captain cactus
34 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

Taking away market share is great. But I'm talking about profitability, the actual making money part. Nvidia makes so much more money on a 1070 than AMD does on a 480 that even if AMD were selling more of them, this would not be as significant as you apparently believe.

But they aren't, and won't be, selling more of them anyway.

I'm sure you have evidence of this, the profitability difference that is. I know you wouldn't make blind assumptions. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

I'm sure you have evidence of this, the profitability difference that is. I know you wouldn't make blind assumptions. 

I don't have any sources, but I'm sure nvidia makes more profit on a single 1070 than AMD does on a 480 (or than nvidia makes on a 1060).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't have any sources, but I'm sure nvidia makes more profit on a single 1070 than AMD does on a 480 (or than nvidia makes on a 1060).

Nah, Nvidia has the resources to lose more money than AMD, but you generally make more at a lower price point. People think you make more up top because they pay more. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Nah, Nvidia has the resources to lose more money than AMD, but you generally make more at a lower price point. People think you make more up top because they pay more. 

You make more on the low end as a whole. But on a unit by unit basis the higher end card is more profitable.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You make more on the low end as a whole. But on a unit by unit basis the higher end card is more profitable.

Actually, you'd be surprised how often that's not so. Worked in dealerships for years, worked in china overseeing manufacturing of unit. Always made more down low, up top you have to cut the price to move the product. Not sure on the 1070 and 480 as I've never seen the costs. But I bet even the retailer makes more on a 480. 

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Quite right: it's not blind assumption, but common (business) sense. Generally speaking, higher value items attract greater profit margins than lower value ones. This is how companies like Ferrari are able to make their money, even though they sell relatively few cars. Companies like Volvo are able to make theirs by selling lower value cars, with much diminished margins, at considerably higher volumes.

The reason Nvidia is so successful is that they do both: sell high(er) value cards, with fat margins, at very high volumes. AMD is not going to be able to enjoy even vaguely comparable profitability (at least in their graphics division) unless they compete in that higher end market, since the volumes and margins in the mid range are simply not good enough. As it goes, the 480 is outsold by the 1070, which also has better margins. Imagine how quickly Volvo would struggle if they sold fewer cars than Ferrari!

The upshot of this is that Vega is focused on the higher end of the market, because that's where AMD needs to focus. Let's hope they're successful, no?

2 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

-snip-

So lets recap.

Making an assumption based on better memory, bad. making an assumption based off price, good?

And if you want to use cars, google the profit in a Corvette verses a Malibu. 

41 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

Hate to say I told you so!

Well true over the last year it has shifted a great deal, but without knowing how the breakdown is any GTX card sold could be in the Gaming tally, even ones sold in pre-built systems to businesses.

From the date I mentioned and back the gaming category made up less than half the revenue which is how I thought it still was, even then it was closer to 50% than I thought it was.

What's even more interesting is what was mentioned in this article.

NVIDIA has had a pretty successful run since the introduction of their Maxwell products, and these results are all prior to Pascal even coming on the market in a consumer card

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10319/nvidia-announces-q1-fy-2017-results-strong-growth-in-all-segments

So all the numbers we have been looking at don't include any of the Pascal sales, meaning it will be even more aligned with what you said when those numbers come in.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

So lets recap.

Making an assumption based on better memory, bad. making an assumption based off price, good?

Unlike men, not all assumptions are made equal. Assuming that the 1070 attracts greater profit margins than the 480 is a reasonable assumption that occurs to anyone with a basic knowledge of business. On the other hand, your assumption that Vega will "beat" Pascal based merely on the fact at least one Vega card will sport HBM2 is, well...the less said about it the better. ;)

5 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

Unlike men, not all assumptions are made equal. Assuming that the 1070 attracts greater profit margins than the 480 is a reasonable assumption that occurs to anyone with a basic knowledge of business. On the other hand, your assumption that Vega will "beat" Pascal based merely on the fact at least one Vega card will sport HBM2 is, well...the less said about it the better. ;)

I'd wager my back ground would shock you. As I said, you want to use cars look at the Corvette verses the Malibu. 

3 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

Unlike men, not all assumptions are made equal. Assuming that the 1070 attracts greater profit margins than the 480 is a reasonable assumption that occurs to anyone with a basic knowledge of business.

