Difference between connecting via Ethernet and via wifi

TaZKobRa

Does connecting to a router via Ethernet have any benefits over connecting to it via wifi? I'm more on the online gaming side of things, so i'm particularly worried about higher ping and possibly lag. Would appreciate the opinions of anyone who has experience regarding this.

less prone to interference.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Most high quality wireless routers are pretty good. However, most hardcore gamers say they can notice the difference. I personally use wifi and play games like CS:GO all the time without any lag related issues. Comes down to the user though, if you live in a dense area there may be many other signals interfering with your own. Ethernet is more reliable, but I personally have never noticed the difference.

Wifi is wireless, its relying on ample conditions to transfer data over the air. It has inherent lag, and is prone to interference and obstructions. Its like throwing something and relying on someone else to catch it every time. Ethernet is a straight, direct connection. Its not very prone to interference. Think of it as directly handing the object to the person. Its for sure, and reliable every time.

Ethernet is ALWAYS the preferred connection method, however, under proper conditions, wireless can work great.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

in general - AKA when the wiring isnt total shit - running over ethernet is essentially "lossless" as in next to no packages get lost.

beyond that, ethernet is generally cheaper, and in all but the best wifi devices faster in real world scenarios.

--

generally, for both setups if done well neither is *really* superior in terms of connection for stuff like gaming. but ethernet is largely recommended over wifi as a default (as in - wifi is only recommended if ethernet isnt an option) because it's the cheaper option, it's generally more reliable, and even the wifi solutions that dont suck are "mehh" at best.

beyond that there's also the occasional worries about security and/or health. (with WPA2 these two are roughly equally questionable problems, because its "practically impenetrable")