Motherboafd chipset heatsink

So while figuring out some cable amagent in my case as I was building I went to go unplug something but it would budge so I pulled a bit harder and my hand slipped and hit the cbipset heatsink on my motherboard.

The heatsink now wiggles if I push down on it,it goes down then comes back up a bit and can wiggle side to side a little,will this be a problem because I can't return it,after 30 days of purchase

1 minute ago, Dogsparky said:

So while figuring out some cable amagent in my case as I was building I went to go unplug something but it would budge so I pulled a bit harder and my hand slipped and hit the cbipset heatsink on my motherboard.

The heatsink now wiggles if I push down on it,it goes down then comes back up a bit and can wiggle side to side a little,will this be a problem because I can't return it,after 30 days of purchase

Depends on your board but most are just held on from the back with some screws, see if they loosened off or if they are the push pins you can re-seat/lock them back into place.

56 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

DSon't foget to replace themal pads/paste

But it isn't off it is still on just loose,never came off 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Depends on your board but most are just held on from the back with some screws, see if they loosened off or if they are the push pins you can re-seat/lock them back into place.

They seem tight but it is just the bottom area that is loose where there aren't any screws just the top and middle area if it.

1 minute ago, Dogsparky said:

They seem tight but it is just the bottom area that is loose where there aren't any screws just the top and middle area if it.

If the screws are tight it should be ok then as long as it's still making good contact with the VRM or chipset. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

If the screws are tight it should be ok then as long as it's still making good contact with the VRM or chipset. 

I don't k ow if it is making good contact though it could be I don't know,never experience this before

2 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

I don't k ow if it is making good contact though it could be I don't know,never experience this before

Easiest way to make sure would be to take it off and reseat it, if they use thermal pads make sure they are not ripped and apply new paste if there is paste. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Easiest way to make sure would be to take it off and reseat it, if they use thermal pads make sure they are not ripped and apply new paste if there is paste. 

I don't know where to get new thermal pads around here,and could ivuse thermal paste that came with my cpu cooler?

Paste is the same, unless it's thermal adhesive to glue it on. Lots of inexpensive heatsinks are stuck on with adhesive now, so you might have snapped the glue loose.  It happens and it's a cheap fix.

As for pads, they are pretty hard to damage once they are between the heatsink and chip.  If not, Amazon or Newegg sells them cheap.

1 hour ago, Evanair said:

Paste is the same, unless it's thermal adhesive to glue it on. Lots of inexpensive heatsinks are stuck on with adhesive now, so you might have snapped the glue loose.  It happens and it's a cheap fix.

As for pads, they are pretty hard to damage once they are between the heatsink and chip.  If not, Amazon or Newegg sells them cheap.

So I need thermal adhesive not thermal paste?

1 hour ago, Evanair said:

So to clarify can I use the thermal paste if it isn't a glue type thermal adhesive then I can use the paste that comes with the cpu cooler?

4 hours ago, W-L said:

This it's what the heatsink looks like if I press down on it just a little

8 hours ago, Dogsparky said:

This it's what the heatsink looks like if I press down on it just a little

Oh that's not too bad just make sure the screws are tight on the back. The thermal pads should bee able to be re used, you don't want to use thermal adhesive that stuff is permanent. 

32 minutes ago, W-L said:

Oh that's not too bad just make sure the screws are tight on the back. The thermal pads should bee able to be re used, you don't want to use thermal adhesive that stuff is permanent. 

Well I wouldn't want to be taking it off on the first place,so it is thermal pads that I would need to reattach to it then?

35 minutes ago, W-L said:

And also I made another with a different view that actually shows a but more 

1 hour ago, Dogsparky said:

And also I made another with a different view that actually shows a but more 

I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems it doesn't seem like a lot. 

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems it doesn't seem like a lot. 

I took thebheatsibk off the bottom part of it isn't mounted just where the chip set is so it hangs of onto the motherboard,maybe that is why