Yep pretty much. Products that have a higher unit cost generally have greater profit margins to account for potentially lower volume of sale, if you happen to sell them in a higher volume well then..

easy-money-man-rain-money.jpg

Just now, App4that said:

I'd wager my back round would shock you. As I said, you want to use cars look at the Corvette verses the Malibu. 

It's probably better to focus on GPUs; my reference to Ferrari and Volvo was just a learning aid.

Anyway, until you understand the basic principles I've outlined, there's little else to say. But I don't recommend a career in business strategy!

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well true over the last year it has shifted a great deal, but without knowing how the breakdown is any GTX card sold could be in the Gaming tally, even ones sold in pre-built systems to businesses.

From the date I mentioned and back the gaming category made up less than half the revenue which is how I thought it still was, even then it was closer to 50% than I thought it was.

What's even more interesting is what was mentioned in this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10319/nvidia-announces-q1-fy-2017-results-strong-growth-in-all-segments

So all the numbers we have been looking at don't include any of the Pascal sales, meaning it will be even more aligned with what you said when those numbers come in.

I imagine (though I'm not sure) that GPUs sold into pre-built systems would fall under the "OEM" category.

If those figures don't include Pascal, then I look forward to seeing how things have shifted still further.

1 minute ago, Morgan Everett said:

It's probably better to focus on GPUs; my reference to Ferrari and Volvo was just a learning aid.

Anyway, until you understand the basic principles I've outlined, there's little else to say. But I don't recommend a career in business strategy!

LOL!!! I've done everything from clean the toilets to owning the dealership. 

But you have brought a smile to my face. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

LOL!!! I've done everything from clean the toilets to owning the dealership. 

But you have brought a smile to my face. 

And you mine!

Did they live stream it or not? I've been trying to find the live stream where they talked about it but nothing comes up.

I'm so confused... :(

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

5 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Did they live stream it or not? I've been trying to find the live stream where they talked about it but nothing comes up.

I'm so confused... :(

Nope. The countdown was to an NDA lift (look at pcper or anandtech's articles), not a live stream.

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Nope. The countdown was to an NDA lift (look at pcper or anandtech's articles), not a live stream.

they must have had something, because there were photos leaked of the vega die :-|.

22 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

they must have had something, because there were photos leaked of the vega die :-|.

Yeah, I don't know where those came from. Must've been a press-only event at which point why not stream the whole thing.

Ye ole' train

4 hours ago, roylapoutre said:

-snip-

The Vega chip shown was Vega 10 to my knowledge, which was faster than a 1080 in that test. The name scheme goes in the order of which was developed first. Polaris 10 was developed first, then Polaris 11, and more recently Polaris 12. Vega 10 in this instance is supposed to be the smaller chip with 4,096 shaders, while Vega 11 is the bigger chip rumored to contain 6,144 shaders. 

What excites me is the sheer number of shaders built on a new architecture built for high clock speeds and an even higher IPC than GCN already has.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 hour ago, Citadelen said:

Vega 10 in this instance is supposed to be the smaller chip with 4,096 shaders, while Vega 11 is the bigger chip rumored to contain 6,144 shaders. 

What excites me is the sheer number of shaders built on a new architecture built for high clock speeds and an even higher IPC than GCN already has.

Yea, this is really the most important piece of information we need to find out. IF vega 10 is 1080 tier, vega 11 is probably going to stomp on the 1080ti, which may be why we've seen some talk of volta.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

24 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Yea, this is really the most important piece of information we need to find out. IF vega 10 is 1080 tier, vega 11 is probably going to stomp on the 1080ti, which may be why we've seen some talk of volta.

Yeah, if this is "small Vega" that we've been seeing and hearing about, then AMD could be onto a real winner.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, Swatson said:

Previously they shown a similar Vega card running Doom 4K at >60FPS and that card have 8GB of VRAM according to Doom overlay. This time they only show the FPS.

If that overlay display the correct VRAM value then it's probably a lower end Vega unless HBM2 is too expensive for anything over 8GB.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 hours ago, App4that said:

I'd wager my back ground would shock you. As I said, you want to use cars look at the Corvette verses the Malibu. 

In fairness, a car is different from a GPU core. A 1070 core is basically just a bigger 1060 (and only 50% bigger at that) core whereas a Corvette is an entirely different build/quality/construction/etc... compared to a Malibu. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler